Caribou Gear Tarp

New traditional shooter

Just knock arrows and let em fly. You will know when it's time to start bareshafting and getting ready to hunt with it. Reading and watching videos on form also helped me alot but it's supposed to be fun first imo

Countless animals have been killed with bows of unknown draw weight, shooting arrows of unknown and variable weight, tipped with variable weight heads made out of materials from stone to steel by people who never heard the words "kinetic energy."

So just go out there and have some fun.
Going to head to our local range this weekend and see if I can figure out my aiming for different yardages from 10 out to 30 to know how much I need to change where I aim to get out to 30. Also want to work on a consistent anchor point that I can comfortably shoot with.

If you really want to learn to shoot a recurve, I'd focus on shooting for a long time very close focusing on form. Don't worry about hiting a target or groups. You don't shoot a compound the same as recurve.

I personally would shoot for a year before hunting, in the right hands it's a deadly weapon if you have the discipline.

The best archery shooter I've ever seen shot a recurve her husband built in the 60s. It was a maple riser and limb with red glass. She used a kisser button, peep, and pin sight WOOD SCREWED into the riser.

We were shooting compounds and she was yelling coaching from the front porch. We were half ignoring her because we thought we knew better. She went inside, grabbed that recurve, drug her oxygen tank out and preceded to sink arrows into a pie plate grouping at 60 yards. Yeah... she outshot us effortlessly. Her husband (my bow building teacher) just laughed and laughed and Iaughed.

A good coach will help. Good consistent form and release, appropriately spined arrows, consistant draw length, and basic aiming are all you need to get started. Worry about specifics and fine arrow tuning and kinetics later. That stuff is important but not at first because you're probably not good enough for it to matter. Just enjoy.

With the arrows crossed in the bear I'd say you either have a spine tune issue or a consistent draw length issue. Try concentrating on consistent draw and release and watch the arrows. If the kick sideways either direction pretty far then it's a spine issue. Easily fixed with tip weight adjustment if you don't want to buy more arrows.

All that being said, you don't have to get it olympic qualifying perfect to go have fun. Read about Ishi. Terrible form by traditional standards. Arrow on the wrong side, bow canted over, weird grips on bow and string, and where is he anchoring? But he was consistant every shot and killed A LOT with his bow.
main-qimg-fe35b6776e137049339d6aa32d7692d5-lq.jpeg

Going to head to our local range this weekend and see if I can figure out my aiming for different yardages from 10 out to 30 to know how much I need to change where I aim to get out to 30. Also want to work on a consistent anchor point that I can comfortably shoot with.
Curious to know how your new bow adventure went this season? Updates?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back