Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

For me, depends on the pattern. Most nymphs and dries less than a few minutes, articulated streamers with spun deer hair heads can be 30-40 minutes though. Typically the simpler and faster the tie, the more fish it’ll catch

Reactions: Hem
Out of curiosity, how long does it take(on avg) to make a fly? Some really neat pics.

The fly in post #102 above takes me about an hour with some time to let glue dry at the start, but I'll get 4-5 of the hook shanks going at a time and by the time I'm done with the last one the first one is ready to start tying on. I can rip out a craft fur-type streamer in about 10-20 minutes depending on how many colors I use. I fish streamers on 0-1X line though too, so I rarely lose them.

The fly in post #102 above takes me about an hour with some time to let glue dry at the start, but I'll get 4-5 of the hook shanks going at a time and by the time I'm done with the last one the first one is ready to start tying on. I can rip out a craft fur-type streamer in about 10-20 minutes depending on how many colors I use. I fish streamers on 0-1X line though too, so I rarely lose them.
My grandpa had a bunch of gear that the family still has. I might have to see if I can get my hands on it and give it a try.

Yesterday was one of those days where I knew the fishing conditions would....well suck. 18 degrees with wind blowing upriver. High humidity.
Running out of my freewheeling time skiing and fishing so decided I better bite the bullet for a couple hours.
Yep, half gloves only help so much.
Frozen fingers, frozen line guides, frozen reel, even some ice on the line. Losing battle plunging everything in the water to de-ice.
Found a few willing fish.
Envious of the guys on the other side of the river fishing with a nice fire between them.🤣20240215_155418.jpg

Yesterday was one of those days where I knew the fishing conditions would....well suck. 18 degrees with wind blowing upriver. High humidity.
Running out of my freewheeling time skiing and fishing so decided I better bite the bullet for a couple hours.
Yep, half gloves only help so much.
Frozen fingers, frozen line guides, frozen reel, even some ice on the line. Losing battle plunging everything in the water to de-ice.
Found a few willing fish.
Envious of the guys on the other side of the river fishing with a nice fire between them.🤣View attachment 315765
Jealous at how often you get to get out fishing!

I'm tying a few of my basic streamer patterns tonight. Playing with some color combinations.
I sometimes run them under the faucet to see what they look like wet.
You can hold me to it....this fly will catch me some fish.View attachment 314274
Can’t quite do it like you Hem, what’s the secret to your yellow sculpin? Missed the brown barred bunny part when I was at the fly shop
IMG_4425.jpeg

Can’t quite do it like you Hem, what’s the secret to your yellow sculpin? Missed the brown barred bunny part when I was at the fly shop
View attachment 316189
You are tracking just fine.
The tendency of this fly is for it to get bulky. Your proportions will work. However, I have found if I take the 1/4" magnum bunny fur and split it down the middle I can create less bulk, especially when wrapping around the dumbell. The length of the tail seems to have a sweetspot...I think you can shorten yours a bit. The inclination to wrap the dumbell thoroughly seems logical, but again bulk becomes a result. I have tried one pass over the dumbell and one in front. Looks hokey when dry, but when wet the hair seems to disguise well enough.
The bulky flies will work, but in my experience slightly less works better to imitate the sculpin.
Hope this helps.

You are tracking just fine.
The tendency of this fly is for it to get bulky. Your proportions will work. However, I have found if I take the 1/4" magnum bunny fur and split it down the middle I can create less bulk, especially when wrapping around the dumbell. The length of the tail seems to have a sweetspot...I think you can shorten yours a bit. The inclination to wrap the dumbell thoroughly seems logical, but again bulk becomes a result. I have tried one pass over the dumbell and one in front. Looks hokey when dry, but when wet the hair seems to disguise well enough.
The bulky flies will work, but in my experience slightly less works better to imitate the sculpin.
Hope this helps.
Helps a lot, that makes sense. Thanks for the pointers I’ll give it another shot!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back