Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

For bird dog lovers.....

onpoint

Last October my seven year old girl tore an ACL. Surgery on December 1'st, less than fun 12 week recovery/rehab phase, finally off leash end of February.

Immediately blows ACL other side around March 1st.

Surgery April 1st, less than fun 12 week recovery/rehab phase again, off leash end of June.

July/August work her back into shape and hope she can still hunt at 8 years old after two pretty radical surgical procedures..........

She hunted blue grouse, pounding 7000-7500 foot ridges for three days straight, ending this morning. I have my partner back. She was like her former self and exhibits little or no discomfort after three days of tough high country hunts.

If anyone is unfortunate enough to have your dog tear a cruciate ligament, it's a very common injury, check into TPLO surgery. Find a Vet who does this procedure often and follow the rehab instructions diligently. I'm pretty pleased with the results I'm witnessing in my best bud.....

Attachments

• b15.jpg
    b15.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 662
Glad to see your pup is doing well after what must have been some very trying times during the rehab. Keeping a dog that is bred to run from running after the surgery must have been a challenge. Especially after she started to feel better. She looks like she was enjoying herself and getting a couple birds over her probably helped get her up the hill.

Very happy to see this, knowing your connection to dogs. I hope you and your partner have many more great days ahead.

Awesome picture, and even better to hear your Bud is back in business.

Glad to see the surgery/surgeries worked out for the two of you.
My young lab blew out her acl and had the procedure done last July. Like you mentioned it is very common for the dog to tear the ligament in the other leg. She gets sore in the opposite leg now, I think it is only a matter of time before that one goes.
Bottom line the procedure is great, but plan on having a second surgery in the future.

I'll keep my fingers crossed as my wife was a little displeased with the first doctor's bill :eek:

Just love that you take care of your dog.

I spent a few bucks on my dog, Had cancerous growths that was hurt the girl. Best money I have spent. She lived a full life to 12 years and went out with all the family love.

Glad she's doing good and able to hunt! Great pic!

Big dumb dog had the exact same thing happen. She only points deer though. After the second surgery, she's still not 100% like yours, but is still tearing up the trails if we don't go over 4-5 miles with her. She is 100 pounds and 9.5 years old though, and arthritis is setting in.

It's expensive, she's worth it.

11960164_10153207831968931_3859238912379235098_n.jpg

You can tell she loves it, she looks like she's smiling. Cherish every minute 'cause great hunting partners are hard to come by.

A follow up to this story.
My girl has now passed her decade mark. She is still out there with me doing what she does best. Her repaired knees (both of 'em) are holding up just fine. she may not hunt a hard three day stint, but she's still strong and tough as hell. She even gives her 2 1/2 year old buddy a run for her money.
If you have a dog that blows an ACL, don't think it's the end of the world. Get a good surgeon to do the procedure. If anyone around Montana has it happen, feel free to contact me - I'll testify...
bdec1.jpg
IMGP0207.jpg

Attachments

• bdec1.jpg
    bdec1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 254
Awesome. Our 12 year old lab/bernard mix had both legs done a few years ago as well. It's helped keep our old dog active and fit, and she's only now getting into the health issues many dogs her size get around age 8. Those surgeries can be life savers for pups!

Awesome. Our 12 year old lab/bernard mix had both legs done a few years ago as well. It's helped keep our old dog active and fit, and she's only now getting into the health issues many dogs her size get around age 8. Those surgeries can be life savers for pups!

Yep.
I have heard some who have stated that when a bird dog suffers an injury of this type, the dog is done hunting. Guess they don't have time and heart to give to a dog who gave them exactly that.
I'll save my unedited opinion of people such as that, and just say that just because you can have a dog, doesn't mean you should....

Yep.
I have heard some who have stated that when a bird dog suffers an injury of this type, the dog is done hunting. Guess they don't have time and heart to give to a dog who gave them exactly that.
I'll save my unedited opinion of people such as that, and just say that just because you can have a dog, doesn't mean you should....

Agreed.

Dogs are the best people I know.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back