fluting a barrel

VAspeedgoat

I have rescently stumbled across a custom rifle that is for sale pretty much exactly how I have been dreaming one up except for the barrel. It is a heavy contour barrel but not a bull barrel. My question is can I flute this barrel or am I looking for trouble,wasting time, wasting money, or all three? It weighs in at 8.5 right now so not a brute but I wanted a light weight rifle. The guy has a plastic stock to replac the verry nice wooden stock which may help but I would prefer to leave it wooden. I may just buy and just deal with it. Any thoughts?

If you search YouTube for a video of barrel fluting you will see how much of a pain it is to set up the lathe and how time consuming it can be. From what I have seen the weight savings is insignificant, especially for the cost. Just my opinion of course.

I have never used them for anything but their is a company here in Wyoming called twisted barrel they will flute your barrel and I believe your bolt. I know a couple people that have used them for that and are really happy with the results.

Something to consider.

If you are considering it for weight savings then I wouldn't waste your time. Mere ounces.

Twisted Barrel (Douglas, WY) as mentioned does have pretty reasonable prices for fluting.

I asked my gunsmith about fluting the heavy barrel on my .338-06. He asked me if I had any change in my pocket. I pulled out a quarter, two dimes, and three pennies. He said that's about how much weight it would take off.

I agree with all the responses above on the weight savings being nill. However, from my perspective fluted barrels just look sweet, and I can't wait till I have some spare funds available to flute my .300. If it's your dream rifle, I say buy it and make all the modifications you want too!!! Chances are you won't regret it.

I agree with all the responses above on the weight savings being nill. However, from my perspective fluted barrels just look sweet, and I can't wait till I have some spare funds available to flute my .300. If it's your dream rifle, I say buy it and make all the modifications you want too!!! Chances are you won't regret it.

And that is the other side. If you just like the looks and want it fluted then go for it. I would never tell anyone what they should like aesthetically.

Fluting the barrel is just part of the equation. It isn't insignificant when combined with other weight savings.

Twisted Barrel did a great job on fluting, coating and adding a knob to a bolt for me. Quick turnaround at a fair price. I rebarreled the rifle going heavier to provide meat for the can to seat against and went through the same dilemma in hopes of reducing weight...decided cost and possibly messing with a good shooting gun didn't justify it for me. Ymmv.

Read some interesting stuff about a barrel fluting gone bad. The barrel fluted was a small contour to start with. After fluting the rifle won't shoot. Anything it seems. Speculation is it affected the bore somehow. Most barrel makers have a minimum diameter they will flute. mtmuley

Ended up not getting it, decided to save my money and get exactly what I wanted. It was a .284 on a mauser action. I still want to get one some day but what I wanted was a light rifle for still hunting with some character. It was pretty darn close though. Thanks to all for helping me make an informed decision.

Probably a good idea to just get what you want, but rebarreling a Mauser action is a piece of cake with simple hand tools and lots of patience. I have done two custom Mausers that are now among my favorite guns. If you are handy, and it was a good deal, you should consider buying it for a later project!

If you are considering it for weight savings then I wouldn't waste your time. Mere ounces.

Twisted Barrel (Douglas, WY) as mentioned does have pretty reasonable prices for fluting.

What's pretty reasonable Southwind, if you don't mind me asking? I like that look.

It's your choice and how much money you want to put into a rifle.. This guy at Dead Down Range does some impressive work but it's not cheap.
http://www.deaddownrange.com/services.html

Yeah Tyler does great work, might be worth checking to see if he could give you some info on getting it fluted. I know a buddy of mine owns a machine shop, and has fluted several barrels. Might be worth checking at a good local machine shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back