Fishing help needed...:/

raiderbowhunter

So, I've lived in Billings for nearly three months and owned a fly rod for most of that time....sadly I haven't a clue what to do with it other than wish I knew how to fly fish.

That being said, if there's anyone in the area that has any time to show a flatlander from the drought stricken land of TX a thing or two to help me get started casting and such, I would be more than willing to supply the beer/whatever.

I'm just tired of driving by the rivers and wishing I knew how to partake in the fishing....

Thanks for any and all help that might be offered.

-josh

I love fishing, but I'm no where near Billings to help you, I also ain't very good with a fly rod. As you're learning to fly fish, get out there and try a spinning rod ................. at the same time, then you'll end up like me - always wishing I could fly fish better. I'm sure there are some fly shops or clubs that could line you up with competent instruction.

I'm not too bad with a spin cast setup....grew up bass fishing in TX. It just seems like I should be fly fishing these nice rivers lol

I'll look around Billings for some clubs and see what i can find.

Fly fishing really isn't that hard,
just go out in your yard or to a open place that you can practice the cast, start with about 15' or 20' of line, and get to where you can put a fly where you aim, when you get comfortable with that, let out more line.
learning how to fish a River is the real hard part.
if I lived close to you, I would be happy to help.

Kevin

Hey raider, I know a thing or two about fish :D Hit me up and we can try to make time to go, I'm in Billings as well. I think at this point in my life I'm the world's busiest man but if I could find the time I have fishing boat we could take down on the Yellowstone. I also know some good wade fishing within an hour or two of town. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Do yourself and a mentor a favor and buy a start-up book for fly fishing.Texas isn't just about football...they do teach you important things like reading down there,right?:) Just kidding. Fly fishing is intimidating to a newbie, and it can be technical.The flip side is that you CAN keep it simple and have fun catching fish.I taught myself as a kid because I enjoyed reading everything I could find on the topic.Simplify,one step at a time, and be patient.Anybody can fish a spinning rod, fly rodding becomes an art form.I appreciate the enthusiasm to learn the skill,you are really half way there.Good luck.

The Orvis website has a bunch of videos on learning how to fly fish. I learned by watching these videos and the going into the yard to practice. There isnt much in my area of MN for flyfishing supplies or equipment. Trout streams are about 2-2.5 hours away from me. But it sure is fun heading to the lake and fly fishing for pan fish and bass. I bought a second, heavier rod this summer and hope to land a Northern Pike on a fly rod yet this year. And when you sign up on there website, they send you emails and usually have some pretty good deals on flies and other gear.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I will look at the Orvis site and check out the videos as well as head down to the fly shop and pick up a book to help me get started.

Now I just need a secluded place to practice where no one can see my goofy ass get tangled up lol!

I'll probably get flamed for this but IMO your drift is way more important than your cast...Too many people get all wrapped up in trying to pull Robert Redford shadow casts when they should be working on their drift and proper mending. I can catch fish off a drift boat or even wade fishing at the right hole with nothing more than some roll casts.

I'll probably get flamed for this but IMO your drift is way more important than your cast...Too many people get all wrapped up in trying to pull Robert Redford shadow casts when they should be working on their drift and proper mending. I can catch fish off a drift boat or even wade fishing at the right hole with nothing more than some roll casts.

I agree 100% I suck at casting, but once I can get a good drift going (and have the hatch matched), I catch as many fish as the guys with those perfect casts.

reading the rivers must be a learned art.....the litle bit I have tried to fish behind the house now that the yellowstone is down, all I have managed to do is drfit back into the shore :/

Go find a creek or lake stocked with small cutthroat and have at it.

I was never taught how to fly fish (and to be fair I still don't know what I'm doing), but stick me on some water with a bunch of 8-10 inch cutthroat and I'll catch fish all day. It's like fishing with training wheels.

I'll probably get flamed for this but IMO your drift is way more important than your cast..

+1,000,000 or more! Presentation is key! Fish have an insane ability to find food, make sure your gear looks natural floating down the river, the rest will come with time.

The majority of the fish I caught this year have been within 10yds, That's 20' of line and 10' of leader. It's not difficult to throw far enough to catch fish!

The biggest thing I needed to remember when I learned to fly cast is to pause on the back cast and wait for the line to load the rod. You will build a rhythm over time.

I was never taught how to fly fish (and to be fair I still don't know what I'm doing), but stick me on some water with a bunch of 8-10 inch cutthroat and I'll catch fish all day. It's like fishing with training wheels.

Does be the decoy make a trout hat? :confused:

I agree. My catch rate went WAY up when I learned how to mend to get a proper drift.

reading the rivers must be a learned art.....the litle bit I have tried to fish behind the house now that the yellowstone is down, all I have managed to do is drfit back into the shore :/

Have patience. Learning to fly fish a river is much harder than learning on a lake where it's cast, strip, cast, strip.

Learn to cast accurately out to 30 or 40 feet and you are ready to go. Most people are idiots when they wade, and sound like a herd of elephants crossing a river. Approach a fishing hole like you are stalking a mule deer, low and slow. Make as few false casts as you can, and don't slap the water with your line.

During the fall, you should be hitting the Yellowstone with some big streamer patterns. Fish them off of a floating line, concentrating on getting a good drag free drift and then swinging the fly downstream (do a search on this technique). You'll pick up a good number of fish on the swing once you get the hang of it.

You might try contacting the local fly shops and seeing if/when they are teaching clinics. I went to college in Billings and I seem to recall that at least one of the local shops offered intro clinics. Come to think of it, you might see if Rocky or MSUB have a spring class you could enroll in.

Another option would be to find another person who wants to learn to fly fish and the two of you take a guided float for a day. If you tell the guide ahead of time that you are more interested in learning about fishing than just getting fish in the boat, they might take more time to teach you. A day spent with a really good fisherman who is willing to teach you is probably a worthwhile investment. Good luck!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back