First Preference Points!

WestKyHunt

While I know this isn't a big deal to most on here, I just purchased my first ever out-of-state preference points!
Bought one for antelope and elk in Wyoming!

I just wanted a place to share this first chapter of western hunting in my life, and figured this is best place as any.
I'm sure there will be many questions to come and will repay those with answers on other topics im knowledgeable of

That’s a good start. Just curious your approximate age and if you are going to add other States?
About to be 24 and after purchasing a rifle, shotgun, bow, binos and rangefinder this year WY is probably the only state this year.
I plan to start building in atleast CO next year.

Hoping to get out west for the first time next year on a antelope hunt, more than likely solo.

Good job. That's the first step to making it happen.

I am alot older than you....just started last year so I have 2 in every state you can have them.......wish I had started at your age!

I know alot of people who talk about going on some badass DIY western hunt, etc....but every year I remind them about the deadlines, and they just let them go by.

I know alot of people who talk about going on some badass DIY western hunt, etc....but every year I remind them about the deadlines, and they just let them go by.
I feel I was pretty lucky to realize at my age that things rarely just happen.

Most things in life, especially the ones worth doing, only come by making them happen.

All my life I've listened to my dad say he wished he would've done this or that, and decided that I do not want a life of regrets.
I hope in the end I can teach those around me to do the same

Good for you!! Can't go wrong with Wyoming. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably pick up a deer point as well in Wyoming. For me Wyoming is about as good as it gets and I try to pick up at least one tag a year if possible between elk, antelope, and deer. Just a thought.

Good start and like others have said, I wish I'd started at your age but oh well. Wyoming has a wealth of opportunities. Do yourself a favor and grab a deer point while you still have a week or so. Good plan to add Colorado next year.

Good start and like others have said, I wish I'd started at your age but oh well. Wyoming has a wealth of opportunities. Do yourself a favor and grab a deer point while you still have a week or so. Good plan to add Colorado next year.
I definitely plan to add CO. From what I've read, it seems like a great place for mule deer

I am from eastern Ky. Been building points in Wyoming and Colorado for a few years. Went to Wyoming last year on an antelope hunt. My first western hunt. It was a blast. I will be back. Work and COVID prevented a trip this year but am planning on going next year for sure.

Nice! My advice is try to burn them as early and often as possible. My goal is usually not acquire more than 3-4 points for most states/species, but sometimes schedules and the like dictate otherwise.
This is sound advice and why I asked your age. There are some great hunts that you will have an opportunity to draw over the years. There are some permits many of us will not draw in our lifetime unless certain States change their rules around preference points due to point creep. Be sure to learn the difference between bonus points and preference points.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back