Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forest Service Cabin

wytex

Don't know if you all are aware that the Forest Service maintains a system of cabins, guard stations and work stations, throughout the country. I know here in Wyoming these can be rented for most of the year and very reasonable costs. We hunted out of an old "Guard Station" in western Wyoming that had bunk beds, propane fired frig, cook stove, and heat with indoor plumbing, shower and flush toilet. It cost us $30 a night. After certain dates in October the water is shut off and a vault toilet was on site. A great big old wood cook stove was also in the cabin. Basic cooking utensils are usually provided. While not all are located in the best hunting spots we drove a few miles each day and had a nice shower to come back to each night. www.recreation.gov

I've stayed in one up in Montana a couple times. Not a bad option if you don't have a wall tent and you want a nice warm wood fire on the cold nights.

Use one every May for a guys weekend in the mountains. Pretty nice to be able to take a shower after a day for ATV riding, fishing, etc. Has a refrig, propane stove and heater, sleeps four and runs $65 per night. Have used it enough that we always take some tools to do a little fixing and give the floor a good scrub. Understand that some retired FS folks are caretakers of these gems so anything we can do to help, we do.

One of my kids favorite vacations was renting a ranger station in Wyoming. They are all grown but we were just talking the other day about looking for one to rent again.

Yep, FS Cabins are great. Some need to be reserved way in advance (they are available to reserve 6 mos prior to the first night), especially during hunting season.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back