Fixing Western Hunting

We talk about residents and non residents. We need to remember that it’s OUR land where much of this hunting is occurring on. The rest of us are subsidizing a hunting club for the residents of a Western state.

Thank you.

And thank Teddy Roosevelt while you are at it. You can join the club, I don't think there are even initiation fees.

There are taxes and lower wages. It seems hard to have your cake and eat it too.

The plight of the non resident hunter is so far down on the list of our nation's problems, good luck getting it off the back burner.

We talk about residents and non residents. We need to remember that it’s OUR land where much of this hunting is occurring on. The rest of us are subsidizing a hunting club for the residents of a Western state.
But but but but….

So what is it you want? The truth to come from Buzz or Blake in a sweeter font? A wholesale change in management? Tags upon tags for all? Improved habitat and access?
Across the places in the west that I support and pursue options for hunting or visiting, I'm in general very happy and content with the opportunities given to me. Some I'd even consider overly generous (yes, that's Wyoming and its reason number one why they get my extra $$$). It isn't about that at all for me. What is getting old and frustrating is the ignorance that NR from the east don't matter and that we don't contribute. We are all slobs that destroy your local hunting grounds and we do so while never contributing enough money or time to help wildlife. It may certainly be true for some, maybe it's even a large sum of folks. But I can promise you that almost everyone that hangs around on this forum is not that type of person. To continuously get slapped in the face is just getting old and makes me just want to pursue what you think of us. Put all my money to just get tags because the grip n grin is all that matters to us right?

Thank you.

And thank Teddy Roosevelt while you are at it. You can join the club, I don't think there are even initiation fees.

There are taxes and lower wages. It seems hard to have your cake and eat it too.

The plight of the non resident hunter is so far down on the list of our nation's problems, good luck getting it off the back burner.
Are the wages still lower in 2024?

To continuously get slapped in the face is just getting old and makes me just want to pursue what you think of us. Put all my money to just get tags because the grip n grin is all that matters to us right?

To that I would say, and to paraphrase Snowy - folks spend too much time focusing and getting worked up on what buzz has to say when they don’t need to, and too little time focusing on what buzz has to say when they should.

I do agree that wages have come up some in the certain areas in the last few years. Different for everyone though that chart shows illinois and wyoming almost identical. From everything I can find I'd be taking a 50% if not a little more when you figure in my benefits.
Construction right? Certainly a field I could see that being the case.

Healthcare is for sure the exact opposite. My wife has been drolling over what places out there would pay for her position. I'm an engineer, structural. Pay is pretty competitive nationwide, bit higher west and east coast matching cost of living differeneces.

Across the places in the west that I support and pursue options for hunting or visiting, I'm in general very happy and content with the opportunities given to me. Some I'd even consider overly generous (yes, that's Wyoming and its reason number one why they get my extra $$$). It isn't about that at all for me. What is getting old and frustrating is the ignorance that NR from the east don't matter and that we don't contribute. We are all slobs that destroy your local hunting grounds and we do so while never contributing enough money or time to help wildlife. It may certainly be true for some, maybe it's even a large sum of folks. But I can promise you that almost everyone that hangs around on this forum is not that type of person. To continuously get slapped in the face is just getting old and makes me just want to pursue what you think of us. Put all my money to just get tags because the grip n grin is all that matters to us right?
Who started this thread to bring it up?
Who started this one?

If you know what the responses will be, how can you continuously be surprised by the outcome?

Publicly falling on your sword of donations to things you believe in because you don’t like some folks on a hunting forum says all that needs to be said about your priorities.

If grumpy forum members are your problem, you have the option to ignore them. As I often have to remind my children and myself, you cannot control how others act, you can only control your response.

Construction right? Certainly a field I could see that being the case.

Healthcare is for sure the exact opposite. My wife has been drolling over what places out there would pay for her position. I'm an engineer, structural. Pay is pretty competitive nationwide, bit higher west and east coast matching cost of living differeneces.
Your not gonna replace that 40 or 80 acres out there that you've got. Even if you did 80 don't hunt like it does here.

Your not gonna replace that 40 or 80 acres out there that you've got. Even if you did 80 don't hunt like it does here.
Head to zillow and see what a 3 bed, 2 bath 2000 sq ft home on a nice 80 acres with two creeks and a pond and 35 tillable acres sells for in east central WI. Pretty sure I could find something enjoyable out west with the added perk of a lot more accessible public lands to boot.

Head to zillow and see what a 3 bed, 2 bath 2000 sq ft home on a nice 80 acres with two creeks and a pond and 35 tillable acres sells for in east central WI. Pretty sure I could find something enjoyable out west with the added perk of a lot more accessible public lands to boot.
Like I said, why aren't you already there?

Publicly falling on your sword of donations to things you believe in because you don’t like some folks on a hunting forum says all that needs to be said about your priorities.
Well thats just it. It's changing what I believe in. Here I thought the few thousand I put into various things mattered. Guess it doesnt?

Put all my money to just get tags because the grip n grin is all that matters to us right?
Apparently so...

Your Midwest buddy rjthehunter thinks if he can't have a bull tag every year in Wyoming we're treating him poorly.

So, yes, I think for a vast majority of NR hunters it's about collecting antlers and a grip and grin while on vacation. Sure as F isn't about just going every year, that's a fact.

How many of these threads have been started this year? It's always nr wanting more opportunities in western states.
You just have to look. There are plenty of R whining about NR. Check the Montana forum and you can see Rs complaining about plates for one region or another. ‘Tis the season I guess. We have nothing else to do. 😂 I think states are pretty generous to NRs, it’s just as simple a problem as there are more NRs applying.

Well thats just it. It's changing what I believe in. Here I thought the few thousand I put into various things mattered. Guess it doesnt?
For your own happiness, I would recommend putting less stock in the perspectives of people you don’t know. So you only gave money to WY WF to make other people happy? I don’t get it.

If you don’t personally believe in what you’re donating to, I can’t imagine why you would.

Apparently so...

Your Midwest buddy rjthehunter thinks if he can't have a bull tag every year in Wyoming we're treating him poorly.

So, yes, I think for a vast majority of NR hunters it's about collecting antlers and a grip and grin while on vacation. Sure as F isn't about just going every year, that's a fact.
Yup, a journal 27 pages long worth of time and effort to simply tell the world we collected three sets antlers. Had nothing at all to do about the journey getting there.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back