Yeti GOBOX Collection

First hand Covid symptoms

The hunting trip you took was a nonessential trip and you did it in order to indulge yourself in a nonessential activity. If you were as high minded and self righteous about COVID as you claim to be then you would of foregone one hunting season instead of taking a chance of moving across international borders and coming to an area that had an outbreak. Instead you want to bad mouth everyone who didn't conform to your will and do as you say in order to allow you to indulge yourself. If your house has a mirror in it, then go take a look in it, the guy looking back at you; he suffers from some major issues of being a dick.

Nemont
Actually, I was probably safer hunting pheasants every day in Montana than staying home where my grandson would be over almost every day. He's back in school and there was a significant uptick in infections here while I was gone. I also had personal business back in Montana that was long overdue being looked after so it wasn't all nonessential. Since the community here (110,000) was essentially clean of infections when I left and I had no symptoms, it would have been highly unlikely that I would take the virus with me. Had I known that people were acting so carelessly there, I might not have went. It was quite shocking. It wasn't just my will those people were not conforming to. It was the governor's mandate. Both common sense, common decency, and respect for the law meant nothing. Community attitudes have certainly changed a lot from when I lived there twelve years ago.

So you had essential business to attend to that required you to stay for weeks and hunt as well? That seems like a childish excuse at best. I wear a mask because to me it like wearing seatbelt but let me again inquire, once your essential business was completed were you required to stay and hunt or was it to indulge yourself in a nonessential activity? Had you returned once your business was concluded you would have already been out of quarantine.

My issue isn't that you came and hunted it is the whining that some how you are superior in your concern for others because you chose ignore the Canadian government advice about what is essential travel and chose to stay and hunt which isn't essential or even necessary. Then you bring out the broad brush about the entire Highline. Your mirror won't lie to you like you are lying to yourself. Staying and hunting was a choice to do a nonessential activity and you are neither better or more concerned than anyone else about catching or passing on COVID. Get off your high horse.

The Canadian government is obviously more concerned about frivolous tourism in the usual sense (like what Montana experienced this past summer ... by all accounts tourism there was unbelievable), not some guy who is going to either be alone in his camper trailer or in the field hunting birds all the time. Until the last day I avoided motels. Once my brother and I ate in a restaurant ... when it was empty. The campground I stayed in was closed by the time I got there (early cold snap forced him to blow out the water lines early). My camper was the only one there. I shopped for groceries and dogfood a couple of times late at night and spent one day at the junkyards getting parts for my Jimmy after taking out a deer with it. No socializing and no shopping. Masked up always and sanitizer in my pocket. My daughter was opposed to me leaving because she had heard infections were climbing in Montana. But I pointed out I would undoubtedly be safer there than here considering what I would be doing there as opposed to here. So why not go with safer as long as it doesn't pose a threat to others (dogs and birds can't get infected)? My nonessential travel was clearly not the norm. I planned for the quarantine. No problem. I'm retired and my daughter drops off groceries as needed. Rougher on the dogs. I can't even take them for a walk. The health dept has been by a couple of times to check for compliance. I make it quick and easy for them by keeping the front window curtains pulled and light on so they can see me on the couch.

The Canadian government is obviously more concerned about frivolous tourism in the usual sense (like what Montana experienced this past summer ... by all accounts tourism there was unbelievable), not some guy who is going to either be alone in his camper trailer or in the field hunting birds all the time. Until the last day I avoided motels. Once my brother and I ate in a restaurant ... when it was empty. The campground I stayed in was closed by the time I got there (early cold snap forced him to blow out the water lines early). My camper was the only one there. I shopped for groceries and dogfood a couple of times late at night and spent one day at the junkyards getting parts for my Jimmy after taking out a deer with it. No socializing and no shopping. Masked up always and sanitizer in my pocket. My daughter was opposed to me leaving because she had heard infections were climbing in Montana. But I pointed out I would undoubtedly be safer there than here considering what I would be doing there as opposed to here. So why not go with safer as long as it doesn't pose a threat to others (dogs and birds can't get infected)? My nonessential travel was clearly not the norm. I planned for the quarantine. No problem. I'm retired and my daughter drops off groceries as needed. Rougher on the dogs. I can't even take them for a walk. The health dept has been by a couple of times to check for compliance. I make it quick and easy for them by keeping the front window curtains pulled and light on so they can see me on the couch.

That makes you no better than anyone else you bad mouthed down here. You chose to ignore the Canadian government recommendations on nonessential travel just like the people you encountered chose to ignore our governor on wearing masks, Period. You can make any excuse you want but it won't pass the BS meter. Not a single person forced you to to go try and buy dog food or remain in Montana and hunt once your essential business was completed. You chose to do that. Like I said get off your high horse.

Nemont

Dang Randy, sorry to hear that. I have no idea what the possible justification could have been in that man’s mind to get on that plane. I hope the upward trend continues, and that you’re back to 100 soon.

That makes you no better than anyone else you bad mouthed down here. You chose to ignore the Canadian government recommendations on nonessential travel just like the people you encountered chose to ignore our governor on wearing masks, Period. You can make any excuse you want but it won't pass the BS meter. Not a single person forced you to to go try and buy dog food or remain in Montana and hunt once your essential business was completed. You chose to do that. Like I said get off your high horse.

Nemont
You need to read that Canada govt publication you posted. It "advises" Canadians not to travel abroad, mostly because the govt is fed up having to fetch citizens trapped in foreign countries that lock down their borders (e.g. the stupid Machu Pichu tourists who left after the pandemic started and got stuck in Peru for months). Canada closed its borders to American visitors. It cannot close its borders to Canadians returning (I am both Canadian and American). That notice you cited was intended to provide clear warnings about problems with leaving the country (airline and border closures, travel insurance restrictions, and MANDATORY quarantine on return). The US, curiously, has not closed its borders to Canadians ... but only those who are flying down there. As far as I know there is no quarantine restriction after they arrive. The old snowbird couple sealed in their motorhome can't cross the border yet anyone who, like Randy, wants to sit on a plane full of questionably unhealthy passengers can. Hmmm. CBC News asked Homeland Security to explain the logic. Two months later and still no response. Probably because like so many of the questionable pandemic responses of the now past administration, there is no good explanation.

I had hoped me and the crew would skate by without an incident this year. We have been tested regularly, took all precautions, masks, worked remotely since March, more hand sanitizer than seemed reasonable, etc.

Flying home from Arizona on Wednesday I was watching a couple walk down the aisle toward their seats. The husband, looking in mid-60's is sweating and is the closest version of "death on a platter" I've seen in a while. They plop down one row ahead of me and across the aisle. Instantly he is coughing his lungs out. To get more breath while coughing, he would lower his mask to his chin.

I look at Marcus who is seated behind me. We share a common look that if ever we have seen someone with COVID, that guy is it.

Through out the hour-long flight he coughs every few minutes. Wife is in the window seat, he's in the aisle. When he coughs, he turns toward the aisle, turning slightly red, then almost blue, eventually slumping back in his seat when the session is over.

Glancing around as other watch the same, I can tell I am not the only person wondering, "How did this guy get allowed on this plane."

Get home Wednesday afternoon. Work from home that day, Thursday, Friday. Hmm. Maybe the guy on the plane was just a hard smoker and needed some more Camel non-filters to keep him rested.

I wake up Saturday morning to a 99.7F fever. Text my doc/hunting friend about the fever. With my underlying liver condition, he gets me tested ASAP. By Saturday night I'm a complete imitation of the guy on the plane. Mrs. Fin thinks I'm gonna need a lung transplant. Sunday morning is worse. Body aches, coughing, fever, thinking the man on the pale horse might be waiting for me out on the porch. Monday is not as bad.

This morning the results are in - positive. Explaining to the doctor where I had been and what I was exposed to, the most likely culprit is the flight home.

Fever is gone this morning. Cough is not as bad. Body aches still beyond what my age of 56 years old should provide. Thankful it seems to be trending better. If the trend on Sunday had continued, I am sure hospitalization would have been the option today. Still have my taste and smell.

Now, isolating for two weeks. Thankful it was only as bad as it was, and not worse.

Reflecting on the irony of all the precautions I have taken, along with my crew. All the tests we have submitted to before traveling. And then, on the last day of the last trip of a 100-day season, I get seated next to someone on a plane that likely was positive.

Fortunately Marcus was a row behind me. He is symptom free at this point and in the wilds of Idaho helping Michael on an elk hunt. Hoping he doesn't have it.

Hope you continue to improve and get back to normal! Sounds like it will only minimally impact your business. So that's something to be thankful for.

Myself wife and 3 daughters all had this virus. Very mild for them as they are in their 20's but was a battle for me and my wife. I developed a sunburn type feeling on back and neck that turned into a rash later. We had the usual aches and fatigue for 9-10 days along with a little fever and some cough. This virus makes you feel absolutely terrible and i have never been sick with the flu or pneumonia so it was all new to me. We are all fine and back to hunting but I would not wish this on anyone. It's not bad on some people but older folks can be tough on and you hate to see anyone lose their life. Hope everyone on here that had it gets back to hunting soon.

I had the COVID during thanksgiving week. It was a butt kicker for a couple of days, I was super tired, achy, and my lungs were on fire if I did anything physical. I could see how it could get a lot worse if you have underlying conditions.

Best luck Randy. Better that it hit after the last hunt than the first. Hopefully Marcus dodged the bullet on that plane and stays healthy in Idaho.

You need to read that Canada govt publication you posted. It "advises" Canadians not to travel abroad, mostly because the govt is fed up having to fetch citizens trapped in foreign countries that lock down their borders (e.g. the stupid Machu Pichu tourists who left after the pandemic started and got stuck in Peru for months). Canada closed its borders to American visitors. It cannot close its borders to Canadians returning (I am both Canadian and American). That notice you cited was intended to provide clear warnings about problems with leaving the country (airline and border closures, travel insurance restrictions, and MANDATORY quarantine on return). The US, curiously, has not closed its borders to Canadians ... but only those who are flying down there. As far as I know there is no quarantine restriction after they arrive. The old snowbird couple sealed in their motorhome can't cross the border yet anyone who, like Randy, wants to sit on a plane full of questionably unhealthy passengers can. Hmmm. CBC News asked Homeland Security to explain the logic. Two months later and still no response. Probably because like so many of the questionable pandemic responses of the now past administration, there is no good explanation.
Out of deference to Randy I am going to stop trying to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man who cannot look in the mirror and see a hypocrite.

So I am done.

Randy hope you are better soon and that by this time next year we can view this pandemic in the rear view mirror.

Nemont

Last edited:
I’ve always been skeptical of the corporate ‘scientists’ that say planes are safe due to their ventilation and HEPA filters but dining, gyms or church isn’t.

No matter how much air you blow through a plane, it is still a flying tube full of people.
Glad to hear you’re okay. I’ll be flying next week and will be watching for guys like that on the Phx to Missoula flight.
I don’t really care if I get Covid myself but don’t want to bring it to anyone older that I might be near around Christmas.

hydrogenated vegetable oils
I think you have a bone to pick. An angry rant doesn’t bode well for the User if incorrect statements are made. By hydrogenated, you must mean trans fats because adding hydrogens tends to solidify fats and most vegetable fats are primarily unsaturated, liquid at room temperature. Trans fats are pretty much gone by now.

@Nemont and @OntarioHunter take your squabble to PMs. This thread is about more than your disagreements.

I had hoped me and the crew would skate by without an incident this year. We have been tested regularly, took all precautions, masks, worked remotely since March, more hand sanitizer than seemed reasonable, etc.

Flying home from Arizona on Wednesday I was watching a couple walk down the aisle toward their seats. The husband, looking in mid-60's is sweating and is the closest version of "death on a platter" I've seen in a while. They plop down one row ahead of me and across the aisle. Instantly he is coughing his lungs out. To get more breath while coughing, he would lower his mask to his chin.

I look at Marcus who is seated behind me. We share a common look that if ever we have seen someone with COVID, that guy is it.

Through out the hour-long flight he coughs every few minutes. Wife is in the window seat, he's in the aisle. When he coughs, he turns toward the aisle, turning slightly red, then almost blue, eventually slumping back in his seat when the session is over.

Glancing around as other watch the same, I can tell I am not the only person wondering, "How did this guy get allowed on this plane."

Get home Wednesday afternoon. Work from home that day, Thursday, Friday. Hmm. Maybe the guy on the plane was just a hard smoker and needed some more Camel non-filters to keep him rested.

I wake up Saturday morning to a 99.7F fever. Text my doc/hunting friend about the fever. With my underlying liver condition, he gets me tested ASAP. By Saturday night I'm a complete imitation of the guy on the plane. Mrs. Fin thinks I'm gonna need a lung transplant. Sunday morning is worse. Body aches, coughing, fever, thinking the man on the pale horse might be waiting for me out on the porch. Monday is not as bad.

This morning the results are in - positive. Explaining to the doctor where I had been and what I was exposed to, the most likely culprit is the flight home.

Fever is gone this morning. Cough is not as bad. Body aches still beyond what my age of 56 years old should provide. Thankful it seems to be trending better. If the trend on Sunday had continued, I am sure hospitalization would have been the option today. Still have my taste and smell.

Now, isolating for two weeks. Thankful it was only as bad as it was, and not worse.

Reflecting on the irony of all the precautions I have taken, along with my crew. All the tests we have submitted to before traveling. And then, on the last day of the last trip of a 100-day season, I get seated next to someone on a plane that likely was positive.

Fortunately Marcus was a row behind me. He is symptom free at this point and in the wilds of Idaho helping Michael on an elk hunt. Hoping he doesn't have it.
What a bummer. And they say flying has never been safer. 😬🙄 Get healed up soon!

The hunting trip you took was a nonessential trip and you did it in order to indulge yourself in a nonessential activity. If you were as high minded and self righteous about COVID as you claim to be then you would of foregone one hunting season instead of taking a chance of moving across international borders and coming to an area that had an outbreak. Instead you want to bad mouth everyone who didn't conform to your will and do as you say in order to allow you to indulge yourself. If your house has a mirror in it, then go take a look in it, the guy looking back at you; he suffers from some major issues of being a dick.

I am curious why you refused to follow the Canadian governments recommendations on non essential travel but have no problem whining about others not following recommendations down here?

Nemont

Hey old Sport, how come you’re not ragging on Randy for indulging in non-essential activities?

Hey old Sport, how come you’re not ragging on Randy for indulging in non-essential activities?
I know that isn't directed at me, but here is some background that might be surprising to a lot of people. We are a business. Most states have a list of what are essential businesses and exempt from some of the travel restriction, though still required to follow the COVID protocols of masks, isolation, quarantine, not mingling, etc.

Agree or disagree, most every state considers media, which we are, an "essential business." I did not know that until the folks at the New Mexico Health Department told me of such in their definitions. As I started looking at other state rules, the same applied.

So, being media, we were considered "essential business." Surprised me, but that is the answer in most states. I am sure some will say continuing our business activity of filming and creating media products is "non-essential" in their mind, but it was considered an essential business by most states.

I know that isn't directed at me, but here is some background that might be surprising to a lot of people. We are a business. Most states have a list of what are essential businesses and exempt from some of the travel restriction, though still required to follow the COVID protocols of masks, isolation, quarantine, not mingling, etc.

Agree or disagree, most every state considers media, which we are, an "essential business." I did not know that until the folks at the New Mexico Health Department told me of such in their definitions. As I started looking at other state rules, the same applied.

So, being media, we were considered "essential business." Surprised me, but that is the answer in most states. I am sure some will say continuing our business activity of filming and creating media products is "non-essential" in their mind, but it was considered an essential business by most states.
Who in their right mind could complain about getting high quality and no-cost hunting content on YouTube almost on a daily basis?! I for one, am grateful they keep producing quality entertainment amidst this insane time we’re all dealing with. Gotta hunt to keep the content coming. Keep up the great work Randy and team.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back