Caribou Gear Tarp

First time antelope hunt advice

220yotekiller

So I am headed out on the 18th on my first antelope hunt, I am going to be carrying 2 coolers full of frozen jugs to keep the meat cool. I ave heard that antelope have a gland that has to be removed or it will taint the meat, is this true and where is it located? Is there anything else that I need to think about regarding antelope meat or antelope hunting? I am planning on lots of glassing and log stalks.

Not sure about the gland. I have killed quite a few antelope and never have noticed one, but maybe I over looked it.

The only gland to really worry about is the black cheek patch on bucks. Just avoid touching it with your knife or hand and you will be fine. Now, if you like eating the jaw muscle, you have some logistal issues... 😁 They have one near the rump also, but just skin like any other big game and don't touch the bare meat after handling the outside fur. The gland will come off with the skin. I try and only grab the skin side when skinning an area out. I also carry a baggie full of nitrile gloves in my kill kit. If I feel they get tainted while skinning, I just remove the glove and replace. A side benefit is fairly clean hands after the task.

Nothing to be concerned with in my experience, use the same care you do with breaking down deer and elk, you’ll end up with some of the best tasting meat on the planet.

Good optics are a must-have item, as well as knee pads.
Instead of tweezers bring pliers!
Good luck, send pics. 💥

I think I've heard something about the gland too, but I don't remember the details. What I was always told, and have done, is just be extra careful with all of the hair, really avoid getting it on the meat and plucking it off quickly if it does. Same with your hands and knife, clean them off often, just doing everything you can to avoid hair on meat. More so that with deer or other game, though its always a good idea. Take great care of the meat, get it cool quickly, and you will have yourself some of the best meat there is! Good luck to ya!

So I am headed out on the 18th on my first antelope hunt, I am going to be carrying 2 coolers full of frozen jugs to keep the meat cool. I ave heard that antelope have a gland that has to be removed or it will taint the meat, is this true and where is it located? Is there anything else that I need to think about regarding antelope meat or antelope hunting? I am planning on lots of glassing and log stalks.
Wait to stalk until they get in a spot that allows you to use some cover.

I think this is an old hunter's tale. All ungulates have glands. Most of them have an odor, the biggest thing was always getting animals cooled quickly. "Tainted meat" always translated to "poor meat care," in my mind. Skin antelope as soon as you can after you kill it, quarter it, and put it on ice or in good quality meat bags to hang if it's less than 60 degrees. Don't forget tenderloins and backstraps (how could/why would anyone ever do this?)

Advice:

- if you can see them, they can see you, and better.
- when topping a hill or rounding a hill or corner to expose new land, DO IT SLOWLY AND GLASS (see above)
- Keep as low a profile as you can when you see them and plan a stalk, then get OUT OF SIGHT
- IF they are looking your way, even from 1/2 mile. They see you. You MIGHT still be able to stalk them, but don't go towards them while in sight
- They are further away than you think - bring a range finder

Once down, they are pretty small, but man that hair comes off EASY. If you grab a hand full of hair to move them, you will end up not moving them and have a hand full of hair :)

If you blow a stalk, there is another one over the hill 15 minutes away. It ain't the end of the world.

A buck that is in a good position for a stalk is worth 5 inches on the score

If you can see his eye, he is looking at you.

Never try to chase an antelope in a vehicle.

Antelope aren't hard to kill but they can soak up lead if you don't shock the CNS. I tend to aim for midline top to bottom along back edge of shoulder rather than rib with a rifle.

The gland is in the black patch on the cheek, sniff it after you kill one. It won't affect meat, it does have to be tended to by taxidermists when they mount one though.

Like someone else said, don't shoot the first one. And my best advice is that while their eyesight is really excellent and they WILL see you if you are sloppy, they're curious little devils so if you get one looking at you, just get small and still and let him react on his own. This is how I got my first buck, he spotted me but I was patient and his curiosity caused him to try to move and get a better look at me, which luckily gave me a good shot.

Oh and good job on planning for meat care, the meat is so so good but too many people abuse it and then claim it's sorry for the table. Wrong!

If you're not hunting alone, here's what I did hunting with my son two weeks ago. I had him carry a small tarp in his pack. After he shot his antelope, we did the gutless method and I would cut off a quarter and lay it on the tarp. Then he would go over it carefully to remove any hair or dirt which was minimal before putting it in game bags. We had a cooler with gallon jugs of ice back in the truck and we were on day 6. The cooler had never been opened in the 6 days and still had most of the ice. We had the meat on ice within 1 hour of him shooting the buck. My wife swears it's been the best eating wild game she has had. Good luck!!

Like others said above, good optics and a rangefinder are a nice thing for the hunt. I would say a rangefinder is almost a must. Glass from far out and make a stalk. Quit moving if they even move in your direction. One of my favorite first hunts of the fall!

Thanks guys, I double checked my rifle over the weekend and it is dead on the money. I also got a general idea of where my unit is, I haven't ever been there but if the number of antelope is the same as in the neiboring units I will have trouble holding out as I have a really ichy trigger finger!

I’ve killed one lope on one hunt but will share my lessons learned.
- gloves and knee pads as mentioned by others are a must have! Not joking.
- the wind is real. Pay attention to it before sending a slug
- rangefinder is good. My leupold was affected by either the wind or my shaking so didn’t read until within 350
- I treated mybuck like a deer and didn’t notice any taste difference mentioned by some. Was great
- shoot the first buck you are happy with. You can come back for the big hank later if compelled

First, if you remove all the fatty tissue, you will get the glands. They are in the wads of fat. There is a yellow cord that runs along the spine that gets into the back straps. That needs cut off. If you cut the neck meat, there is a yellow cord that runs from the spine to the brain. Remove that. If it is yellow or fatty, remove it and you are good to go.

As far as hunting, carry a piece of cloth with you to use as a flag. I put a flag on my rifle and raise it now and then to draw them in to shooting range. You can flag in Wyoming. Don't just put it up flying, the act of waiving it a few seconds and bringing it down has worked for me. A buck antelope or a cow decoy also works to get them in closer. One of the faults antelope have is their strong curiosity.

I also do not shoot running antelope and prefer to hunt before 10 AM or after 6 PM and try to let a herd settle down and relax some before I start a stalk and I low crawl. Once they sense you as a threat, they are gone. They are as bad as elk sometimes if they smell you.

Last edited:
Back