Yeti GOBOX Collection

Florida fishing?

Bwana

Am planning to head to Florida in late March, early April of 2016 and would LOVE to scratch a bucket list event off of my list and that would be catching a tarpon.

Anyone have any insight they would be willing to share either here or via PM regarding places to stay and a captain to fish with? I've never hired a guide for anything so am a bit leary but don't really think I have an option since we don't do much in the way of tarpon fishing here in North Dakota. :) Though tarpon is my primary goal, I would not be opposed to catching shark either.

Though we have never been there our intent is to fly into Orlando, rent a car, and then head south towards the Keys. Therefore any insight you could provide that would point me in the direction of a fishing guide that doesn't cost an arm and three legs and knows how to find tarpon &/or shark during the March-April timeframe, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Bwana

Got to scratch the Tarpon off my list back in late May 2010. After much research at the time, we went with Lenny Leonard (Key West) http://www.bonefishingkeywest.com/.

We picked a good one, Lenny took good care of us, we each got a jumbo tarpon to the boat (100+), broke off several. Don't have pics here at work, but can send you some if you like. 16' flats boat, we fishing spinning gear, but he has fly fishing gear as well. Wasn't cheap, but figured I have no idea if I will ever get down here again, going to go with a good one. Like I said, we did. I would definitely recommend him. What was nice is he did not fish with the other guides at the communal spots, we were pretty much by ourselves the whole trip - he had his own honey holes.

Found a couple on the phone;
IMG_0310-copy.jpg

IMG_0354-copy.jpg

Some great offshore fishing in early May around cape Canaveral.I did a charter trip then and got mahi,wahoo,shark.Sailfish were around but not in the mood to bite that day.Its only an hour drive from Orlando.Can't help with tarpon though.Seriously consider a offshore trip.The bite starts earlier in the keys and you should have good chance at sailfish,mahi.Fishing the gulf stream is really something.The water clears up to a turquoise color,and its temp goes way up into the 70's.You could jump off and have a swim 20-30miles out.Super fun fishing trip
If your set on tarpon,good luck.Not sure when the best timing is for that

I fished with Capt. Jim Huddleston out of boca. We fished boca grande pass. He was great and the fishing was fantastic! It was combat fishing as the pass is neither wide nor long but if you want to catch a big tarpon or hammerhead, that is the place.

Fished with Capt Van Hubbard outa Stump Pass great guy, had his own tv show for years, but those dates thinking you need to go to keys, kinda early in season I think.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back