First-time elk hunter... I need help

TJT96

Hey everybody, I need some help/pointers to get me going in the right direction. I want to get started on elk hunting and figure a cow hunt is the best place to start; I’m from South Dakota, so everything would be non-res. I’m just going to list off some questions I have and if you have any answers or suggestions, I would love to hear your input!

-What’s the best route to get out either next year or in 2020? (Below are my ideas)
-Can you do a Colorado OTC antlerless tag or would you suggest putting in for a limited draw cow tag?
-Would a Montana antlerless be better?
-Is 004-00 Montana type B a cow general tag?

Any answers help, I’m not looking for the “honey-spot” or anything. I just know that getting out and trying is the best way to get experience, I figure sooner is better than later. Thanks!

Look into Wyoming cow tags. They are affordable and many have favorable season dates. If you don't draw there you can fall back on another state, since results come out so early.

On Colorado, I've come to the conclusion that the only way I'll ever be able to hunt the glory units is to do so with a cow tag. I'm hoping to burn my 1 point either this year or next on a cow tag in an area that takes 20-25 points for a bull tag.

I have no experience anywhere else to pass along.

MT 004-00 is not a general tag. It is a B Tag and must be drawn (unless there is a leftover after the draws, then you can buy first come, first served.)

Look into Wyoming cow tags. They are affordable and many have favorable season dates. If you don't draw there you can fall back on another state, since results come out so early./QUOTE]

^^^^^ Montana would be my next choice.

Okay, good to know. I tried looking at the hunt districts and didn’t see any specifications on that B tag. What districts can be hunted with 004-00 B Tag?

Okay, good to know. I tried looking at the hunt districts and didn’t see any specifications on that B tag. What districts can be hunted with 004-00 B Tag?

All but 2 units in Region 4 IIRC, but keep in mind it’s not good on National Forest or State WMA lands. This really cuts down on available hunting acreage, provided you cannot access private land.

I don't think there is such a thing as OTC anterless elk tags in CO, is there? There are OTC bull tags for 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons, but I think all cow tags are draw (or leftover, which is kind of like OTC, I guess).

I don't think there is such a thing as OTC anterless elk tags in CO, is there? There are OTC bull tags for 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons, but I think all cow tags are draw (or leftover, which is kind of like OTC, I guess).

This is what I gathered from my research; I just wanted to make sure I was interpreting that correctly, thanks!

You should be able to draw a cow tag in South Dakota if you put that as your first choice. You can probably still buy a point for this year and go in to the draw with 1 next year. Unless you want to wait 15 years to hunt bulls there and gain experience in other states, which I get.

You should be able to draw a cow tag in South Dakota if you put that as your first choice. You can probably still buy a point for this year and go in to the draw with 1 next year. Unless you want to wait 15 years to hunt bulls there and gain experience in other states, which I get.

I’ve been building points for the past few years in SD and am scared i’d Lose them to a cow tag if I put in for one as first choice. I’ll have to dig a little deeper into it however, thanks!

wyoming I believe has the cheapest tags. and usually a pretty long season. Have to watch, some are off NF only. If you are wanting to hunt elk for the experience and knowledge of elk hunting, do it during or as close to the reg bull/either sex season.

If you wait till the end of the season they will be moving or on the lower land and I don't think it will help you learn anything about hunting bulls.

You’ll definitely loose your points if you put in for them in the first draw. You just hadn’t mentioned anything about South Dakota so I didn’t know. I totally get building points there, sucks it takes so long, but it’s worth it. Hopefully you get something figured out. Good luck
Zach

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back