• 95mm

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • 115mm

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Single eye not BTX

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Dsnow9

I am looking at purchasing a Swaro BTX this upcoming year as a bonus for all the hard work I did last year. 😉

I currently run NL pure 12x and an ATC while hunting and I am looking to round out my glassing game with the big dog. I don’t necessarily see myself packing it daily for hunting but more so scouting days and picking apart far off areas from a road or the truck.

I am interested to hear the opinion of other on what would be the ideal objective size? And also some feedback if anyone hunts with a spotter in this size? Do you use the btx or single eye piece?

I hate the eye fatigue of the single eye spotter game so that is why I am leaning towards the btx and the ATC covers most of my needs in the field.

Reactions: Oak
I have the ATX and recommend you consider how much you would use the binocular feature on that spotting scope system. If you are sold on it, I would still recommend the 95mm. I have the 95 and it is about as big as you really need.

I don't sit in a chair and glass over ravines and hillsides, so the binocular feature may better suit you. I have not been diasappointed with the ATX and the 95mm lens and would think it will do all you need.

The antelope picture is using the Phoneskope attachment at 1000 yards with the ATX 95mm

thumbnail_IMG_2602.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2554.jpg

I have the ATX and recommend you consider how much you would use the binocular feature on that spotting scope system. If you are sold on it, I would still recommend the 95mm. I have the 95 and it is about as big as you really need.

I don't sit in a chair and glass over ravines and hillsides, so the binocular feature may better suit you. I have not been diasappointed with the ATX and the 95mm lens and would think it will do all you need.

The antelope picture is using the Phoneskope attachment at 1000 yards with the ATX 95mm

View attachment 307878View attachment 307881
Single eye pieces with adjustable zoom (ATX) are for looking closer at things you’ve already found.
BTX is for glassing

Single eye pieces with adjustable zoom (ATX) are for looking closer at things you’ve already found.
BTX is for glassing
The original post was asking about single eyepiece as well...

The original post was asking about single eyepiece as well...
I’m not opposed by any means, i need to go check them all out but have resisted for a while because I didn’t have the funds to pull the plug and didn’t want to be tempted

Cheap thing to try if your getting eye fatigue: buy a cheap eye patch and cover your non dominate eye so you can leave both open and at $4 vs BTX might be worth try. When i looked at the btx's cost/weight/size were just not useful to me for 99+% of my uses.

I rented a 115 and BTX eyepiece for my 3rd season hunt this year.

It's an amazing piece of glass. But you are not going to be packing it a lot. It needs a serious tripod, and it....is.....a.....pig........

To add, my buddy just bought a 95mm ATX, and he feels like it's a lot more manageable as far as packing it in.

The 115 is, in my opinion, for glassing spots not too far from the vehicle.

BTX is for glassing
Didn’t realize the btx was fixed zoom, that may be the deal breaker for me. Still interested in everyone’s opinions though

Didn’t realize the btx was fixed zoom, that may be the deal breaker for me. Still interested in everyone’s opinions though
I was a lot more excited about the BTX when it came out until I found out it was fixed power. However, after looking through one in the field....they are really sweeeeet. I'm not sure I could ever spring for one, though, knowing that in many cases I'd still want a regular scope to be able to zoom in.

The 105 seems like too much unless you're making a good living by glassing from the road and need to estimate inches to the gnat's a$$. Think world class pronghorn guide, or something like that. YMMV

I was a lot more excited about the BTX when it came out until I found out it was fixed power. However, after looking through one in the field....they are really sweeeeet. I'm not sure I could ever spring for one, though, knowing that in many cases I'd still want a regular scope to be able to zoom in.

The 105 seems like too much unless you're making a good living by glassing from the road and need to estimate inches to the gnat's a$$. Think world class pronghorn guide, or something like that. YMMV
Those are some good points!

Cheap thing to try if your getting eye fatigue: buy a cheap eye patch and cover your non dominate eye so you can leave both open and at $4 vs BTX might be worth try. When i looked at the btx's cost/weight/size were just not useful to me for 99+% of my uses.

I almost never use my spotter without an eyepatch. Total game changer in comfort, effectiveness and enjoyment of glassing with a spotter for longer periods. My eyepatch is always attached to the spotter so I never forget it.

Spend a lot of hours behind a 20-60 x 65 mm swaro STS spotter throughout the year and often pack it in my pack while hunting in many situations. Although I am trying to really size up animals and get photos a lot more than I understand @Dsnow9 to be doing. At least he seems more "brown its down" focused best I can tell. If I were a brown its down guy, unlikely I would spend the coin on BTX when I already have a good single eyepiece spotter.

Would love to have BTX but still have sticker shock every time I consider putting one in the cart. But if I had my own business as a tree cutter I would buy one in a flash to keep an eye on the competition. haha.

As for magnification. I would miss being able to zoom to 60x as I often seem to do, so if I added the BTX eyepiece darned if I would satisfied to only get 30x magnification when slapped onto my 64 mm objective lense. Also there are times i NEED to be able to zoom from 20-30x so woudl have some issues at the lower levels in some situation.

Summary, @Dsnow9 if you have never glassed with an eyepatch with the spotter, put in some serious time with one and see if that helps be more satisfied with current set up before buying BTX.

Last edited:

Typo, 115mm obviously.

I almost never use my spotter without an eyepatch. Total game changer in comfort, effectiveness and enjoyment of glassing with a spotter. My eyepatch is always attached to the spotter so I never forget it.

Spend a lot of hours behind a 20-60 x 65 mm swaro STS spotter throughout the year and often pack it in my pack while hunting in many situations. Although I am trying to really size up animals and get photos a lot more than I understand @Dsnow9 to be doing. At least he seems more "brown its down" focused best I can tell. If I were a brown its down guy, unlikely I would spend the coin on BTX when I already have a good single eyepiece spotter.

Would love to have BTX but still have sticker shock every time I consider putting one in the cart. But if I had my own business as a tree cutter I would buy one in a flash to keep an eye on the competition. haha.
It’s definitely a business expense and I am very much brown=down!

You all might be saving me some money! The btx would be amazing but the overall size, weight, and lack of the variable eye piece may be a swaying factor.

My primary use would be picking apart hillsides at long distances, scouring pj country, or checking out whole drainages. Not so much looking for a certain class animal.

I almost never use my spotter without an eyepatch. Total game changer in comfort, effectiveness and enjoyment of glassing with a spotter for longer periods. My eyepatch is always attached to the spotter so I never forget it.

Thats why i suggested it, some people never realize how big of difference it is on eye strain and cheap to try. I have a kowa 88 and its front lens cover has a little storage strap and thats where i keep one. It is funny some of looks i get by people passing by (why is that pirate looking at that ridge?)...lol

Thats why i suggested it, some people never realize how big of difference it is on eye strain and cheap to try. I have a kowa 88 and its front lens cover has a little storage strap and thats where i keep one. It is funny some of looks i get by people passing by (why is that pirate looking at that ridge?)...lol
Maybe I’ll make one out of leather! Hahah

@Dsnow9 Had a btx with a 95mm. Sold the btx and went to atx w/95.

It was beautiful to look through both eyes at the same time, but so heavy and awkward to pack made me never wanna take it along.

Super happy with the ATX and looking forward to trying the eyepatch trick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back