Fishing Gardiner area

passinthru

Bringing the family out end of June and staying in Gardiner. I would like to fish some if possible. Does anyone have any vague pointers or recommendations? Not looking for honey holes. Yellowstone river is real close to where we're staying.

Or should I just stick to the boardwalks in yellowstone and try not to get mauled:rolleyes:

Either way none of us have ever been to Montana or Yellowstone, so we're all looking forward to enjoying the scenery.

The Yellowstone above the falls will still be closed, but Black Canyon should be fishing by then. You'll have to hike a little to get to the river, but it's well worth it. Some nice fish and usually not too crowded. The Lamar is another good option. The Gibbon and Firehole will probably be warming up by then, but hopefully not enough to ruin the fishing until July. A lot of the mountain streams in Paradise Valley have good fishing for cutthroat. PM me if you want some more details. The guys at Park's Fly Shop in Gardiner are usually pretty helpful.

I just got back from working up there today and the river is like chocolate milk and roaring right now. Hopefully when you show up it will be lower and more clear. I'm not much help on the fishing thing but that's the report from today. Have a fun trip. I did have to mow around some cow elk so it shouldn't be hard to find them wandering the streets and eating in peoples yards.

Hey thanks guys. It's always a blast checking out "new" areas. Especially this type of fishing. I'm used to dragging a boat an hour to eight just to fish a little.

I grew up in Mammoth Hot Springs in the Park and went to school in Gardiner. I just got back home from a visit there to see the family. The rivers are way up right now, but they'll calm down over the next few weeks if the mountains quit getting snow. :)

Park's Fly Shop in town should be a help. Sounds like you are going to be in the area at the right time possibly to catch some of the salmon fly hatch. If you do time it right and the salmon flies are swarming, you'll have a lot fun on the Yellowstone. You may want to buy a YNP fishing license and a MT fishing license. This will let you work your way upstream from Gardiner into the Park and fish both the Yellowstone and Gardner Rivers. The stretch from town up past the confluence with the Gardner and into the Park can be exciting. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info., hopefully the flow slows before we arrive. From everything I've read and seen it looks to be a beautiful area. Looking forward to stopping by Parks, and sampling the fishing.

We're all pumped to see Montana for the first time.

How about the Gardiner river?
Slough Creek?
Slough will clear quicker than the Lamar but to be honest i reckon you will be struggling to avoid the runoff.
What about popping down the road to De Puys spring creek?
Cheers
Richard

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back