Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

Everything advertised since the creation of this thread has sold....fingers crossed @MTLabrador doesnt go on a bender between now and next week for one item.

Proceeds are being reinvested. New two hand rod, and my 25.06 Sendero re- bored.

Breaking even better than breaking bad.🤣
What’s the .25-06 becoming?

What’s the .25-06 becoming?
Re-bored might wrong terminology.
It's staying a 25.06 , but my gunsmith worked on the chamber zone. I bought the rifle used years ago, it was virtually new. But I think it wasn't broken in properly and the chamber area/ barrel wasn't cooled as necessar. It always shot pretty well, but seemed to be losing accuracy in recent years, even though it always has been a designated antelope gun and used sparingly. He also re- aligned the bolt and replaced a few things.
So, guess I'll see. Worth a try. Still like that " old school" rifle.

Tom Rosenbauer and Orvis have good beginner videos as well. “Reading Trout Streams” is a good book you can fun used for cheap.

The Troutbitten podcast and the whole Troutbitten website in general is a wealth of knowledge.

Wet Fly Swing podcast is great too. Pick and choose guests, same with the Tom Rosenbauer The Orvis Fly Fishing Guide podcast, based on tactics, species, styles, etc you are interested in learning.

Looks great, I’ll find one and pick it up. Hopefully I’ll be contributing in no time!
I have a library of books which helped me when I was a kid many moons ago.
I think a good approach is to start with one aspect of fly fishing and get a handle on that before moving on to another.
Give us an idea where you can fish, I'll bet as a collective we can simplify things a bit and get you started.

I have a library of books which helped me when I was a kid many moons ago.
I think a good approach is to start with one aspect of fly fishing and get a handle on that before moving on to another.
Give us an idea where you can fish, I'll bet as a collective we can simplify things a bit and get you started.
I’m in SE WY, so anywhere in norther CO and most of all WY. Lots of lakes, fair bit of streams. Rainbows, brooks and browns are what I typically have seen. Few places offer bass and salmon.

I’m in SE WY, so anywhere in norther CO and most of all WY. Lots of lakes, fair bit of streams. Rainbows, brooks and browns are what I typically have seen. Few places offer bass and salmon.
Do you have any gear at this juncture?

Do you have any gear at this juncture?
Yeah I have an older fly rod I restrung a few years ago and a small box of wet and dry flies. Pretty decent assortment. What I don’t have is waders (anymore at least) or a net but that’s an easy fix.

What are your guy’s favorite streamers?

I’ve probably had the best luck getting fish to chase and eat a sparkle minnow in sz 4 or 6, on both sunny days and cloudy days. I landed a pile of browns from the boat a couple weeks ago and it seemed they highly preferred the sparkle minnow over anything else we threw at them.

I need to fish black more but it always seems to be at the bottom of my batting order from a confidence standpoint.

Yeah I have an older fly rod I restrung a few years ago and a small box of wet and dry flies. Pretty decent assortment. What I don’t have is waders (anymore at least) or a net but that’s an easy fix.
You have enough to get fishing.👍
My opinion.
When Spring waters calm down try fishing small mountain creeks with dry flies. You can wet wade...no waders, just wading shoes or sandals( Tevas, or the like). It can be hard on the feet so support is a must. Fish are typically small, no net needed.
Presuming you have some sort of floating line on your reel..attach a 7'6" leader with a 3x or 4x diameter at the end. Most modern fly lines have a loop at the end, as do store bought leaders. Use a simple loop to loop knot.Tie on a dry fly using a clinch knot. See if you are able to identify some of your dry flies as " attractor" flies.
Attractor patterns are not hatch specific, necessarily, more attention getters.
Most mountain creek trout are eager to eat, so they aren't too choosy. So a good attractor pattern usually is all it takes.
Cast the fly upstream and let it drift towards you or past you. Try to make the fly drift at the same speed as the current.
you don't have to be a great caster to fish creeks. Sometimes you can sneak up to a pool and poke the rod out to lower the fly to the water. Don't get frustrated snagging brush and shit when casting...it happens to everybody.
My main mountain creek fly is a MadamX.
I have altered the original design some, but the original is still money. For creeks I feel a size 10-12 works pretty good, though I prefer size 12.
Plenty of support on- line...Google knots etc. It's all there.
Really rather easy to get fishing. Just keep it simply, master one technique and move on. Patience is key. @perma wet your hands always before handling fish and don't put a death grip on them. Back in the water asap.
Anyway, nutshell tutorial. Feel free to ask questions. Younger people are the future of fishing.

You have enough to get fishing.👍
My opinion.
When Spring waters calm down try fishing small mountain creeks with dry flies. You can wet wade...no waders, just wading shoes or sandals( Tevas, or the like). It can be hard on the feet so support is a must. Fish are typically small, no net needed.
Presuming you have some sort of floating line on your reel..attach a 7'6" leader with a 3x or 4x diameter at the end. Most modern fly lines have a loop at the end, as do store bought leaders. Use a simple loop to loop knot.Tie on a dry fly using a clinch knot. See if you are able to identify some of your dry flies as " attractor" flies.
Attractor patterns are not hatch specific, necessarily, more attention getters.
Most mountain creek trout are eager to eat, so they aren't too choosy. So a good attractor pattern usually is all it takes.
Cast the fly upstream and let it drift towards you or past you. Try to make the fly drift at the same speed as the current.
you don't have to be a great caster to fish creeks. Sometimes you can sneak up to a pool and poke the rod out to lower the fly to the water. Don't get frustrated snagging brush and shit when casting...it happens to everybody.
My main mountain creek fly is a MadamX.
I have altered the original design some, but the original is still money. For creeks I feel a size 10-12 works pretty good, though I prefer size 12.
Plenty of support on- line...Google knots etc. It's all there.
Really rather easy to get fishing. Just keep it simply, master one technique and move on. Patience is key. @perma wet your hands always before handling fish and don't put a death grip on them. Back in the water asap.
Anyway, nutshell tutorial. Feel free to ask questions. Younger people are the future of fishing.
Well that was more than what I bargained for, really appreciate the post.

Agreed on the gear, I knew I had enough to just go, I think additions will be convenience items more or less.

A lot of the smaller streams and pools I know of are still closed for the year so I’m still stuck to larger lakes half thawed, but have bookmarked this post.

Reactions: Hem
What are your guy’s favorite streamers?

I’ve probably had the best luck getting fish to chase and eat a sparkle minnow in sz 4 or 6, on both sunny days and cloudy days. I landed a pile of browns from the boat a couple weeks ago and it seemed they highly preferred the sparkle minnow over anything else we threw at them.

I need to fish black more but it always seems to be at the bottom of my batting order from a confidence standpoint.
The Sparkle Minnow is one I wanna get into tying. Just got the materials for it last week but haven't gotten around to tying them yet. My favorite streamers are wooly buggers, small articulated wooly buggers, and rusty trombones.

Also, if anyone wants a couple streamers I've tied let me know. Just cover the shipping and you can have them. Only stipulation is you actually fish them and let me know how they work.

The Sparkle Minnow is one I wanna get into tying. Just got the materials for it last week but haven't gotten around to tying them yet. My favorite streamers are wooly buggers, small articulated wooly buggers, and rusty trombones.

Also, if anyone wants a couple streamers I've tied let me know. Just cover the shipping and you can have them. Only stipulation is you actually fish them and let me know how they work.
I tied up an articulated sparkle minnow today, have had great luck on one similar but with a deer hair head IMG_4749.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back