Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fitness/training question

I try to double down on Mtn Ops right before a hunt with anything that sounds like it'll help me keep hammering longer, shoot straighter, poop regularly, and recover quickly. I'll power down a few supps to help me glass more effectively too. Mtn Ops is coming out with Eye of the Tiger in 2020 to assist us that are visually challenged.

I stick to my program year round, although I usually take a week off after elk season to rest. About every 8 weeks I will also take a "rest weeK" to recover and allow my muscles some concentrated rest. I've used various programs over the years, including Mountain Tough (which will smoke you, I love it), but I've focused over the past year at training specifically for carrying a pack cross-country in the hills. I based this on what the physical fitness instructor at the USMC Mountain Warfare school in the Sierra's recommends as a training program- Lift 2x per week, run 2x per week, hump a ruck for distance, time, or both once a week.

My weight training is centered on building what I call the "carrier chain" of muscles- shoulders, upper & lower back, core and legs. Cable rows, lat pulls, push-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, military press are my main exercises. I run 3-5 miles on the days I don't lift and then ruck on Saturday mornings. I lift on Mondays and Fridays, run Tuesdays and Thursdays and Wednesday is a mid-week rest day. I'm also in my 40s with arthritis and disc issues, so I'm not able to go balls to the wall like I could a decade or two ago.

I find that the weight training and running really provide a great foundation, but the only thing that really prepares you for humping a ruck through the mountains, is humping a ruck through the mountains. Some pointers for that exercise- load your weight progressively (don't start with a 5 day hunt load), wear the boots you'll be hunting in, don't exceed 1/3 of your body weight as a pack weight you normally carry (you can exceed that for short periods, like packing out meat or bringing in supplies to cache. Regular training above that 1/3 threshold will send you down the road of over training and injuries).

If you're following a regular training program, of any sort, a good check on fitness is a "Long Drag". I'd say in July/ August, which gives you enough time to recover and/ or adjust your training, schedule a ruck that will keep you on your feet and moving for 12-18 hours. I'd also schedule a rest week after this event. Have either a loop route that you can make laps on, or get dropped off somewhere to walk back. Plan out a 5-10 minute rest break every hour, keep eating and hydrating (seriously, food is going to be as important as water for this), maintain your feet and see how a sustained hike feels. This should require far more sustained exertion than just about any deer or elk hunt and it will provide you some good feedback on what your fitness level is and areas you can improve or alter your training. I'd say more importantly, it gives you a good mental experience to fall back on when things are sucking. Packing out quarters in the rain? "Still not as bad as the Long Drag".

Last edited:
If you can find a Spartan race (their "Sprint" is the shortest one) near you in the summer or early fall, it's a good commitment to keep you training. I guess any time, really. I'm not familiar with the rest like tough mudder and a few others but they're likely similar. I was hesitant before my first one, but a bunch from my gym go every year. Plus, I googled videos of it and saw people way fatter than me so that cinched it. Now it's a Aug or Sep ritual and a few buddies from around the country meet up at the Colorado one. There's not much actual sprinting at Breck or Aspen elevations, it's mainly walking in between obstacles, but that's still a butt kicker at altitude. Anyway, consistently hiking several miles with a pack is good training for the spartan race and most hunting. Outdoorsmans makes a spindle pack attachment that allows you to clamp a 45, or any size, plate on their meat carrier pack. I really like mine.

Also, a tip for those of us whose age begins with an "F" sound...focusing on recovery after every workout and aiming for the long game is the way to go. You won't "get" in shape nearly as fast as when you were younger. So just try to stay in shape.

Also, I believe there is something to all the potions that a good gym or nutrition store has. You have to ask those in the know, play with it a bit to see what works for the way you're wired. But I found a joint juice that's an absolute game changer. I don't know what's in it but I definitely notice if I go a week or so without. Working out sucks less when it hurts less. Everyone likes to claim they're a tough guy, but pain sucks. And slugging some aminos daily during repeated strenuous hunts can help fight muscle decline when you spend a couple months with every free hour in the woods and don't see the gym.

I fight old neck and back injuries that bother me much less when I stay in shape. Docs like to threaten a vertebral fusion when the symptoms flare. But sooner or later I won't be carrying a pack up any mountain and that's a pretty good motivator.

I definitely take off the day before a hunt. If it's going to be an intense multi-day up and down mountains pack in, I usually give myself 2 days off. There's definitely something to be said about starting off with fresh legs.

Also, for at least a month before the season starts, my running shoes go in the closet and I work out in my hikers only.

Also, a tip for those of us whose age begins with an "F" sound...focusing on recovery after every workout and aiming for the long game is the way to go. You won't "get" in shape nearly as fast as when you were younger. So just try to stay in shape.

I fight old neck and back injuries that bother me much less when I stay in shape. Docs like to threaten a vertebral fusion when the symptoms flare. But sooner or later I won't be carrying a pack up any mountain and that's a pretty good motivator.

I'll second both of these points. You're not going to go from the couch to "fit" in 3-4 weeks like a 23 year old. Once you're north of like 35, progressive, consistent, gradual training is the path to take. I've found that my various joint issues are also better served by staying in shape year round.

sleep. lot's of sleep.

work out, consistently. consistency is key, not longevity, not always intensity, consistency. but to the degree you have control, never forego sleep.

Pretty overlooked aspect of training.

I just have 5 friends show up in the same week with cow tags and all shoot elk...get all the exercise you need quartering, packing, hiking, stalking.

FC3DF179-4D66-419B-BE29-465591B9F780.jpeg

D5D61BDC-DE71-4D9F-89F7-666CB7BAB8A3.jpeg

89AFCC9E-9F92-4F31-9CB9-796CCC921F07.jpeg

066CF318-A419-42CD-88E8-4F39084486A2.jpeg

I try to double down on Mtn Ops right before a hunt with anything that sounds like it'll help me keep hammering longer, shoot straighter, poop regularly, and recover quickly. I'll power down a few supps to help me glass more effectively too. Mtn Ops is coming out with Eye of the Tiger in 2020 to assist us that are visually challenged.

If all you’re gonna have to drink for 3 days is creek water and hot ipa’s the pink lemonade isn’t a bad little pick-me-up.

I try to mix it up with hiking, rucking, barbell weight lifting, body weight workouts, indoor rowing, and some running. I don't really push it that hard, but just try to be consistent which I think helps build endurance. Figuring out the right warmups/stretching are a big help with joint pain. I was having knee issues a few years ago and figured out it was due to tight quads. Luckily we live 1 mile from a trailhead that has a 5 mile 1,600 ft elevation gain hike, can get the legs burning after work pretty easily. And having a dog that needs 1+ hour of exercise each day helps get us moving.

I have been trying to get more into running in the last couple years. It had been quite a while and then last winter I ruptured my achilles playing pickup basketball. 5 days of off trail hiking during Sept elk hunting was rough. Calf muscle is still extremely weak, have ran 1+ mile a couple times in the last few weeks. Signed up for a 26k trail run in June, so that will make things interesting.

A couple cold IPAs after a good workout is a great recovery drink. Once I hit 4 it seems to have the opposite affect.

If you are strictly looking at the physiological aspect you would want to peak your training level about 2 to 3 weeks before your planned activity and then slowly taper off (75% level on week 3, 50% level on week 2, 25% level on the week immediately prior to the event.

We are talking about a little bit different setup here but if you are looking at an extremely physically demanding hunt coming up I think that would be the way to look at it.

The 2 things you don't want to do are push yourself really hard the week immediately prior to the week you are going to be going on the hunt or not do anything at all that week. A taper from your peak a few weeks out will get you in the best condition to perform your best the week of the hunt.

I try to rest 3-4 days before a hunt or race, so I'm fully recovered and rested. I've noticed a difference in my races if I only take a day or two off. I really try to shoot for 4 good days of rest prior.

I try not to stop. I try to get a solid workout 6 days a week. I don’t like missing days, and as long as I stay consistent, I feel no need to cut back or taper off before a hunt. As others have mentioned, adequate sleep is extremely important, and often overlooked....I’d better get to bed

Run all summer, but not to the extend where a taper would be necessary really. Packing, trip prep and tying up loose ends cuts into it enough the week or two before as it is, works out ok. Don’t really do much strength work aside from one or two weighted pack hikes a week starting late July, so not a ton of recovery needed there either.

As said earlier, it’s easier to just stay in some semblance of decent shape all year. Sleep discipline and drinking lots of water (and no sweets/soda in diet) is helpful as well.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back