First Mature Buck - Northern CO

Mason326

Shot my second buck deer ever this year, nice mature mulie. Intended to hike in about 1.5-2 miles but had to keep going to find water for myself. Ended up about 4 miles back. Packed in enough for all of next week but saw this buck my first morning hunting and knew it was one I needed to make a play on. Glassed him about a mile away and stalked in, couple other hunters scared some does into his drainage/bed and I thought it was game over but he was really just below me the whole time. Looped around to where I had last seen him to get downwind and sure enough up he stands and the new rifle harvested its first head of game around 9:30am. Hiked out the meat and skull the 5-6mi back to the truck by about 10:30pm and temperatures dictated I take it home then. Came back after a day of rest to pack out camp.
MD 16.jpg

Thanks, y'all. This Texas boy finally found his hunting style backpacking out West here I think... This buck will be the first animal I've ever made any kind of mount out of.

Thanks, y'all. This Texas boy finally found his hunting style backpacking out West here I think... This buck will be the first animal I've ever made any kind of mount out of.
Definitely one for the wall! Congrats. Sounds like a heck of a pack job!

Congrats! File that behavior away for the next hunt, have seen many mature bucks stay in their bed when other deer spook.

Back