Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fixed Broadhead Or Mechanical

shrapnel

The discussion isn’t new, I have been using a fixed broadhead because I just don’t trust a mechanical. If there is some planing with a fixed broadhead, how bad is it?

I have been using a Shuttle “T” Lock and haven’t seen any indication of planing and they still have a wide cutting diameter.

Is a mechanical as dependable, or any better?

A9C96F32-47CF-4C1C-9273-B5456EF7ABF3.jpegAC5DF099-CB90-4BEB-A796-5F146D7BCB53.jpeg

Issues with planing are related to either poor shooting style or untuned bow or both.

My personal preference will be a razor sharp, tough cut on contact broadhead behind a fairly heavy arrow. Currently using Magus stingers with bleeders but will likely be going to tuffhead or iron will 125s/150s as they are easy to sharpen and made if tool steel which should help keep them sharp.

Like you I do not trust mechanicals. Others use them successfully but I just don't like burning energy to get the blade to deploy.

The discussion isn’t new, I have been using a fixed broadhead because I just don’t trust a mechanical. If there is some planing with a fixed broadhead, how bad is it?

I have been using a Shuttle “T” Lock and haven’t seen any indication of planing and they still have a wide cutting diameter.

View attachment 238123View attachment 238124
Planing is often a result of poor bow tuning or inadequate fletching. Should be able to fix it on every set up assuming you use a quality bow, arrow, and broadhead.

That being said-- mechanicals will get better flight in the wind, need less fletching, make less noise, and make a bigger hole. If you have a stout enough set up (draw length, draw weight, arrow weight) where penetration isn't an issue then there isn't much of a downside. All concerns of "poor reliability" are overblown in my opinion.

Last edited:
I know lots of people shoot mechanicals with no problem, I just have a mental block with them. I can’t see why it helpful to loose as much energy as they do to open up. Fixed, cut on contact, with a couple little bleeders for me. Specifically, DaySix EvoX - very similar design to IronWill but with stainless instead of A2 tool steel.

I have always shot fixed blades but the reason guys give up energy is shootability and cutting diameter. There aren’t many 2” fixed blades on the market and I think there are times it could make a big difference. There are instances where one outshines the other but we all get wrapped up in theory and what could happen. How many guys have actually shot enough animals with both to talk about the subject intelligently?

I shoot both and have killed countless animals with both. Bottom line is a true one piece razor sharp broad head is the most reliable. I have had replaceable blade fail, blades brake and aluminum feral will warp. I am really selective on mechanical heads. I have had them break, open up before getting to the animal, and deflect once hitting the animal due to the way the blades open up. Mechanicals have there place and there are those that swear by them.

I like mechanicals but Im not shooting great distances. However, there is no way they are as dependable as a one piece.

I shoot both and have killed countless animals with both. Bottom line is a true one piece razor sharp broad head is the most reliable. I have had replaceable blade fail, blades brake and aluminum feral will warp. I am really selective on mechanical heads. I have had them break, open up before getting to the animal, and deflect once hitting the animal due to the way the blades open up. Mechanicals have there place and there are those that swear by them.
Same.

So I'm sure a huge part of the answer to this question will be shot placement, but would anyone care to chime in on the question of whether a fixed or mechanical broadhead will bring an animal down faster?
I have hunted with rifle and shotgun and am confident with my bow on targets but haven't taken any animals with my bow. We have the possibility of harvesting does with archery only on private land, but because the properties are broken down into small parcels I don't want to run the risk of a shot critter running some distance and ending up on the neighboring place and causing issues with retrieval. Someone told me that a mechanical broadhead will make a much bigger hole going in and the resulting blood loss/impact will drop a doe quicker than a fixed broadhead.
Or am I overthinking this whole thing?

View attachment 238123View attachment 238124
Mechanicals "might" fly better on a windy day, but to me, not worth the hassle of dealing with a mechanical. I've used a lot of both types, but these days just use the fixed heads. haven't yet tried the single bevel tips like the Kudu, but plan to give them a try someday.

If I was an excellent shot with a bow I would seriously consider using a mechanical for the advantages of the bigger hole and less wind drift. I'd guess the mechanicals they are making now days are a lot more reliable than they used to be. I'm a pretty average shot with a bow. If I make a less than perfect shot and hit a bull elk in the shoulder I still want it to punch through so that's why I use a fixed blade.

So I'm sure a huge part of the answer to this question will be shot placement, but would anyone care to chime in on the question of whether a fixed or mechanical broadhead will bring an animal down faster?
I have hunted with rifle and shotgun and am confident with my bow on targets but haven't taken any animals with my bow. We have the possibility of harvesting does with archery only on private land, but because the properties are broken down into small parcels I don't want to run the risk of a shot critter running some distance and ending up on the neighboring place and causing issues with retrieval. Someone told me that a mechanical broadhead will make a much bigger hole going in and the resulting blood loss/impact will drop a doe quicker than a fixed broadhead.
The answer you seek can be found in a comprehensive study here: https://deerassociation.com/does-broadhead-choice-really-matter/. CliffNotes version: all else being equal and with ideal placement, you are statistically more likely to recover a whitetail deer shot with a mechanical than a fixed blade.

That being said, in my opinion fixed blades give more margin for error if you clip the shoulder or scapula as @bigsky2 mentions above. I shot mechanicals when I lived in the Deep South and hunted uber thick planted pine plantations, where I needed a big blood trail RIGHT NOW lest a deer get off into the swamp and turn into gator feed. Now that I'm out west, I'm back to shooting fixed blades/COCs except perhaps for turkey this spring.

I'm not sure these discussions change anyone's mind, unless you've experienced an issue with what you have been using. I had problems with some mechanicals. I found lots of info online and ended up moving to Magnus Broadheads (fixed blade). THP has found the RF and he has a catalog of research and advise on his YT channel. He also references the Ashby Foundation, if you really want to dig into some research.

The Magnus Broadheads are available online and in some retail stores. They aren't terribly expensive - comparable to the mechanicals that I was using in terms of cost. Single bevel is the trending thing for some, I think.

I have killed plenty with both a good shot with either puts them down the same. That being said I use a 200gr Valkyrie Blood Eagle and purposely shoot whitetail s where it exists the shoulder/leg socket and they go down quickly and sometimes where they were standing 100% pass through every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back