Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

First time antelope hunt advice

Good Binos and rangefinder. Camo that is not too dark. They seem to bed down 10-3 where I hunt. Find a spot with trails and sit or go hill peeking. I used to have a meat locker but now I just age for five days in a big cooler with ice jugs. Sometimes they taste great and other times not. Never had any problems with glands. My favorite hunt of the year. I have a pic of a cool ”nontypical” I shot will Try to post later.

One thing with antelope, be persistent on your stalks. For every stalk that is successful, you will fail on probably 10. You have to be persistent and keep trying.

Don't rush to shoot the first one you see.
You can hunt pronghorn effectively all day long. Afternoon heat waves can make judging them difficult but afternoon pronghorn hunts are arguably just as effective as morning and evening.
Their eyesight is much better than yours. I've watched pronghorn run away when I stop the truck even a mile away to get a better look. Generally if you are more than 1000 yards they won't run but they may stay on alert if they have seen you. Some pronghorn are not spooky at all and you could walk up to them and shoot them with your bow.
Since your name is 220yotekiller, you probably like to get after coyotes like I do. Last year on my Wyoming pronghorn hunt I killed 4 coyotes. I should have killed 10 coyotes in 2 days but I was too focused on hunting pronghorn instead of killing coyotes.

Find an antelope you like. Shoot it. Skin it and hang it in the shade. Process it in the field if you want. If not, pack the quarters on ice for the trip home. The yellow neck tendon will fall out when you slow cool the neck roasts.

The end.

I know everyone is saying don't shoot the first one you see and I often agree, but take into account the unit you're going to. I may have missed it, but I didn't see the state mentioned and whether it took any preference points. There are plenty of Colorado units where you dang well should shoot the first one if you're hunting public.

Any Wyoming unit that took at least a couple of points will have your mind boggled at the number of animals.

I know everyone is saying don't shoot the first one you see and I often agree, but take into account the unit you're going to. I may have missed it, but I didn't see the state mentioned and whether it took any preference points. There are plenty of Colorado units where you dang well should shoot the first one if you're hunting public.

Any Wyoming unit that took at least a couple of points will have your mind boggled at the number of animals.
Hello, I am a new hunter looking for some advice. I just bought my first pronghorn preference point for Wyoming yesterday. Is it a good idea to look at the drawing odds and then apply for units that require less preference points? Or should I save the points for the harder to get units?

Thanks

Shoot sorry, I'm a Wyoming resident and pulled this that first shot out of the box. Like I said I havn't ever been in the unit itself but I have travled through the units to the south of it and there were tons of animals. The 18th can't get here fast enough!

Depends on what kind of hunting experience your after kitmandu. Once you decide the type of pronghorn you want to harvest, the amount of public land you want available, your sleeping accommodations, and how often you want to go pronghorn hunting, then I think you between the map and drawing odds you’ll be able to find units that will work for you. My $0.02 is go hunting as often as you can.

I ave heard that antelope have a gland that has to be removed or it will taint the meat, is this true and where is it located? Is there anything else that I need to think about regarding antelope meat or antelope hunting?

The HT Authoritative Bible Thread on antelope meat care.

I'm a newbie too. I shot my first one last year in MT. I appreciate all the good advice. I'm definitely bringing knee pads next time!

I'm a newbie too. I shot my first one last year in MT. I appreciate all the good advice. I'm definitely bringing knee pads next time!
Hello from Minnesota,
Did the MT tag require pref points? Also was it public land? I just bought my first WY pref point for pronghorn.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back