Yeti GOBOX Collection

Help! Wyoming antelope!

RyanJohn

I’m looking to do an Antelope hunt in Wyoming in 2020. I’ll have 1 PP. I’m not looking for trophy animals and Im in good shape so I’m willing to walk forever to see game. Are there any units I should be focusing more of my attention on? Also, if I could do some grouse/deer hunting or fishing if I tag out on antelope quick that would be a bonus! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Huge Thanks in advance!!!

Use ONXmaps and GoHunt to deeply investigate the easy draw eastern units, realizing that the reason they are easy to draw is there is a lack of easy public access (willing to walk or not). Be aware that ONXmaps roads aren’t always public, so once you start focusing on a given unit get the county road and bridge maintence map - thy typically only show (or delineate) public roads in the county. You also call the G&F local rep or the roads dept to confirm is something is tricky.

Use ONXmaps and GoHunt to deeply investigate the easy draw eastern units, realizing that the reason they are easy to draw is there is a lack of easy public access (willing to walk or not). Be aware that ONXmaps roads aren’t always public, so once you start focusing on a given unit get the county road and bridge maintence map - thy typically only show (or delineate) public roads in the county. You also call the G&F local rep or the roads dept to confirm is something is tricky.
Thank you for the advice! I bought a garment gps with a chip to help me stay on public lands.

If you have 1 PP you will have some options. If you’re willing to apply in the special draw, you’ll have quite a few more options. The popular units with tons of public access will be out of your reach, but you’ll have opportunities. I’d spend some time on the WY Game & Fish website. Their Hunt Planner tool is very easy to use, and it’ll be a big help. Again, the units with tons of public are going to be hard for you to draw, so you’ll need to focus on those units with mostly private. But... WY has an awesome Walk-In Access program that you can utilize. Those WIA often hold antelope, and often these WIA parcels provide access to public ground that would be otherwise landlocked. A little time on the Hunt Planner, and you’ll identify quite a few units that will serve you well this fall. Good luck!

If you have 1 PP you will have some options. If you’re willing to apply in the special draw, you’ll have quite a few more options. The popular units with tons of public access will be out of your reach, but you’ll have opportunities. I’d spend some time on the WY Game & Fish website. Their Hunt Planner tool is very easy to use, and it’ll be a big help. Again, the units with tons of public are going to be hard for you to draw, so you’ll need to focus on those units with mostly private. But... WY has an awesome Walk-In Access program that you can utilize. Those WIA often hold antelope, and often these WIA parcels provide access to public ground that would be otherwise landlocked. A little time on the Hunt Planner, and you’ll identify quite a few units that will serve you well this fall. Good luck!
I’m going to PM you!

Use the search feature on the website. There are tons of posts directly related to this. I haven't been but you should check them out.

Ill second everything that has been said thus far. All good comments. I would suggest considering paying up for the special and and pulling a 2nd choice tag and saving your point. On my first trip I was willing to walk forever and got a buck I was happy with. Got hooked on antelope and am glad I didn’t burn my points. If you’re willing to work and can shoot, a 2nd choice buck is definitely doable. Grab some doe tags too. Good luck.

You said 2020...so buy another point this year and start researching.

If he does not have one preference point now, prior to the 2019 application and draw, he could buy one this year. Then in 2020 he would have only one point going into the draw that year.

It sounds to me that is his situation.

ClearCreek

Ill second everything that has been said thus far. All good comments. I would suggest considering paying up for the special and and pulling a 2nd choice tag and saving your point. On my first trip I was willing to walk forever and got a buck I was happy with. Got hooked on antelope and am glad I didn’t burn my points. If you’re willing to work and can shoot, a 2nd choice buck is definitely doable. Grab some doe tags too. Good luck.
Going to PM you!

If he does not have one preference point now, prior to the 2019 application and draw, he could buy one this year. Then in 2020 he would have only one point going into the draw that year.

It sounds to me that is his situation.

ClearCreek
You are correct!

I'm in the same boat but have been considering applying for some of the hard to draw units this year (deadline is May 31) and then buying a PP this summer. The reason I plan to apply for hard to draw units is because I do not have the time or money to go out west this year, so I want to be sure I don't draw. This would give me 2 points going into the 2020 draw.

Maybe I'm missing something and the experienced guys can help out, but I think this may be a good plan for you as well!

I'm in the same boat but have been considering applying for some of the hard to draw units this year (deadline is May 31) and then buying a PP this summer. The reason I plan to apply for hard to draw units is because I do not have the time or money to go out west this year, so I want to be sure I don't draw. This would give me 2 points going into the 2020 draw.

Maybe I'm missing something and the experienced guys can help out, but I think this may be a good plan for you as well!
In WY you can just buy the point outright - no need to apply and fail.

Mariner, you were answered in your other thread but there is no reason to apply. If you apply there is a chance you will draw. You can buy a point in july without the requirement that you had to apply.

I did a 2nd Choice pronghorn buck tag then a Leftover pronghorn buck tag in 2018. Was a zoo over by Buffalo. 100s of tag but a few parcels of public land larger than could see the entire parcel in 5 minutes. Opening day through that weekend was a lot of vehicles on the roads and was not unusual to have 2, if not 3, groups shooting at a string of pronghorn crossing a bit of public. Brown and down. Pressure on the public parcels decrease over time though the bucks start to toss of horns if wait too long in the season. I could have filled the 2nd Choice tag but was not my style of hunting to blast away and the only bucks I saw during hikes were not much above the ears. I hiked the only two "big" public parcels in the unit. One parcel has some nasty terrain near the gravel road then you got to land that was hidden from a gravel road. The other parcel extends out with some valleys hidden from the roads though I did encounter a couple of ATVs which was scaring animals onto private, perhaps intentionally. I hiked a bit more than 18 miles total in two days where decided driving roads was not my cup of tea.

I drove the Leftover unit one afternoon and saw a lot of ATVs zooming on the big chunk of BLM I had e-scouted that seemed interesting. So, I did not hunt that tag.

Choose wisely for 2nd Choice tags and Leftover. If you have access to private, are hiring a guide or know the unit then should do great on any unit. If there are 100s of tags and you do not know the unit then do not expect will see unpressured animals on private.

Even 1 point opens up a dozen or more units with a lot less warts on them than 2nd Choice and Leftovers. 2 points should get you a much more satisfying experience than I had. I hunted two very good pronghorn units in WY using tags I drew with points and the bucks did not act as if had been pressured. I did not see many hunters on the roads nor out hiking. Plenty of time to field judge and make stalks.

I did a 2nd Choice pronghorn buck tag then a Leftover pronghorn buck tag in 2018. Was a zoo over by Buffalo. 100s of tag but a few parcels of public land larger than could see the entire parcel in 5 minutes. Opening day through that weekend was a lot of vehicles on the roads and was not unusual to have 2, if not 3, groups shooting at a string of pronghorn crossing a bit of public. Brown and down. Pressure on the public parcels decrease over time though the bucks start to toss of horns if wait too long in the season. I could have filled the 2nd Choice tag but was not my style of hunting to blast away and the only bucks I saw during hikes were not much above the ears. I hiked the only two "big" public parcels in the unit. One parcel has some nasty terrain near the gravel road then you got to land that was hidden from a gravel road. The other parcel extends out with some valleys hidden from the roads though I did encounter a couple of ATVs which was scaring animals onto private, perhaps intentionally. I hiked a bit more than 18 miles total in two days where decided driving roads was not my cup of tea.

I drove the Leftover unit one afternoon and saw a lot of ATVs zooming on the big chunk of BLM I had e-scouted that seemed interesting. So, I did not hunt that tag.

Choose wisely for 2nd Choice tags and Leftover. If you have access to private, are hiring a guide or know the unit then should do great on any unit. If there are 100s of tags and you do not know the unit then do not expect will see unpressured animals on private.

Even 1 point opens up a dozen or more units with a lot less warts on them than 2nd Choice and Leftovers. 2 points should get you a much more satisfying experience than I had. I hunted two very good pronghorn units in WY using tags I drew with points and the bucks did not act as if had been pressured. I did not see many hunters on the roads nor out hiking. Plenty of time to field judge and make stalks.
May I ask which unit you were hunting? I’m planning my first trip out west this fall and saving my points while drawing a second choice tag. Sure hope it’s not the unit I’ve been looking at

Ditto. I hunted South of Buffalo last season, last 2 weeks of season and it was still a zoo. Even antelope that were within a half mile of public had multiple people parked on them hoping they would cross over. Idiots were driving and walking small parcels right out in the open (some had antelope ear hats on), running every public goat around a mile off of public. Saw a lot of folks pushing the limits of legality too.

I’m looking to do an Antelope hunt in Wyoming in 2020. I’ll have 1 PP. I’m not looking for trophy animals and Im in good shape so I’m willing to walk forever to see game. Are there any units I should be focusing more of my attention on? Also, if I could do some grouse/deer hunting or fishing if I tag out on antelope quick that would be a bonus! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Huge Thanks in advance!!!

If you look for 34 or 38, there are generally less people put in for them than quotas. The problem is access. However, if you pay a visit to the ranchers and farmers in those areas, most will let you hunt, least in my experience. I know hunt on FE Warren archery because I am military retired and on Nimmo ranch with rifle if I don't get one on the military base. You should draw at least every other year in these areas, but again, public access is the issue. However, there is more access on private land than people realize, simply by asking and showing that you respect deeded property rights.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back