My Rifle Build

RockinU

This rifle started life as a regular ole Rem 700 in .300 win mag, and after several years of commendable service started getting really picky on ammo, and the groups started to open up, leading me to conclude that the barrel was about done. I decided that I wanted to rebuild it "right", or at least right like I wanted it, and after talking to several smiths decided to let Horizon Firearms in College Station Texas build it for me. I've shot one of their rifles and like it, and they have a reputation for quality builds and timely completions which can sometimes be a problem in the gunsmith world. Got it back last week, mounted a scope yesterday and took it to the range today.

rifle1.jpgRifle2.jpg

It has a 25" Benchmark barrel with a 6 groove progressive twist flute on it to shave a little weight, and because I like the look, with Horizon's in house brake. The action is still the Rem 700, but it's blueprinted and trued. It's in an Iota Kremlin stock. A Timney 510 trigger, although I'm thinking of switching to a TriggerTech in the future as I have one on another rifle and I like it a lot. For this season it will wear the Vortex Viper HS it wore in it's previous life, but I'm saving for a glass upgrade for next year...leaning towards a Leupold Mark 5 HD.

target1.jpgTarget2.jpg

As you can see, the 3rd shot of a string is the bane of my existence, I go full head-case. Especially on the last target, when shot 2 barely shaded the lower right edge of shot 1, I wanted that "1 ragged hole" group bad, but my lust got the better of me and I lost it. Still pretty pleased with how it shot.

Anyway with paying private school tuition, and all the sports, and activity expenses for my 2 kids, (etc. etc.) it's taken me a while to save up to get this done, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out, and can't wait to get it in the field.

Still a .300 win.

My brother and I "redesigned" my reloading bench, and I haven't gotten everything back up and running on it yet, and I feel kind of time crunched so I ordered some Nosler Custom loads in a 200 gr accubond. They advertise it at 2800 fps, I chrono-ed it just a touch north of that (about 2830) with a pretty minimal spread. Seems like a solid load to take to the mountain until I can work something up.

I'm still considering a Nightforce, but there are 2 things giving me pause. One, they are heavy, and while I know quality glass is heavy...I'm not sure where the balance point as far as bang for my buck is. The second is that even after talking to 2 guys who sell Nightforce I haven't been able to get a real clear view of their support, such as warranty etc. They may be awesome, I don't know, but for a scope at that price point I need to feel rock solid that they support their products.

I have time to figure it out, putting my money in an envelope every month...

I'm still considering a Nightforce, but there are 2 things giving me pause. One, they are heavy, and while I know quality glass is heavy...I'm not sure where the balance point as far as bang for my buck is. The second is that even after talking to 2 guys who sell Nightforce I haven't been able to get a real clear view of their support, such as warranty etc. They may be awesome, I don't know, but for a scope at that price point I need to feel rock solid that they support their products.

I have time to figure it out, putting my money in an envelope every month...
I love my NF BR for target shooting, but equally love Leupold 5vxHD and 6vxHD for hunting rifles. At the pricing schmalts can get you on the leupolds they’re a no brainer on a hunting rifle (I especially love the 6s)

The LRTS 3-12x44 would go nicely with the package imo.

Nice build. How do you like the iota?

I really like it. It’s really light, like to the point where I asked if it was hollow cored. Derrick at Horizon will tell you all about how they get the weight down. A lot of thought has gone into the designs.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back