First time bow hunting for elk in Southwest MT

LCH

IMO, the best preparation for grizzlies is learning about their behavior. There are certain scenarios where a bear is much more likely to attack you - learn about these scenarios and how to avoid them. Grizzlies are rare, and so are their attacks on humans. You're more likely to get struck by lightning, injure yourself and not be able to hike out, or lose GPS capability and become lost in the wilderness. I will carry bear spray when hunting in grizzly country, but I am not confident it is going to save my life, or that i will even use it correctly in the moment of truth. The speed and agility of a grizzly charge incredible. I was charged by a bull bison once and completely lost my s--- and panicked/ran.

I did not intentionally approach this jewelry bear to such a close range (~20 yards), but once spotted, I was about as significant to this animal as a fly on it's ear. It was digging through rock hard earth as if it was marshmallow fluff, and eating roots. I didn't hang out long, and quietly, slowly left.

View attachment 108075
Just an aside, what can you do when charged by a bison but hightail it? I always figured when a bison charged he was fully committed to obliterating whatever his target happened to be.

ElkFever2

Just an aside, what can you do when charged by a bison but hightail it? I always figured when a bison charged he was fully committed to obliterating whatever his target happened to be.
I was near a steep embankment, ran to the edge, and jumped. This was 100% flight instinct and no thinking was involved. It was about a 12-15 foot drop down to a muddy creek bottom, so ended up being safe.

codycoop95

Bozeman, Billings, MT ----> Omaha, NE...and back s
Thanks for getting back. I've always been told a few things to avoid bears and I was wondering if I could get your take on them. I was always told that if you smell foul smells of anything close to a gut pile or rotting carcass to avoid that area. The other thing was a bad or terrible smell of body odor is also linked to bears being close by. Other than seeing obvious signs of bear droppings and fresh tracks, is there anything else I should avoid.
I would pretty much just echo what everyone else is saying. I carry a side arm and bear spray both. If you are carrying a side arm, it will do you no good if it is in your pack...keep that thing on your side. Otherwise, if you're staying overnight be sure to be hanging your food and anything with a scent far from camp. I personally try to keep my time in the dark both hiking in and out to a minimum. I tend to get in my own head in Griz country when I'm solo, but that is just me.