PEAX Equipment

Fixing Western Hunting

They could just give it away by letting the public hunt, or they can capture some of that value. I fully understand that they want some revenue for having elk on their land.

If not for the fairly large amount of forest service land in the west, elk hunting would be a pursuit for the wealthy.
Bingo - that sort of sounds like the European model of wildlife management doesn't it?

The facts speak for themselves, WI looks a lot more like Texas and Europe to even the most casual observer.
You need to seriously research high fence hunts in WI. You are just as bad as @rjthehunter attempting to judge WY in the way you are cherry picking something to support your narrative without even doing the fact checking

utopia

looks like the peasants want to chop the king for a days head off.

Yes and armed checkpoints at all national forests to make sure all the bikers, hikers, skiers, campers, atvers, jeepers etc have their certificates on hand for the dates times and locations they have scheduled well in advance. Don't give me the consumptive vs non consumptive bs.

pay to camp on public lands?

end all tourism no I'm kidding your 5 years are up now you can visit again.

You need to seriously research high fence hunts in WI. You are just as bad as @rjthehunter attempting to judge WY in the way you are cherry picking something to support your narrative without even doing the fact checking
You're claiming game farms don't exist in WI? How is that cherry picking anything?

We took steps in WY to shut that crap down a long time ago, you know, so that it wouldn't become like Texas and Europe, and WI.

We weren't asleep at the switch like other states, including yours.

You can work on fixing the mountain of problems in WI, I'll do the same in WY.

I have come to the conclusion that nobody really needs to kill three or more Elk in one year (even two is excessive).

After 4 hunts over a 40 year period? You spend 5 days hunting out west every 10 years on average, yet think you deserve a say in how residents get to allocate tags and manage their states wildlife?

I've killed two elk in a year numerous times, typically a cow and a bull. Who are you to decide if that's too excessive for me and my family?

Fixing western hunting? Here's an easy fix for you. Move out west and become a resident. It's really that simple. More opportunity than you would have time. Non resident hunting is a privilege. There isn't a western state out there that owes you (guy who lives in OH and spends 5 days out there every 10 years) jack sh%t.

There is no fix, and no fix is needed. Western state residents should be able to hunt in their own states. Unrestricted NR access to tags or increased NR allocations in the west would eventually infringe on residents ability to hunt their home state. The demand for western tags exceeds the supply. Eastern hunters don't understand this because the supply of whitetail deer in their home states exceeds demand for hunting opportunity.

You're claiming game farms don't exist in WI? How is that cherry picking anything?

We took steps in WY to shut that crap down a long time ago, you know, so that it wouldn't become like Texas and Europe, and WI.

We weren't asleep at the switch like other states, including yours.
I'll retract and admit I'm an idiot when you do your research and report back a) how many high fence operations exist in the state that allow hunting and b) how many hunts those operations sell per year. You won't do that because you probably feel you are better than needing to actually do research like you tell the rest of us to always do and even if lets say you do, you won't report back because you will be ashamed what the results will show. If you want to judge WI from afar based solely on how 0.0129% of the harvested deer are taken, you are no different than @rjthehunter complaining about Wyoming.

OPs proposal essentially makes western residents nonresidents of their own states as far as hunting is concerned. We are vastly outnumbered compared to the populations of the midwest, south, and east coast. It's a proposal that for all intents and purposes flips all the current R/NR allocations on their collective heads to favor the substantially higher numbers of people who don't live here. As statistically that's how the chips would fall when there is no allocation and it only depends on the numbers of applicants, the applicants of which are not from the west would be innumerable, really.

It doesn't fix anything.

I'll retract and admit I'm an idiot when you do your research and report back a) how many high fence operations exist in the state that allow hunting and b) how many hunts those operations sell per year. You won't do that because you probably feel you are better than needing to actually do research like you tell the rest of us to always do and even if lets say you do, you won't report back because you will be ashamed what the results will show. If you want to judge WI from afar based solely on how 0.0129% of the harvested deer are taken, you are no different than @rjthehunter complaining about Wyoming.
Nothing to retract there Chief.

WI has high fence operations, just like TX, absolutely no different.

That's a direct move toward privatization of wildlife (European model), vector for diseases, and in defiance of the NAM.

Simple fact, and you should be working to fix that, instead you're keen on fixing the West for yourself and self-interest. Put some effort into your own State, that would be great!

There is no fix, and no fix is needed. Western state residents should be able to hunt in their own states. Unrestricted NR access to tags or increased NR allocations in the west would eventually infringe on residents ability to hunt their home state.
It's unbelievable how some cannot understand and accept this.

Demand is up, populations are down for a lot of species. Tags will come less often especially for nonresidents. You guys are in search for a solution that doesn’t exist. The “advocates” only seem to be advocating for more tags for nonresidents not for the health of the resource.

OPs proposal essentially makes western residents nonresidents of their own states as far as hunting is concerned. We are vastly outnumbered compared to the populations of the midwest, south, and east coast. It's a proposal that for all intents and purposes flips all the current R/NR allocations on their collective heads to favor the substantially higher numbers of people who don't live here. As statistically that's how the chips would fall when there is no allocation depending on the numbers of applicants from outside the westerns states, which would be innumerable really.

It doesn't fix anything.

I'm grappling with the concept that something needs fixing here to begin with. Many of us hunt out of state, but I'd be perfectly content to spend the rest of my life hunting OTC dinker blacktail in my backyard just as well.

You know seeth, you used to be alright, but you've developed into a condescending prick.

If you're going to start throwing stones, throw some examples of me doing so.

I read an article and posted about it. Then you took it personally. Everyone can have an opinion on something. My opinion was that NRs sure seem to contribute a lot for what they get in return.

Simple fact, and you should be working to fix that, instead you're keen on fixing the West for yourself and self-interest. Put some effort into your own State, that would be great!
Again, do your research. How do you know I'm not working on the removal of the state statute that grants captive wildlife licenses? Do you know the number of high fence operations today vs 2015? How about back to 2000?

Legitimately do your work to back up your foolish vision of what WI is like for the deer hunter rather than what you see and know of based on social media and whoever has informed you via word of mouth.

That's what these dumb threads that come up reek of to me.
I would agree. Where does the drive come from for the want to have a bigger stake in western hunting for those who can locally hunt all the WT they would like? We're over here killing not a fraction as many animals in our lifetime in our home states but the NR always want more.

What will "fix" it is a nice economic downturn nationwide that isn't accompanied by government checks. I'm certainly not hoping for that scenario. Demand is high because the US is doing well.

Morbid but excellent observation in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back