MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forest Service Issues ‘E-Bike’ Guidance

btw please correct me if I'm wrong on this subject.
I do know that State land, BLM and National Forest rules differ. Last I checked National Forest rules classified them the same way nationwide. I may be wrong also. mtmuley

Well we could take that a step further and ban walking on the roads either open for all or none ????????????????
Fact is it's public land not private property
They are open currently to access, just not off a motorized (electric or internal combustion engine.) What most are saying is why ease those restrictions further? We are not advocating to lose any access, just not to expand it.

So what about game recovery? I have to drag around a wheelchair around,and have been working a few years trying to get to the point I can ride a e bike and still not sure I'll ever get there, it kinda seems Access is the issue some have here?(less is better) maybe I'm reading into it but public hunting land should be open to all hunter regardless how they have to access it.

So what about game recovery? I have to drag around a wheelchair around,and have been working a few years trying to get to the point I can ride a e bike and still not sure I'll ever get there, it kinda seems Access is the issue some have here?(less is better) maybe I'm reading into it but public hunting land should be open to all hunter regardless how they have to access it.

Just throwing it out there for those who might be unfamiliar, Montana offers "Hunting from a Vehicle" permits (PTHFV) for those with accessibility limitations as well as discounted tags for combat disabled veterans. More information can be found here: https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/licensingbasics

Montana FWP works with the USFS to provide areas where those with the PTHFV can go past otherwise gated and closed roads. There is a check out system for gaining access.

I know PotlatchDeltic and others will issue mechanized access permits (and keys!) to holders of blue placards.
It would be worth checking with the local ranger district or state land agencies about accommodations.

To answer your specific question:
Not less access, just no mechanical advantage over walk in access.
This allows for accomodations if they are needed.

Last edited:
Just throwing it out there for those who might be unfamiliar, Montana offers "Hunting from a Vehicle" permits (PTHFV) for those with accessibility limitations as well as discounted tags for combat disabled veterans. More information can be found here: https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/licensingbasics

Montana FWP works with the USFS to provide areas where those with the PTHFV can go past otherwise gated and closed roads. There is a check out system for gaining access.
Thank you Sir there is a starting point, I dislike the ideal of hunting from a vehicle it takes away from the hunt.IMO Texas also allows the same hunting from a parked vehicle I tried it once and didn't feel like I was hunting at all

'Don't know where you are from, but in Montana and most western states there are many, many public lands such as wilderness areas, wilderness study areas, wildlife management areas, state lands and others with limited access not only to "all hunter" but to everyone.

I have personally accompanied a disabled hunter who had a pass and key to access USFS lands behind a locked gate to travel by vehicle to hunt. He was not successful that day, but we were prepared for both of us to work at field dressing any deer or elk and for me to haul it back to the pickup. It's a good program with advantages for disaabled hunters.
Also accompanied my son who drove a parapalegic hunter into an area where he could shoot a cow elk long distance from the vehicle (with a permit). I was in complete awe and admiration of this disabled hunter, as he plopped down out of the pickup truck, pulled his knife out, and crawled over to begin field dressing his elk!

I am opposed to opening non-motorized pristine outback areas to motorized access ... regardless of the perceived desire!!!

'Don't know where you are from, but in Montana and most western states there are many, many public lands such as wilderness areas, wilderness study areas, wildlife management areas, state lands and others with limited access not only to "all hunter" but to everyone.

I have personally accompanied a disabled hunter who had a pass and key to access USFS lands behind a locked gate to travel by vehicle to hunt. He was not successful that day, but we were prepared for both of us to work at field dressing any deer or elk and for me to haul it back to the pickup. It's a good program with advantages for disaabled hunters.
Also accompanied my son who drove a parapalegic hunter into an area where he could shoot a cow elk long distance from the vehicle (with a permit). I was in complete awe and admiration of this disabled hunter, as he plopped down out of the pickup truck, pulled his knife out, and crawled over to begin field dressing his elk!

I am opposed to opening non-motorized pristine outback areas to motorized access ... regardless of the perceived desire!!!
As a disabled hunter I thank you for your understanding. I have the same type of problems with walking and have a permit to shoot from my vehicle. Without that our chances of success are quite dismal.

They are open currently to access, just not off a motorized (electric or internal combustion engine.) What most are saying is why ease those restrictions further? We are not advocating to lose any access, just not to expand it.
I kindly disagree due to the fact that people being as selfish as they are, you will end up with a whole bunch of people in the backcountry where it really takes a lot of work to get there and you have to sacrifice to hunt in the wilderness/ backcountry areas. I used to pack in for many miles into the wilderness and backcountry areas. After some injuries I no longer have that opportunity I am now disabled and can just hunt from my truck. I would hate to see those special areas but people especially those from out of state they do not treat the land right with the access they have now. I would not want them destroying anymore because they have a lot of money to get around the rules. That is already done too much by the outsiders that have came into our state now.

I kindly disagree due to the fact that people being as selfish as they are, you will end up with a whole bunch of people in the backcountry where it really takes a lot of work to get there and you have to sacrifice to hunt in the wilderness/ backcountry areas. I used to pack in for many miles into the wilderness and backcountry areas. After some injuries I no longer have that opportunity I am now disabled and can just hunt from my truck. I would hate to see those special areas but people especially those from out of state they do not treat the land right with the access they have now. I would not want them destroying anymore because they have a lot of money to get around the rules. That is already done too much by the outsiders that have came into our state now.
Man, the reading comprehension of some of these AI bots really isn’t up to the task.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back