First Goose hunt of the season

Rat Fink

On Saturday, which was Montana's deer and elk rifle opener, the wife and I got our neighbor to watch our 7 month old and we hit up a wheat field just 10 minutes from home. I set up everything so she could tend to the baby and then get there just before shooting time. Birds started to show about 8 and we were packing up at 8:30. 8 honkers and we didn't even shoot at the main flocks that came after we limited out. That field will keep hunting well if we can keep it up.

Attachments

• Goose Hunt 102012 Cropped 2.JPG
    Goose Hunt 102012 Cropped 2.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 243
Opening day of elk/deer in MT is always a great day to hunt h20fowl. You usually have your stand to yourself! Well done, including your bride.

Good shoot, even better hat! Is that thing vintage foam front/mesh back?

Enjoy those Helena Valley shoots while you can, I'm not sure how long some of that ground will be available for hunting...

Good shoot, even better hat! Is that thing vintage foam front/mesh back?

Enjoy those Helena Valley shoots while you can, I'm not sure how long some of that ground will be available for hunting...

Thrift store score. For a measly $1.00 I got a classic blob camo cotton canvas hat. For 5 bucks I added the pants to go with. However said pants are a very tight squeeze for a man of my stature. If I drop 15 lbs I will get a chance to wear them.

The valley is getting tougher to hunt. Thankfully I have a GREAT connection. We help thin the whitetails and get waterfowl and fishing as a bonus.

Very nice shooting! 1/2 hr to limit sure would be nice on those extra cold days.
Grats to you and your wife!

"Enjoy those Helena Valley shoots while you can, I'm not sure how long some of that ground will be available for hunting"

So sad but true...

Those are some really big looking birds. Kansas goose starts Saturday and I have a Wichita semi-suburban pond lined up for some resident Canada goosing. As the pond is deep enough and we will have no dog along, I plan on bringing a fishing rod with a bass plug for retrieval purposes.

Congrats! A called goose hunt over a cut field like that is something I need to try. The few goose I've shot were jumped out of fields or ponds.

Nice shoot.

With your elk tag punched you have lots of time before the deer rut to shoot birds!

Looks like fun and good on you getting the wifey out of the house, I'm sure she appreciated it.

Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back