First rifle build

Very nice!! Definitely give R15 a try as it's supposed to be more temperature stable than the other Reloader powders. The temp stability was increased during its redevelopment for a military contract build. Lots of folks are having good luck with Ramshot's Big Game powder in that catridge with that bullet weight. Either way you're close and I'd hunt that R17 load as it stands.

Gave RL-15 a try, shot well. The first shot in this group was the one almost dead center (on a clean bore). Then the next 4 were all touching.

IMG_4979.JPG

Varget is showing some promise as well:

IMG_4980.JPG

E R Shaw does the flutes on the barrel that way.

They are here in Pittsburgh, talked to them in March about their custom rifles. Price was great, but the lead time was 14 months. I needed it for this October, and had to go a different direction.

Good shootin' "Tex"! Was the day the r15 and Varget groups shot less windy than the day the previous groups were shot? Reason I ask is that is that the last two appear to have less horizontal dispersion than the previous. Either way, it looks like you have your pick of loads to use. I would hesitate to use either the R15, R17 or Varget to punch tags. Nice rig!

I don't have a 7, but Varget is perfect in my 18 1/2 inch barreled .308. It shoots sub-minute with 165 Hornadys if I do my part. I agree that RL15 will do real well also.

Nice Buzz. I chose the 7-08 for my custom also it just isnt done yet about ready to go to the gun smith and get the parts that he has had up there for a year and a half and have someone else do it.

Coming from another left hander that's a fine looking gun!

About 20 years ago I had a LH 700 made up into a 280 Rem. with a 24" Douglas barrel, 3X9 Leupold compact, and a Brown Precision kevlar stock. I started with a new 270 Win. barreled action back when you could buy one from Remington. I like the looks of yours better.

Back