Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First Time Pronghorn Hunt Questions

Rickdf

I'll be visiting MT next weekend searching for a pronghorn and mule deer. The last time I hunted in MT was probably 25 years ago with my father when I was about 14.
I was lucky enough to draw a non-resident antelope tag on my first try with zero points. To say I'm excited is an understatement! I have no experience with pronghorn. I'm used to hunting whitetail in MN (in shotgun zone no less).
I'll be hunting in region 7. I'm not asking for anyone's pin-point pronghorn paradise, but are there areas within region 7 that are usually better than others? Feel free to message me if you prefer.

What I'm really looking to learn is general hunting strategies. I'm guessing there's a lot of time spent in a vehicle. Are they still in rut right now? Do they stick close to water sources or can they go longer between drinks?

Thanks!
Rick

No help on that zone in MT. The bucks may be tossing horns off by now. Bucks have the dark, black check patch so you can see is a buck though horns are gone for the year.

I presume the pronghorn have been hunted for a few weeks by now where you are headed so they could be quite spooky as slow your truck and open a door. Could also spook if you are hiking and they see you. Pronghorn scan their surroundings a lot and if there is a herd then most times they spot you before you spot them. Is amazing.

I have hunted MT pronghorn twice and find them much more likely to take off running and stay running for a longer distance than my experience in several pronghorn hunts in WY and NM, as well as one hunt each in NV, OR, UT and TX. Be prepared to shoot your rifle out to 300 yards or further if you have that skill and setup. I prefer to shoot from rock-solid platform if over 200 yards and shooting sticks if closer. If are in sage or brush then may have to use shooting sticks to see through the scope.

I used a beef cow fabric decoy on my last MT hunt and was helpful as was pasture and BLM land without any trees or brush to break up my outline.

I have sometimes been able to get a distant herd or lone buck pronghorn to move closer to me by using a white flag on a walking stick and waving overhead. I think the pronghorn will be too spooky this late in the year for that to work but worth a try.

If get one on the ground, the cape hair is prone to pull out so try not to use the hair to grip as pull the animal and try not to drag along the ground if you are planning for a shoulder mount.

Most people will say getting the buck cooled down helps the meat flavor. I expect you will be hunting on a cool to cold day so will not really need to carry frozen milk jugs to place in the chest cavity and a cooler full of ice to cool the meat as might if was a warm day earlier in the year.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back