Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

for the 1000th time - Caliber options?

recently i turned 71 and for my bday brought a 300 wsm browning with a 26 inch barrel and factory brake,,it acts like a 270 and ive fired it without muffs..125 to 220 gr or so projectiles whats not to like,,two weeks chasing tahr and i just love it,,you know its there when carrying it but its no different when i was carrying a brno zkk 600 270 at 21 yrs of age

One rifle for AK? Thats crazy talk...

For a light rifle I'd build a 280ai. If you "need" a bigger rifle, get a bigger bore, not just faster bullets... A 280 and a 338WM or 375H&H would be about as perfect of a pair as you could get for AK.
Thats the plan. I just talked to the wife cause she wanted to know what was left after I get tis 280AI finished - custom guy up here in North Pole is doing some work on it for me - and I told her a BIG Bear/Bison gun. 45-70 Lever Action (Marlin or Henry) or a 375 H&H Size piece... she was immediately upset she asked.

I also am going to inherit my Dads Anniversary Edition Remington 700 BDL in .30-06.
So when that happens I'd have the 6.5 Creed, Kimber 280AI, Remington BDL .30-06 and then a .45-70 or 375 H&H.

Thats the plan. I just talked to the wife cause she wanted to know what was left after I get tis 280AI finished - custom guy up here in North Pole is doing some work on it for me - and I told her a BIG Bear/Bison gun. 45-70 Lever Action (Marlin or Henry) or a 375 H&H Size piece... she was immediately upset she asked.

I also am going to inherit my Dads Anniversary Edition Remington 700 BDL in .30-06.
So when that happens I'd have the 6.5 Creed, Kimber 280AI, Remington BDL .30-06 and then a .45-70 or 375 H&H.
I'd think that should just about cover it... Maybe.

In a perfect world a 300wm shooting 180 gr ttsx would whack every animal you listed. In a mountain rifle the recoil would be severe and as mentioned it could cause you a flinch. The most forgiving big game caliber I have used is an 06 and it will kill everything on your list. Ballistics are good with a wide range of bullet weights. It is pretty plain though and would Disappoint anybody looking at your new custom rifle. The would prob ask why you didn’t get a cm. 😁

In a perfect world a 300wm shooting 180 gr ttsx would whack every animal you listed. In a mountain rifle the recoil would be severe and as mentioned it could cause you a flinch. The most forgiving big game caliber I have used is an 06 and it will kill everything on your list. Ballistics are good with a wide range of bullet weights. It is pretty plain though and would Disappoint anybody looking at your new custom rifle. The would prob ask why you didn’t get a cm. 😁
I was down to the 280 Ackley Improved and the .30-06. Picked up the .280 AI, rifle should be done January 15, and so I’m going to pick up ammo so I can shoot it!

Last edited:
Are you looking for caliber or cartridge? For what you are planning to use it for .32 caliber or the 8mm rem mag would be a good choice esp. if you use a decel or similar type recoil pad and a muzzle brake which will make it loud. Better to be over-gunned for non-dangerous game than under-gunned for dangerous game. 8mm mag components aren't even scarce and the selection of bullets is adequate. I mentioned to a Sierra rep about the GameChanger bullets in 8mm and the last thing we need is yet another elk bullet. He sort of agreed.

What changes did you make?
So I'm working with a guy here in North Pole, Alaska - he is doing the work. Bedded the barrel, opened up the magazine a little, cut the barrel down to 22", threaded, got me a break, he is installing a TriggerTech Trigger, refaced the barrel, double checked all the screws, etc and polished the ramp and chamber a little. I am getting the stock Hydro-Dipped because it is scuffed up from getting bedded/worked on and then I have the options to Flute and Cerakote the Action, Barrel and Bolt.
I was going to wait till it was done to introduce it but I just took 2 Caribou at 280 and 350 yards on my last weekend I could hunt the winter hunt up here. 140 grain Nosler AccuBonds - this rifle is doing awesome.

@antelopedundee - I ended up with the above pictured 280 Ackley and plan to get the Nosler 160 Grain Partitions lined up as they are a killer hunting bullet. I'm going to start reloading and am looking at the Hammer and Maker bullets as well for once I get a pile of Brass.

So I'm working with a guy here in North Pole, Alaska - he is doing the work. Bedded the barrel, opened up the magazine a little, cut the barrel down to 22", threaded, got me a break, he is installing a TriggerTech Trigger, refaced the barrel, double checked all the screws, etc and polished the ramp and chamber a little. I am getting the stock Hydro-Dipped because it is scuffed up from getting bedded/worked on and then I have the options to Flute and Cerakote the Action, Barrel and Bolt.
I was going to wait till it was done to introduce it but I just took 2 Caribou at 280 and 350 yards on my last weekend I could hunt the winter hunt up here. 140 grain Nosler AccuBonds - this rifle is doing awesome.

@antelopedundee - I ended up with the above pictured 280 Ackley and plan to get the Nosler 160 Grain Partitions lined up as they are a killer hunting bullet. I'm going to start reloading and am looking at the Hammer and Maker bullets as well for once I get a pile of Brass.
There are some who consider the teflon based coating called black or green T to be better than CeraKote. Being somewhat budget you're likely better doing the CeraKote.

ioas6Z0.jpg

There are some who consider the teflon based coating called black or green T to be better than CeraKote. Being somewhat budget you're likely better doing the CeraKote.

ioas6Z0.jpg
Oh that's interesting. I'll talk to the Custom Maker - he does it himself when he flutes. I couldn't afford the barrel upgrade that he normally does so we are running the stock barrel just chopped down. We are waiting to flute/coat after I've used it. I like the stainless look but feel that since I'm in Alaska it is never a bad idea to get this stuff extra protected. I'll check out the Teflon thought that sounds really interesting.

-06 or .308?

If you're looking to make it a light weight mountain gun you'll probably end up with a shorter barrel, and you'll have a hard time getting a magnum to perform with shorter, light barrel. At least not a whole lot better than a non-mag.
Agree with Brian. I would go 308. Short action and good with 22 or 24 inch barrels. Lighter recoil and will take down anything in NA out to 400 yds if you place your shots well. I run a Kimber with a Leupold Vx-6HD that is under 7 lbs and I can shoot that all day with 150-180 gr loads. Rifle will do sub 0.75 MOA, shooter can do sub-1.0. Wide ammo choices.

I have the same rifle, Kimber Montana 280ai, but haven’t done anything to it except bed it myself. I’m installing a suppressor as soon as I get it.

I shoot 160gr accubonds in mine. They’re elk killers.

Agree with Brian. I would go 308. Short action and good with 22 or 24 inch barrels. Lighter recoil and will take down anything in NA out to 400 yds if you place your shots well. I run a Kimber with a Leupold Vx-6HD that is under 7 lbs and I can shoot that all day with 150-180 gr loads. Rifle will do sub 0.75 MOA, shooter can do sub-1.0. Wide ammo choices.
Alpine, nice! I ended up with Kimber M84 Montana in 280 Ackley Improved. I'm excited. Harvested 2 Caribou this past Sunday at 280 and 330-350 yards. Great rifle

Oh that's interesting. I'll talk to the Custom Maker - he does it himself when he flutes. I couldn't afford the barrel upgrade that he normally does so we are running the stock barrel just chopped down. We are waiting to flute/coat after I've used it. I like the stainless look but feel that since I'm in Alaska it is never a bad idea to get this stuff extra protected. I'll check out the Teflon thought that sounds really interesting.
My main reason for the Black T was because the action was chrome moly and the barrel brand only available in stainless and the smith's bluer was unavailable. His opinion/experience was that the teflon was better than CeraKote.

I have the same rifle, Kimber Montana 280ai, but haven’t done anything to it except bed it myself. I’m installing a suppressor as soon as I get it.

I shoot 160gr accubonds in mine. They’re elk killers.
THATS AWESOME!
Yeah, some there is a Custom Gun Builder here in North Pole, AK and I went through him.
So we cut the barrel to 22", threaded and I got the Kimber Radial Break. He refaced the Barrel/Chamber and made sure 100% plumb. Opened up the Magazine slightly so there is less pressure when you have all 4 rounds in. Bedded the barrel. Putting in a TriggerTech Trigger when it arrives. He also polished and made sure all the screws were properly lengthened as Kimber occasionally will ship one with screws to long. So checked all the finer points. Getting the stock dipped Kuiu Vias, and if I'm happy with the stock barrel (which is my plan) he will flute the Barrel and Bolt and then Cerakote the barrel and action a color of my choice to match the Kuiu Vias. Throw on the Talley Rings as well - I've got mine setup currently with the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40. I shot the 140 AccuBonds and they were KILLER. I tested the 160 Grain Nosler Partitions and 162 Hornady ELD-X and they grouped well but those 140's had a 1-1.5 inch drop at 200 yards from my 100 yard zero. I accidentally spine shot one of my Caribou because the bullet at 280 dropped so little. I'm super excited. I want to do either the 160 Accubonds or the 160 Partitions if I can. But those 140s for smaller game just were amazing.

My main reason for the Black T was because the action was chrome moly and the barrel brand only available in stainless and the smith's bluer was unavailable. His opinion/experience was that the teflon was better than CeraKote.
interesting never heard that but I've never really looked into it! I'll be sure to check it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back