Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Forest Service Issues ‘E-Bike’ Guidance

I get your point but let's be real. People are going to continue to move to Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Utah etc. to "get away" from the more populated areas. They love the idea of living where they can easily access their forms of recreation. The problem isn't a few hundred mountain bikers. Much like you elude to in your comment above, the problem is less wintering ground, more people, everywhere they can be, due to trail systems. More roads/highways cutting off migration routes etc. There are millions of acres of land that people aren't riding bikes into and people are rarely hiking/backpacking into. But these same people are all living in the foothills below these wilderness areas where the generations of animals have been able to escape the worst of winter. Today, there are houses, ranchettes, roads, etc. all over those areas.

I am not saying that I don't have to do my part to make it better, but do we all really believe that ebikes are what are causing the demise of deer and elk herds? Maybe there is some culpability in those promoting hunting on TV, social media etc. There has been a huge influx of "new hunters", most of which have significantly improved gear versus when most of us started. Don't we have to take some responsibility in the type of equipment we use to hunt with? Rangefinders, Long range rifles and turreted optics, electronic aiming devices on bows, scopes on muzzleloaders? How about the ease of using a program like OnX or even GoHunt in helping know where to go. I would venture to say that these advancements have as much or more to do with the reduction of herds as anyone riding in the summer on designated trails on a mountain bike, ebike or not. People are already hiking, running, recreating on these trails. Mountain bikes are not the issue, with a motor or not. The issues are the encroachment of people, particularly their homes, and the huge influx of more population. I have seen the population triple in my state over the last couple of decades. Most of you here in the West have seen something similar.

Our desire to keep the trails only accessible to those who want to hunt is a no-go in my opinion. For the trails to exist, they will have to have other uses. Period. That said, I will ride my eMtb where ever it is legal to do so. Where I live, that is mostly foothill and some cool alpine/subalpine trails that are mixed use. I have little desire to ride my mountain bike on a boring fire road, gravel road or pavement. At least not when there are opportunities to legally ride on single track trails. I will however ride my bike on the fireroad, gravel roads etc. when it is my only option. And you will never catch me creating my own trails, on a bike, ATV, truck etc. ever.

There, I have vented. We all have things that we deem important. We all will fight for them in ways that we feel we should. I will continue to fight for the ability to ride my Class 1, pedal assist ebike anywhere someone can ride a bike at all. And most likely, I will continue to use my Leupold CDS scope on a high powered rifle to hunt with. Or my compound bow with a slider sight and an accurate rangefinder. Or, I will as long as it is legal to do so. I am venturing that all of you will do the same.

FH
Ok but in Montana E-bikes are illegal on any road or trail where motorized vehicles are prohibited. mtmuley

I get your point but let's be real. People are going to continue to move to Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Utah etc. to "get away" from the more populated areas. They love the idea of living where they can easily access their forms of recreation. The problem isn't a few hundred mountain bikers. Much like you elude to in your comment above, the problem is less wintering ground, more people, everywhere they can be, due to trail systems. More roads/highways cutting off migration routes etc. There are millions of acres of land that people aren't riding bikes into and people are rarely hiking/backpacking into. But these same people are all living in the foothills below these wilderness areas where the generations of animals have been able to escape the worst of winter. Today, there are houses, ranchettes, roads, etc. all over those areas.

I am not saying that I don't have to do my part to make it better, but do we all really believe that ebikes are what are causing the demise of deer and elk herds? Maybe there is some culpability in those promoting hunting on TV, social media etc. There has been a huge influx of "new hunters", most of which have significantly improved gear versus when most of us started. Don't we have to take some responsibility in the type of equipment we use to hunt with? Rangefinders, Long range rifles and turreted optics, electronic aiming devices on bows, scopes on muzzleloaders? How about the ease of using a program like OnX or even GoHunt in helping know where to go. I would venture to say that these advancements have as much or more to do with the reduction of herds as anyone riding in the summer on designated trails on a mountain bike, ebike or not. People are already hiking, running, recreating on these trails. Mountain bikes are not the issue, with a motor or not. The issues are the encroachment of people, particularly their homes, and the huge influx of more population. I have seen the population triple in my state over the last couple of decades. Most of you here in the West have seen something similar.

Our desire to keep the trails only accessible to those who want to hunt is a no-go in my opinion. For the trails to exist, they will have to have other uses. Period. That said, I will ride my eMtb where ever it is legal to do so. Where I live, that is mostly foothill and some cool alpine/subalpine trails that are mixed use. I have little desire to ride my mountain bike on a boring fire road, gravel road or pavement. At least not when there are opportunities to legally ride on single track trails. I will however ride my bike on the fireroad, gravel roads etc. when it is my only option. And you will never catch me creating my own trails, on a bike, ATV, truck etc. ever.

There, I have vented. We all have things that we deem important. We all will fight for them in ways that we feel we should. I will continue to fight for the ability to ride my Class 1, pedal assist ebike anywhere someone can ride a bike at all. And most likely, I will continue to use my Leupold CDS scope on a high powered rifle to hunt with. Or my compound bow with a slider sight and an accurate rangefinder. Or, I will as long as it is legal to do so. I am venturing that all of you will do the same.

FH
For those very reasons, more restrictions and limitations are needed to preserve and protect the essence of why people are moving to those states. In Montana the impacts are already staggering. If we don't rein in the crazy motorized / mechanized impact on our heretofore pristine peaceful outback lands ... then the Last Best Place will evolve into the next worst place, just like the messed up places those same people moved from with their machines to now mess up Montana.

Is there a final clear rule from the national forest service? Sorry im too lazy to read the whole thread ha ha . Are they only allowed on roads and trails open to all motorized vehicles? I’m in Idaho and people are using them a lot on gated roads not open to anything motorized. Also quite a few on non motorized trails

You first need to determine who is the administrator of the “public” land in question. County? State? BLM? USFS?

Then you need to check the appropriate administrators rules and regs to determine if there are blanket policies or parcels specific policies. If it’s unclear, it’s best to contact the local administrator to get specific guidance. There’s a lot in flux on these things, so the answers can actually change over time. Don’t trust what you might read on the internet.

Is there a final clear rule from the national forest service? Sorry im too lazy to read the whole thread ha ha . Are they only allowed on roads and trails open to all motorized vehicles? I’m in Idaho and people are using them a lot on gated roads not open to anything motorized. Also quite a few on non motorized trails
I would check in to that. That type of use is illegal in Montana on USFS land. I believe that goes for USFS in any state. mtmuley

A final clear rule on anything from the FS, ha!

If you are talking specifically about Forest Service managed lands, here is the FAQ: https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/e-bikes

Excerpt:

Where are e-bikes currently allowed on national forests and grasslands?

Class 1, 2, and 3 e-bikes are allowed on motorized trails and roads on national forests and grasslands. Additionally, several year-round resorts operating under a special use permit have established e-bike use within their permit boundary.

Local Forest Service officials may consider new opportunities for e-bike use on non-motorized trails and in non-motorized areas by utilizing a designation process in accordance with the Travel Management Rule (36 CFR Part 212, Subpart B). Designations involve appropriate environmental analysis, public involvement, and local decision-making.

Bottom line, it’s currently up to the local offices to define whether e-bikes are permitted on select non-motorized trails. Without specific designation, they are not permitted.

There was clear USFS guidance 17 pages ago, people like to bitch!

There was clear USFS guidance 17 pages ago, people like to bitch!
Mmm didn’t read the whole thread. Excuse me sir! I don’t like to bitch but it’s been less than clear around my parts. I will diligently read (or not) I don’t really care one way or the other just wanting to know the rules. Glad there is clear guidelines though

If you are talking specifically about Forest Service managed lands, here is the FAQ: https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/e-bikes

Excerpt:

Where are e-bikes currently allowed on national forests and grasslands?

Class 1, 2, and 3 e-bikes are allowed on motorized trails and roads on national forests and grasslands. Additionally, several year-round resorts operating under a special use permit have established e-bike use within their permit boundary.

Local Forest Service officials may consider new opportunities for e-bike use on non-motorized trails and in non-motorized areas by utilizing a designation process in accordance with the Travel Management Rule (36 CFR Part 212, Subpart B). Designations involve appropriate environmental analysis, public involvement, and local decision-making.

Bottom line, it’s currently up to the local offices to define whether e-bikes are permitted on select non-motorized trails. Without specific designation, they are not permitted.
Thanks 👍

Next thing ya know it will be electric side by sides on closed roads. They’re quiet you know.

This is an issue of thresholds, and when enough is enough. The motorized versus non-motorized is a clear case definition and where we should draw the line in my opinion. As pressure increases unrelentingly on public lands and wildlife increasingly taxed, I see no need to inject a new mode of transportation that allows users to disturb more ground and wildlife per unit time on the landscape with less effort, utilizing a new and quickly developing technology.

There’s canaries dropping dead in coal mines all over the place. You can only take and take and take and engage in more and more and more for so long. It’s Damned obvious to me.
Well we could take that a step further and ban walking on the roads either open for all or none ????????????????
Fact is it's public land not private property

I would check in to that. That type of use is illegal in Montana on USFS land. I believe that goes for USFS in any state. mtmuley
No Sir that is incorrect, it's not even state by state it's up to the forest director in each National Forest.

No Sir that is incorrect, it's not even state by state it's up to the forest director in each National Forest.
I'll look in to it but I think you are wrong. My stance is pretty strong on keeping them in motorized use areas only. And while I'm kinda lazy I'm not lazy enough to ride an Ebike. So if you could post a link to what you said that would be great. mtmuley

Last edited:
I'll look in to it but I think you are wrong. My stance is pretty strong on keeping them in motorized use areas only. mtmuley
guess I don't really have a dog in the hunt yet, but I'm planning to soon. I'm a disabled veteran and the only way I could ever get into the woods that far back is to use a ATV (which is very painful) or a E-bike with my crossbow.So maybe the powers to be might look at some expection for the disabled.

Last edited:
I'll look in to it but I think you are wrong. My stance is pretty strong on keeping them in motorized use areas only. And while I'm kinda lazy I'm not lazy enough to ride an Ebike. So if you could post a link to what you said that would be great. mtmuley
btw please correct me if I'm wrong on this subject.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back