Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forest Service LWCF Acquired ID Land

Sytes

In April, The Conservation Fund bought the property and held it until the Forest Service was able to get the money to buy the land.

Money for the Forest Service purchase came from the federal Land and Water Conservation Fund, a popular program that supports conservation and outdoor recreation projects across the country.

By the article's description and those involved, it appears to be a quality 960 acre purchase.

3.8mil... 4k per acre.

Grats to those involved. I'd be curious, for those in the know, what is the process used to access $ from the LWCF coffers for these projects? @Ben Lamb / others?

Land trusts like the one mentioned in the article actively seek out LWCF dollars in a variety of ways when they have good projects to promote, Charles.

To build on this, my understabding is that most of these projects are partnerships between land trusts, state & federal agencies & private land owners that take years to develop & piece the funding together. The LWCF part is fairly complex depending on what you are doing & which piece of lwcf you are looking to use. Most projects get ranked by the DOI (USFWS) based on slidingng scale of importance, support in the local area & political backing. LWCF funding isn't guaranteed until DOI outs it's stamp of approval on the project and it's turn in que comes. Then you have special focal areas that each administration gets to decide where they feel the greatest need is (Rocky Mountain Front CE's for example).

It's been a while since I've worked that closely on LWCF, but I think that's still how it goes.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back