Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Fishing for Central WY tips

Bullshot

Hey friends! I am going to be in central WY Alcova to Casper region in a couple weeks after an antelope. I am really hoping to peel off and try some fishing and though I know this is a *great* area I also know nothing specific about any of the waters, strategies, etc. I am camping solo, have limited time, am from WAYYY out of state, haven’t fished much anywhere in years (though I have most gear I think I’d need from shore or wading). If anybody would like to PM me a total stranger-worthy tip I would be so appreciative. Looking for pointers on one of the easier stretches or also maybe reservoirs. I’d try anything if I can. Probably have no more than 2 days to spend fishing and would like to catch pretty much anything - could care less about “instagram worthy fish.” Thanks!

Might be worth a guided float trip . World class fly fishing along that stretch, but lots of private land

Last edited:
Give Platte River Guide Service out of Casper. They guide several different areas and will be willing to share information if you book one day. My son fishes with them a lot.

The North Platte Lodge is right in Alcova. I haven't fished with them, but I've stayed in their cabins during a late season elk hunt. Stopped in their fly shop and kicked around for a little bit. Good people and a nice shop.

If you hit the Mile be prepared to be choked out by Simms and Yeti and more Simms.

Stop in any of the fly shops around there to get info on where some places are to fish from shore. We fished on unit 70 side just down from boat launch south of 487. Watch the mud almost didn't get out when it rained a little while fishing. Caught one another got off in 2 hrs time before going home with 5 Antelope. I will pm you about that as loved your help in NJ. Closer to the dam has more fish. I was told as high as 8000 or more per mile if guys at gas station weren't giving me line of bull. I got a 5 man raft and would suggest buying a inflatable cheap from Walmart right now or rent a boat to float from one of the few places in casper. They can help with transportation. We had issues with weeds with mepps spinners. If spin fishing suggest getting a casting bubble with some fluorocarbon and some grass hopper imitation. Also if you can time it up stop at pizza barn for prime rib but I have to say it wasn't worth the 5 hrs extra we drove as the one doing all the driving from ohio. Dad and Son thought it was the best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back