Fishing vs Hunting

Delw

As most of you you I spend alot of time fishing ( I spend more time on the water than greeny does in the hills
wink.gif
)

Dont get me wrong I love to hunt, but I havent been drawn for shit in the last 22 years here in AZ( 1 elk tag 2 lope tags 1 pig tag 4 deer tags) and the 2 hunttalk.com hunts didnt work out for me this year(bad year)
SO basically for the last 22 years I been hammering the coyote population and going bear hunting ,archery deer hunts, duck hunts etc. Ive shot so many damn coyotes in the last 20+ years I dont even have the gumption(is that a word) to drive out and shoot them anymore. However I do carry my ar-15 on the boat while fishing for a target of oppertunity which I never pass up( i just dont go out of my way to hunt them anymore)
This year the hunting didnt work out due to things happening so I havent gone on any archery deer hunts, then when I did want to go after a lion I busted my hand pretty bad and couldnt pull back a bow( only allowed bows in this area). I still cant pull my bow back yet but the season is comeing open for archery deer again soon(hopefully I will be able to by then)...
I cant stand the city so I try to get out of here all the time and with three kids duck hunting and fishing are my only alternitives, My oldest daughter doesnt seem to be interested in hunting cause her friends might find out(so my deer partner is out) Its alot easier on april if I bring the kids with me(which I do )and fishing seems to be the easiest.
Also I have been having a real bad streak with vehicles as of lately
so the last few weeks I been trying to figure out what the hell I am going to do.
Just the thought of not being able to get a tag really sucks. I will probally take up duck hunting again seriously in the next few weeks and maybe take the boy out for some yotes in jan like we do every year.
The other thing I am working on doing is trying to go Pro( i guess you can call it that) as far as the fishing goes. Its one thing I love to do and there are no restrictions on it like hunting(we have year round bass fishing and so do most states)
I signed up for 2 pro tourny's in this state and nevada and I have 6 more I will be signing up for in the next 2 months nevada, ca and az.
If I do fish the nevada and ca ones I will be prefishing for a few weeks at a time up in the delta and north of LA, the nevada ones will be 3-4 days at a time and April will go cause laughlin and vegas are close
wink.gif
Its easy to fish cause I can just grab the kids and head to the lake and be there in 18 mins, if they didnt close it to hunting I would be hunting on it also.
Also I might try a central B.A.S.S. ones next year.
So thats why I havent been hunting to much lately I will chaulk it up to a bad year , things will be much better next year. Even if I do go fishing full time I will still put in for all the AZ tags like I have been for the last 22 years.

Can you Imagine I have even thought of selling all my guns but 2(now that really sucks) and not due to money but to buy a boat and some other things I would like for fishing.plus I havent used but one of them in over 3 years. However I worked a good deal with a buddy of mine for a boat a few weeks ago so I am set.

Its always been a dream of mine to fish pro and hopefully I can do it this season.

As far as my work goes , I design and make worm molds and other fishing related stuff for people who make there own tackle and big manufactures of soft plastics, we thought we might sell maybe one or 2 molds but it has gone through the roof and I cant keep up.
Kinda cool to develope your own product.
we are adding new stuff as fast as we can.

Delw

Hey Del I wish you all the luck in the world for you to go pro for fishing.One of these years you are going to draw a good hunting tag again.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
And to think I never thought I would enjoy fishing but heck I been getting pretty good at it lately if only the rivers would drop away from flood stage I could go after the coho and steelheads that are in the rivers right now.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-24-2003 17:46: Message edited by: Kraven ]</font>

Good luck on the fishing! I have two friends from back home chasing that same dream. One just won the Big 10 college bass tourny and the other won $23K last year in one tourny in Alabama. He was less than 1/4lb out of first and an extra $20K! His pre-fishing partner was Rick Clunn I think.

Just think, you could always hunt out of state.
wink.gif
Put in for the general hunts just across the border to the north.

Del, I wish you the very best in your venture with the fishing. I also would like you to continue hunting. Hell you know you can always come up here. Good luck buddy.
cool.gif
wink.gif

Del,

Life is funny, and it looks different from where you sit....

I can't wait until I draw my AZ Elk tag, and that tag keeps me excited for my hunts in other states.

Good luck on the fishing thing, but I would wonder what happens when an Avocation becomes a Vocation?
confused.gif

Thanks guys.

I was kinda staying home today and reading the board, everyone is out killing shit and having a blast doing it. Kinda makes ya sick when you cant hunt like you used to because of being unlucky on the draws.

In japan I used to hunt all the time with dad, moved to washington and hunted for everything all the time as well.
move here and well I am still trying to hunt(big game) I took up archery hunting 20 years ago and love it , I mainly took it up just so I could hunt deer.

One good thing I Like to fish and have been fishing harder. Found out this afternoon that the tourny director for a cicuit I am fishing loved to duck hunt. so we are going to try to hook up, He also loves to hunt, I showed him hunttalk and I know he is still drooling over greenhorns pictures,

One thing he did say was you guys (hunttalk) are incredible. he saw the pics and couldnt believe that those animals of that size were taken by people all on one board.
Elkgunner
Funny you should say that
last year when I fished everyday I got to the point where I got tired of driving to the lake. I think it will be fun fishing in different states at least for a while anyway.

I love competition and to fish in competition with some of the best out there would be a blast.

Kraven told you being a fisherwoosie would be a blast.
If you would have started on any other type of fish you probally wouldnt have liked fishing. steelies and salmon are top of the line.

Delw

Well Del, looks like even with all the adversity, you keep working towards the top, maybe next year you could come north and get a real elk with us, as with two of the Hunttalkers that came this year, I would help you get yours...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Way to go on the Fisherwoosie thing!!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads