Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fitness/training question

JGJohnson

I train fairly hard year round with both resistance training as well as cardio. I am wonder what everyone else does as far as exercise immediately prior to a hunt. Do you take some time off to recharge? Do you hit it right up to the day you leave for your hunt?

As the hunt gets closer, I'll taper off on weight training and focus more on hill climbing with a pack. I also back off on the mountain biking so I don't have a catastrophic wreck like I nearly did last fall. Still trying to get a wrist healed up. It's not a bad idea to take a few days off prior to, but I wouldn't overthink it.

After getting back from hunting elk in the mountains I realized I should have been on a stair stepper for about a month prior to the hunt.

I try to run for a few weeks prior to a physically difficult hunt, usually elk. All of my hunts this year were relative cakewalks, so I didn't do anything beforehand really.

I do try to avoid injury when I have a hunt coming up, no basketball/etc.

Visit mountain tough fitness they have a killer online workout routine you can buy into. It's a little bit of a shell shock but well worth it. I've done the postseason program and preseason and let me tell you. It'll blow your mind on how "not" in shape you are.

It's a mix of weights, intensity, endurance training that will get you beyond ready if you go by the programs.

Try their couple free workouts on their site. They have a 22s workout that will make most people fall over and curl up and wanna die.

I can't wait to see what a second year will do for me getting ready to the mountains. I am by no means an iron man but I can move pretty good. Now I can move great, it strengthens cardio, endurance, recovery, overall strength and most importantly, mental toughness.

It was developed by intense work out junkies along with the highest of military personnel.

Trust me you might hate them workouts but it really puts you into a totally different mindset.

EMBRACE THE SUCK AND GOOD LUCK

Visit mountain tough fitness they have a killer online workout routine you can buy into. It's a little bit of a shell shock but well worth it. I've done the postseason program and preseason and let me tell you. It'll blow your mind on how "not" in shape you are.

It's a mix of weights, intensity, endurance training that will get you beyond ready if you go by the programs.

Try their couple free workouts on their site. They have a 22s workout that will make most people fall over and curl up and wanna die.

I can't wait to see what a second year will do for me getting ready to the mountains. I am by no means an iron man but I can move pretty good. Now I can move great, it strengthens cardio, endurance, recovery, overall strength and most importantly, mental toughness.

It was developed by intense work out junkies along with the highest of military personnel.

Trust me you might hate them workouts but it really puts you into a totally different mindset.

EMBRACE THE SUCK AND GOOD LUCK
Fantastic program

I like to take 2 full days of rest before a planned strenuous race/event/trip. I find that to be plenty of time to fully recover when my body is already conditioned from regular workouts.

Other than my typical weight lifting and cardio, in the summer I pack with 50# of sand, keep the sand in it's bag, or else you'll have a sandy bag. And be like Forrest Gump, just start running walking.

@JLS fortunately I haven't dabbled into mountain biking yet since college, we used to do some downhilling at ski resorts. However as I see all these bikes on I-90 when I'm going hunting I'm definitely getting the itch to see what it's all about over here. Nowadays if I hurt myself it's while snowboarding which means I have a full 2/3s of a year to recover. Dislocated my elbow this year in February, it wasn't until July I could draw my bow again :oops:

I'm in the "don't overthink it" camp. I fit in what I can, and just work hard when I do have the time to get some exercise. The main thing I make sure to do prior to cranking up the mileage in the fall is make sure my feet are in good condition and toughened up for the trail miles a bit.

I'm in the "don't overthink it" camp. I fit in what I can, and just work hard when I do have the time to get some exercise. The main thing I make sure to do prior to cranking up the mileage in the fall is make sure my feet are in good condition and toughened up for the trail miles a bit.

Fine... gotta go all legitimate advice... whatever

Exercise in a manner that is sustainable, find a way of working our or work out routine that you can commit to, for some folks it's weights, cardio, classes, cross training with biking/skiing, whatever... the point is to find something that will keep you active for decades. I see a lot of people get burned out on exercise and then just stop.

Remi warren hit on this advice as well "make sure my feet are in good condition and toughened up for the trail miles a bit", a couple of months before the season I try and get a bunch of miles in my boots, blisters are just part of toughening up your feet, if mine have gotten too soft in my loafers at work sometimes spring turkey and bear season is a little ugly... but it is what it is, try and let your feet bleed and heal before you go out on a hunt.

Personally I find 3-4 days of recovery from a work out puts me in the sweet spot. So I do my thing until like Tuesday or Weds before a Sat hunt.

Back