Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Fixing social security

What is your most preferred method of changing the social security system?

• Remove the upper pay-in limit

Votes: 64 48.1%
  • Continue to push back the age of first withdrawal as needed

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Reduce benefits to maintain system solvency

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Abandon it all together over time and let everyone fund their own retirement

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
I agree. My point isn't to find out the exact split by dividing out the money by how much money is coming from other people's taxes vs other people's donations. Certainly many of those people receive government funding/money/food cards, etc. Absolutely.

It was a response to his comment that no one would help if SS didn't exist, as if there aren't groups of people on damn near every street corner that are helping...using money from people who voluntarily gave it.

His response was that most people who even give to a church or charity are doing it selfishly to save 30% on a tax write off.
Some do. I remember a lot of talk about this in 2018, article below. However, I think it is mostly a function of general economic strength. The problem with relying on private non-profits, faith-based or not, is that their receipts drop at the exact time the amount in need increases. That is part of what SS tried to fix. It wanted to stabilize that protection. Hence why it is considered insurance, not retirement.

Some do. I remember a lot of talk about this in 2018, article below. However, I think it is mostly a function of general economic strength. The problem with relying on private non-profits, faith-based or not, is that their receipts drop at the exact time the amount in need increases. That is part of what SS tried to fix. It wanted to stabilize that protection. Hence why it is considered insurance, not retirement.

I don't disagree with this. I just adhere to the principles I adhere to.

A culture change towards personal responsibility and accountability would also have to happen, alongside voluntary giving.

I am guilty of seeing beyond what may be viewed as immediately pragmatic to instead support long-term solutions that involve massive culture change.

Idealistic? Yes. But I don't like dropping my principles for something I personally view as ultimately an inferior solution...even if it seems more convenient and practical in the short term.

The only answer to help the homeless and shore up SS.

alix_1.jpg

IDballs.jpg

noodledoodle1600_1200.jpg

Yes, respecting people enough to have reasonable expectations for them.

Respecting taxpayers enough to advocate for them to have a choice in putting money into a government charity.

Yeah, your posts exude respect, lot of it.

None of us approve how every federal dollar is spent, kinda comes with the territory.

Thanks for making fun of mine, thought this was the land of the free.
I'm sure if someone says something bad about the religious beliefs of Hamas you'll jump all over them for being bigots.

I think whether or not Social Security is “working“ depends on how you view it. If you view it as something that you pay a not insignificant portion of your income into, for your entire working life, to benefit the other members of society, and possibly/hopefully, but with no guarantee, to get a dismal ROI at some point down the road if you live long enough.
Then it is working.

If you view it as a vehicle to fund your individual retirement, that you and your employer will pour more than 1 in every 10 dollars you make into, then it works not that great.

I think whether or not Social Security is “working“ depends on how you view it. If you view it as something that you pay a not insignificant portion of your income into, for your entire working life, to benefit the other members of society, and possibly/hopefully, but with no guarantee, to get a dismal ROI at some point down the road if you live long enough.
Then it is working.

If you view it as a vehicle to fund your individual retirement, that you and your employer will pour more than 1 in every 10 dollars you make into, then it works not that great.
Take it away and see if you and your employer pay more or less than 1-10 dollars to the 30 million or so people that rely on it for their only retirement income.

Like I said we aren't going to put 30 million old folks on the streets and news flash, the church of the flying spaghetti monster isn't going to pick up the slack.

Take it away and see if you and your employer pay more or less than 1-10 dollars to the 30 million or so people that rely on it for their only retirement income.

People are incredibly naive if they think that absent a SS program, their employer is going to hand their SS match to them in wages. A company is going to take that saving as their own. There is a decent chance they'd have their eye on the percentage of your wages, presently going toward the program.

Our gooberment gives trillions to other nations, but can't pay our contributing workers back what they've invested... yeah that makes sense. Pay them what is owed!
It’s easy to be the hero when you’re using someone else’s money.

I’m happy to pay my fair share, nothing more. #lessgovernment

Like I said we aren't going to put 30 million old folks on the streets and news flash, the church of the flying spaghetti monster isn't going to pick up the slack.
I don’t think we should take it away from anybody, especially people that spent their entire working lives paying into it, with the expectation that it will be there.

I would waive my right to receiving a payout in exchange for being able to opt out of paying in.

I don’t think we should take it away from anybody, especially people that spent their entire working lives paying into it, with the expectation that it will be there.

I would waive my right to receiving a payout in exchange for being able to opt out of paying in.
I wouldn’t even care if they kept taking money from my company and just let me keep mine

The math of the program doesn’t work that way. The higher income people who don’t need SS will drop out. The middle class and lower income level people struggling financially will drop out to make ends meet, pay off CCs or to buy a boat. You’re left with a program that will collapse. The other eventual issue is what to do with the large amount of people with no retirement income in the future. No one supports their elderly parents anymore. Some other type of social program would emerge in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back