Flying with MR packs

mrmedora

So I recently purchased a MR Crew Cab from a fellow HT'er. I typically use a backpack to accompany my carry-on so I don't have to "check" a bag when flying. My question is, does anyone use a MR pack in the same way I used to use a backpack. They are much bigger and bulkier than a traditional backpack and just don't want to run into any suprises at the terminal. My initial reaction is that they are frowned upon, but I'd love to be able to use it in the way I want.

Thanks,
Scott

I only used MR for one season(2 flights), but I think a Crew Cab with anything in it would push the limits of carry on. Like most things involving air travel these days, it probably depends on how full the flight is and the flight attendants. I fly enough to know I'd rather just put my backpack inside a duffel bag and check it.

Just my opinion, but I think trying to carry on a bag that ends up getting gate checked is selfish and poor etiquette.

Last edited:
I'd just replace my standard carry-on with the MR pack, just be careful not to overload it and keep the small backpack for under the seat.

With dustin on the baggage etiquette though, really irritating to see folks with gigantic carry-ons try to get them in the overhead when they clearly won't fit.

I haven't traveled with the Crew Cab. I always use my Smaller MR bag as a carry on though. My issue is a different one. I carry explosives regularly in that bag and when they were doing the explosives residue swipes, I almost always set them off. I just look at them and tell them that I'm EOD and carry explosives in the bag a lot. Not once have they stopped me. They shrug their shoulders and say…….OK, go ahead. :eek:

I'm sure that was no help at all on your question. My opinion is that the Crew Cab would probably be to big for a carry on.

Consider that a CC is basically the same size as most carry-ons, its not a problem. I use to fly with mine all the time. Wrap the waist belt back around the front of the bag to keep it out of the way, and chinch down the shoulder straps and it slips right in the overhead without problem. I've never been checked for size/weight, and its a good thing... I've easily had over 50 lbs of gear in my CC before.

Consider that a CC is basically the same size as most carry-ons, its not a problem. I use to fly with mine all the time. Wrap the waist belt back around the front of the bag to keep it out of the way, and chinch down the shoulder straps and it slips right in the overhead without problem. I've never been checked for size/weight, and its a good thing... I've easily had over 50 lbs of gear in my CC before.

Carry on size is 22" long x 14" wide x 9" high. A Crew Cab is right on the border.

Wrap the waist belt back around the front of the bag to keep it out of the way, and chinch down the shoulder straps and it slips right in the overhead without problem.

Pretty much exactly how I do it as well, fits nicely in the overhead.

Good insight fellas, just what I needed. Dustin, you're right on, I definatly don't want to be "that guy". As for ditching the carry on and just bringing the MR, now that sounds like incentive to just get another MR. One for business travel and one for hunting. Yep, I'm convincing myself right now that is the way to go. Probably wait for the new Terraplane to come out and retire the CC to travel baggage. Thanks guys!!

Carry on size is 22" long x 14" wide x 9" high. A Crew Cab is right on the border.

It's those specs or a combined 45 linear inches. According to the MR site, I don't have a Crew Cab in hand(my used one is on its way!), the combined linear inches of the pack is 49". But, I'm sure a guy can smash 4" out of the pack to get it down to size. Still, pretty borderline as you mention.

Good insight fellas, just what I needed. Dustin, you're right on, I definatly don't want to be "that guy". As for ditching the carry on and just bringing the MR, now that sounds like incentive to just get another MR. One for business travel and one for hunting. Yep, I'm convincing myself right now that is the way to go. Probably wait for the new Terraplane to come out and retire the CC to travel baggage. Thanks guys!!

Check out the Red Oxx packs and bags for air travel. I purchased one for business and leisure trips but also use mine for some hunting gear. I also own two of their basic duffle bags as well as their Gator bag for my laptop and work. They've got a number of bags designed for carry-on use and they are extremely rugged. American made in Montana too.
http://www.redoxx.com/travel/

Now all you need to do is put a frozen sheep cape in the carry on and Your rolling :). Who does that anyway.....

Now all you need to do is put a frozen sheep cape in the carry on and Your rolling :). Who does that anyway.....

Cargo hold is much colder at 40,000 ft.
I always check my backpack because it's too bulky with camp gear and knives. I put it inside a large dry-bag, and on the way home I place my game meat & capes inside my sleeping bag lined with plastic bags and then placed inside the dry-bag. No need for taking an ice-chest.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back