floridas bear population on the rise.

tnctcb

black bear seasons have been closed everywhere in the state of florida for several years and many places have never had one due to shrinking populations.in all my life i have never heard of anyone killing one here even when we did have a season.i took my family hunting in the ocala national forest this weekend and the park ranger was telling us not to let our kids get to far from camp after dark because they have become so populated.a friend of mine told me he saw one while we were hunting there last year and another friend who was with us this weekend said he thought he heard one last night before he came out of the woods( and he was in so thick he wouldnt have seen it until it was just a few feet from him), basically i thought both of these guys were full of crap.today i was driving back from hunting to help my wife break camp and a huge black bear was standingright on the side of the road and didnt move until i was right on top of him.when he decided to go he was gone, i couldnt believe how fast that big thing could move.i have heard that there is talk of opening the season again but dont know if thats true.this is the first time ive ever seen a bear that wasnt in a cage or in the smoky mountains. how dangerous are these things at normal ranges, will they run from a human or are they likely to stand their ground. when im hunting my kids are normally running around the campsite and into the woods surrounding it and i dont want them to think its neat and end up dead.cool weekend but didnt see anything else by the way.

Good story Tim. Did the ranger say if a season would be opening anytime soon? I think most of the time a bear will avoid humans if given the chance. I know they are always avoiding me anyway. :rolleyes: :(

They avoid you Elky because they see how good you are at hunting elk and they don't want to get shot.
biggrin.gif

elky the ranger didnt say anything but a game warden told me they were considering opening it back up in the next year or so.due to floridas piss poor game management im sure it wont stay for long though. if i remember corectlly they had no season limit when we had a season like most other animals, while this may seem like a hunters dream it really sucks when animals are extremely over hunted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back