Yeti GOBOX Collection

Football General Talk

how does jokic fit into this theory/debate of needing to have a mindset to win?

that dude hardly even wants to play, and if he wants to win, it's only because he feels like he has to play.

I think that is a misread of the Joker's mindset. He is presently the player I most enjoy watching. He works very hard at his craft. Just look at the way he has transformed his body from when he came into the NBA. Compare that to...Zion.

What I think he has little interest in is the attached celebrity that come with being such a great basketball player.

Maybe you don't need to sit a QB for years to become a star. Maybe you just need to spend ALL of those high draft picks on the 5 in front of him on the field. And a play caller that does not allow only dink-and-dunk plays.

If you do that, I would argue ANY decent college QB can win.

Proof? Well, Brady of course, and Purdy probably.

Brady made sure his line was always PDG, and thus he played for a long time.

Don't buy it? It's the same type of proof many of you are making about winning and losing teams. (but my hypothesis is right :) :) :) ).

However, if I was GM or owner, I'd put 1/2 my payroll into those front 5 and cheap out on the rest.
Totally agree on the OL but to me its not about "any decent" QB to win. Its about having at least an average talent WITH HIGH IQ.

Totally agree on the OL but to me its not about "any decent" QB to win. Its about having at least an average talent WITH HIGH IQ.
I have no idea what IQ has to do with anything, nor do I know what the IQs are of any quarterback. Do they measure IQ? Does ANYONE measure IQ? Any decent quarterback is a guy that can thrown average distances with average precision and read defenses okay (the last is mostly the responsibility of the guys "upstairs"). Give him time in the pocket and freedom from worrying about concussions and busted knees, and he will get the job done.

Proof = Trent Dilfer

I think that is a misread of the Joker's mindset. He is presently the player I most enjoy watching. He works very hard at his craft. Just look at the way he has transformed his body from when he came into the NBA. Compare that to...Zion.

What I think he has little interest in is the attached celebrity that come with being such a great basketball player.

i think you're probably right. but i can't help but think some of his public statements along the lines of "this is literally just a job for me, and i'll retire asap. i just want to be in serbia enjoying horse life, that's my passion" is still telling. it really seems that to a degree he actually doesn't care nearly as much about basketball as as a lot of other professionals, especially those like lebron.

lebron is the epitome of man with a winning mindset, and talent to boot.

anyway, we can get back to our regularly scheduled programming. for a guy who barely follows the NFL i can still say i've found these playoffs to be wildly interesting.

I guess I’ll start another argument today. 😂. If nfl teams didn’t believe IQ played a role why in the hell does every player take the wonderlich test?

In case you are wondering a perfect score is 50. Tom Brady scored a 33, Aaron Rodgers scored a 35, Dak scored a 25 Eli Manning scored a 39 and Peyton scored a 28. From those it is obvious that cognitive ability isnt everything and there are many pieces to the puzzle

I guess I’ll start another argument today. 😂. If nfl teams didn’t believe IQ played a role why in the hell does every player take the wonderlich test?

In case you are wondering a perfect score is 50. Tom Brady scored a 33, Aaron Rodgers scored a 35, Dak scored a 25 Eli Manning scored a 39 and Peyton scored a 28. From those it is obvious that cognitive ability isnt everything and there are many pieces to the puzzle
Everybody wants an easy answer to a question that doesn’t have one. As for WL test, they have actually being putting much more emphasis on the “S2” test lately - and it is reported that the S2 score made Young a slam dunk #1 and Stroud outside first round option. This was one of the big reasons Carolina picked Young over Stroud and Texans ignored the test and watched the man play - whoops.

Everybody wants an easy answer to a question that doesn’t have one. As for WL test, they have actually being putting much more emphasis on the “S2” test lately - and it is reported that the S2 score made Young a slam dunk #1 and Stroud outside first round option. This was one of the big reasons Carolina picked Young over Stroud and Texans ignored the test and watched the man play - whoops.
I know they are phasing out the wonderlic. The s2 is still measuring cognitive ability. And like I said it is not a perfect indicator of success.

I have no idea what IQ has to do with anything, nor do I know what the IQs are of any quarterback. Do they measure IQ? Does ANYONE measure IQ? Any decent quarterback is a guy that can thrown average distances with average precision and read defenses okay (the last is mostly the responsibility of the guys "upstairs"). Give him time in the pocket and freedom from worrying about concussions and busted knees, and he will get the job done.

Proof = Trent Dilfer
Sorry, "football IQ". I.e. your last point. The QB's ability to recognize what the defense is doing in front of him with 15 seconds left on the play clock and within that time, being able to change the play if necessary and know and understand that he needs to call for the snap before the clock hits zero.

That QB that looks rushed and keeps letting that clock hit zero would be a QB with poor football IQ. Case in point - look at Love this year during his rough stretch this season. His clock management as the QB was all over the board and horrendous. Look at him now lately. He looks calm. No nerves. Stone cold killer coming up to the line, reading that defense and delivering a strike. Go look and watch Brady play closely. He was the same stone cold killer pre snap. Rodgers - how many times was he aware of the defense substitutions and forcing a timeout or getting the penalty? How many times did his hard count with an immediate snap by the center lead to a free play?

Give me a QB that builds up that football IQ and has average talent with your mentioned pro bowl quality O-line and you have yourself a playoff ready offense.

The Cowboys are the gift that keeps on giving. Even after getting bounced out of the playoffs, they are in the news, like their situation warrants the continued coverage.

The next drama since they are going to keep McCarthy...is should Dak get extended, and for how much. Of course they extend him, for too much. Next summer they will talk about all the work he put in and has taken his game to a new level. There will be new pronouncements about how they filled a few gaps with the draft picks.

It will play out very closely to how it went this year.
The Cowboys and Lakers are similar in that they can win impressively and then get blown out unexpectedly.

Sorry, "football IQ". I.e. your last point. The QB's ability to recognize what the defense is doing in front of him with 15 seconds left on the play clock and within that time, being able to change the play if necessary and know and understand that he needs to call for the snap before the clock hits zero.

That QB that looks rushed and keeps letting that clock hit zero would be a QB with poor football IQ. Case in point - look at Love this year during his rough stretch this season. His clock management as the QB was all over the board and horrendous. Look at him now lately. He looks calm. No nerves. Stone cold killer coming up to the line, reading that defense and delivering a strike. Go look and watch Brady play closely. He was the same stone cold killer pre snap. Rodgers - how many times was he aware of the defense substitutions and forcing a timeout or getting the penalty? How many times did his hard count with an immediate snap by the center lead to a free play?

Give me a QB that builds up that football IQ and has average talent with your mentioned pro bowl quality O-line and you have yourself a playoff ready offense.
Won’t work without arm talent. An nfl QB has to hit deep slants or they are way to easy to defend. Also ball placement - watch how Cousins placed the ball for JJ vs Mullins Some qbs are bright enough to play be not enough arm talent to make the plays their brain is telling them to do - again, Mullins.

I would like to thank each and every one of you that kept the Dallas Cowboys as a front and center topic of discussion. Makes me giggle. Especially since there are way more important football related games and coaching changes coming up. LMFAO. mtmuley

As a Lions fan, I can’t help but think the game we lost to the Cowboys has come back to now help us. Of the three other NFC teams remaining, I’d gladly take the Bucs over the newly hot Packers or season long formidable 49ers. And I hope the Lions face the Bills or Texans in the Super Bowl. At least then a market that has never had a SB champ could savor it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back