Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Foraged Food Thread

Used to collect tons of Chantrells,morells,oysters on the central coast. The creek outside the house fed watercress,wild celery,and berries.

I’ll bet the moisture in coastal Oregon makes for all kinds of interesting fungi. Nice haul!
Lots of chanterelles and a good amount of cauliflower mushrooms. Hedgehogs are rare, the spot we got these produced last year too but it’s the only spot I’ve found them.

Lots of chanterelles and a good amount of cauliflower mushrooms. Hedgehogs are rare, the spot we got these produced last year too but it’s the only spot I’ve found them.
The hedgehogs are plentiful inland towards the cascades in the fall. They are a different color than the ones you showed so they are probably a different species but delicious none the less.

Morels, oyster mushrooms, and asparagus should all be popping up right now around here. Unfortunately, I just started physical therapy on my left knee so I may be somewhat limited on how much foraging I will be able to do this spring. We used to pick nettles this time of year also, but I decided the mediocre flavor wasn't worth the discomfort.

I’m sorry I heard this song the other day and it reminded me of the thread.

Morels are popping here but they are a week+ late based on the last few years. We seem to have the moisture but nighttime temps in the 30s are not helping. Should still be a good year with the moisture we have. Seems to be that every other year is very good on the spots I find morels.

Morels didn't happen this year in my area. The weather was too cool when we had the moisture. Tried a dryads saddle for the first time. It was tough and smelled terrible when I cooked it. But the lack of morels hurts less knowing in a few weeks the chanterelles will be popping up.

The recent fire spot I wanted to check for morels is still under a few feet of snow. Had a nice walk in the woods at some lower elevations over the weekend, but not a fungi in sight.

Asparagus is up. Marked them last year with stakes and mowed down earlier this spring to make finding them easier. 18 oz for our first cutting.

Attachments

• 34AA6CC0-A1B3-4043-9AED-0F84EC0FFC51.jpeg
    34AA6CC0-A1B3-4043-9AED-0F84EC0FFC51.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 6993BBF4-616D-44EF-8F6C-CA7B4F775827.jpeg
    6993BBF4-616D-44EF-8F6C-CA7B4F775827.jpeg
    8.3 MB · Views: 29
1652204318003.jpeg
Took my wife out on Mother’s Day and we got into some. They had just popped and didn’t have much size to them. Ended up with near 80. My almost 2 year old son even picked a couple. Will probably head out this evening. Should be some more up with recent rain and sunshine.

I'm heading to Michigan in two weeks (+/-) and hopefully some morels still around then

they don't grow where I currently live and wander

definitely late around here, the weather has been all over the place but there are a few popping up...
full

I was flicking through some old photos and ran into this photo of me excitedly picking up “flying ants” (termites) with some younger Kenyans.

8BB007C1-7FF7-43C7-909A-9759A5CCE083.jpeg

If there is rain on three consecutive nights, the hopeful new queens will swarm out of their nests, fly up into the mating swarms, drop to the earth, pull her wings off and dig into the softened soil to lay her first batch of eggs in an attempt at starting a new colony.

In general there are two ways to go about eating termites: eat them as they are captured, or catch them, putting them into a container (the enameled cup as seen in the photo) and then eating them later. I’m a one at a time kinda guy.

The rest of the group of Americans were speechless as I dropped to my knees and started eating termites just as fast as the school kids.

What areas would I find ramps in? I live in WV and I hunt mushrooms often but never have had any luck finding ramps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back