Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

first muley

bow hunter

7 days of hard hunting, 16 degrees, 50-60 mph winds, blinding snow, and somehow i managed place my tag on my first muley. on my own, public land muley with my bow in the ruby mountains. not a big guy by any means, but given the weather conditions and it was my last day to hunt, im mighty proud of him. i shot him at 3 yards!

Any muley with a bow is something to be excited about. Congrats! Three yards???? Tell us how you got so close.

it was one hell of a hunt. so, i was in ruby valley on sunday morning and i couldnt even see across the road, the weather was so bad. the night before i saw several nice bucks up in some aspens on the hillside. however, i couldnt close the deal cause of the openess. i had no cover. all i could get to was one stand of aspens about 200 yards from the stand of aspens the big boys were in. so, i decided to use the cover of the storm to get into the hillside trees. id wait the storm out there, then when the storm let up, id be in position. well, again, i only made it to the first stand of trees. the snow and wind had gotten so bad, i just couldnt see any longer. so, i sat down in the middle of a willow and decided to wait till it let up a bit. i had just taken my pack off and was getting a drink of h2o when i saw a doe standing behind me not 10 yards away! i also noticed a little forky, and i could see a rack. so, i grabbed my bow and when i did they started walking towards me and trying to figure out what i was. the bigger buck started grunting and walked around the willow i was in and stopped 3 yards from me. i was already at full draw so i let er fly. 75 yards later, my first muley was down. i was proud of him mainly cause of the conditions i killed him in and that he was my first. but he definetly had ground shrinkage. i thought he was the big 4 pt i saw the night before. however, im mountain this 3x2 mainly cause of the memories. in trying to post a pic or two of him. it keeps saying file upload failed though.

this is the blizzard buck from ruby valley. like i said, not a big guy, but a well earned one!

Attachments

• robbuck1.bmp
    287.4 KB · Views: 269
this is the ruby valley blizzard buck. like i said, not a big guy, but a well earned one!

Attachments

• robbuck1.bmp
    287.4 KB · Views: 265
You are a better man than I am! I would have found some place warm with a hot beverage. Now iffn I was 30 years younger, another story.

ha, well in 30 years im sure i wont be doing that again either. it was just my last day and i had gotten 2 late muley tags and an antelope tag in 3 years. i had yet to fill a tag so i was a little more determined this year! when a friend of mine showed up to help me pack him out, he walked up and said, " you crazy bastard, who hunts in this $%!%" lol

yeah, my wife is trying to figure it out too. we made the file smaller but it still wont upload. maybe ill get it figured out today

Nice. I've got my eye on that tag too. did you see good numbers of bucks on the public ground?

i saw a ton of monster muleys. harrison pass is loaded with bucks, but also loaded with hunters. i was in lamoille canyon and didnt see many hunters. i saw one buck that would score over 200 and he was 34" wide! i was 42 yards from him but he wouldnt give me a good shot. i think he deserved better than to just be stuck with a broadhead. was a heartbreaker though. ruby valley also help a large number of bucks. its a great hunt cause of the visability of the bucks, but its a tough one cause of the weather and the herd of does each buck has. lots of eyes and noses to sneak past! i highly recommend this hunt!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back