First MT elk!

raiderbowhunter

Well, after a long short season due to gaining residency in late archery season, I finally sealed the deal on a MT elk last Wednesday.

Not a whole lot to the story other than perseverance and hard work do pay off, even if it is late in the game. I appreciate all the words of encouragement when I came on here having a pity party back in early November, I stayed after it and kept hunting the state land near my work each week.

Fact of the matter is luck in gun season is 99.999999% of the deal I think. I just happened to tip the scales of luck in my favor last week and stumbled onto a herd with a nice 7x7 and several cows. Unfortunately, it was a draw unit and my tag only allowed a cow, but you can't eat the horns. lol To say that I was happy would be a huge understatement, a public land elk my first season living outside TX is a tremendous trophy to me.

Now, the work begins to prepare for next season and hopefully an archery bull!

Attachments

• ELK.JPG
    ELK.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 604
  • E L K.JPG
    E L K.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 600
Congrats. Looks like she'll eat good.

Sounds like you know of a unit to put in for on the draw for next year.

Funny how many bulls you see in the cow only sections. Way cool that you had success the first season. I have a feeling luck will play much less of a role in your future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back