Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Flying with meat

Freeze the meat, and buy some cheap coolers at the local Walmart. Fill to 49 pounds and fill the rest of the way with news paper, and duct tape close. This will last at least a couple days frozen .

Heads up- checked bags get damn cold in the cargo hold, so the meat will stay frozen longer, but you do have to trust the airline to not lose them on the ground where they can get hot. Carry-on bags get warmer in the cabin, but you don't have to let them out of your sight.

I've carried meat home wrapped in jackets and sleeping bags in my carryon, but nothing more than 20# at a time.

Last edited:
These are great options for meat and hide, but what do you guys do with antlers if you want to bring them home?

I was looking at this, I think I could get a skull capped set of antlers, hide and a whole boned out deer in there. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 21343A93-96B7-4DA2-B9CA-03E205C382AA.png
    21343A93-96B7-4DA2-B9CA-03E205C382AA.png
    6 MB · Views: 9
I've been doing some digging on how to fly with meat.

Has anyone checked frozen meat (vac sealed), wrapped in a thermal blanket, stuffed in a duffle bag? How did it work? Seems like a light weight option. Could see myself easily getting 80 lbs of meat in a large duffel.
I have flown with meat several times without any problems using ice chest. If you are using dry ice it must have a drain hole for gas to escape....However, if the meat is vac packed and frozen solid you do not need dry ice as frozen ice subs or thermal blankets work fine and meat will stay frozen solid for 12 hours +.

I'm going from Anchorage to Boston.
My plan is to split the antler and then wrap them. Carry-on as much meat as possible and then put the rest frozen in some cheap coolers. Coolers this time since I have a connection in Seattle.

I'm not sure if air cargo is worth the hassle. Personally I'd book the direct flight from Salt Lake to Anchorage and then just check everything. Dry ice is usually overkill for nonstop IMHO.
Dry Ice is overkill and if you use frozen ice gel packs/thermal blankets you can use an ice chest that does not have a drain.

I was looking at this, I think I could get a skull capped set of antlers, hide and a whole boned out deer in there. What do you guys think?
I did my caribou skull plate in a hanging clothes box from Home Depot, I packed all my gear around it, and then put the meat in a tote with my sleeping bag.

That bag seems like it would be to narrow for the antlers? Depends on the size of the buck you shoot.

I did my caribou skull plate in a hanging clothes box from Home Depot, I packed all my gear around it, and then put the meat in a tote with my sleeping bag.

That bag seems like it would be to narrow for the antlers? Depends on the size of the buck you shoot.
I like that idea. Did you fly with that hanging clothes box or ship it home prior to heading back

I flew with everything.
Gotcha. I’m trying to figure out how much it would cost to fly home with a gun case an oversized bag for meat and and oversized box for antlers. I’m assuming that’s gonna cost 4 or 500 in baggage?

Gotcha. I’m trying to figure out how much it would cost to fly home with a gun case an oversized bag for meat and and oversized box for antlers. I’m assuming that’s gonna cost 4 or 500 in baggage?
Depends on the airline 4 bags would be $150 with southwest I think.

I just looked and with American Airlines I can have a carry on of 22x14x9. I feel like I could fit a boned out deer in a bag that size. If I froze it and put contractor bags inside the suitcase I feel like I would make it home, it’s only a 5 or 6 hour flight

I brought a boned out, cut, and wrapped mule deer in a soft cooler as a carry on bag and replayed that tactic with 30 lbs of elk a few years later. You get some good second looks as it goes through the machine. Dry ice in a cooler for a checked bag may work, but verify that's ok with the chosen airline ahead of time.

Over a long travel day of over 10 hours I found the meat did alright and remained pretty solid.
This is good to know. American Airlines allows a 22x14x9 as a carry on. I feel like if I get a soft sided bag with these dimensions I could get a whole boned out buck in there. Worst case I leave some of the lesser cuts back in Colorado for my buddy

Taxidermist doesn’t have a problem shoulder mounting after that right? I’m assuming it wouldn’t be an issue
Don't split the skull plate in a straight line, cut it like this. Easier to put together correctly when it fits together like a puzzle piece.
Also, tape spent shotgun shells or pieces of rubber hose to the sharp antler tips so that they don't poke through your box or baggage.
20230421_083948.jpg

Freeze the meat, and buy some cheap coolers at the local Walmart. Fill to 49 pounds and fill the rest of the way with news paper, and duct tape close. This will last at least a couple days frozen .
This is the way. Bonus if you already have it cut and vac-sealed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back