Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First ever!

BrentD

I went crappie fishing today. Again. I've been out about 5 times this year. So far not a single crappie has been seen. Not even one floating dead along the shoreline. In fact, I had not landed a fish until today. Turned out to be my first musky ever. On a crappie jig - which he made into hash.

My fish photography skills are gonna give Big Sky a run for his money.... NOT. But at least I got him released safely and quickly without taking him out of the water. Not sure how the heck one can photo a musky without at least three hands.

20220506 First Musky.jpg

I've got serious work to do to restore my skills after nearly 50 yrs absence from the spin fishing scene.

I went crappie fishing today. Again. I've been out about 5 times this year. So far not a single crappie has been seen. Not even one floating dead along the shoreline. In fact, I had not landed a fish until today. Turned out to be my first musky ever. On a crappie jig - which he made into hash.

My fish photography skills are gonna give Big Sky a run for his money.... NOT. But at least I got him released safely and quickly without taking him out of the water. Not sure how the heck one can photo a musky without at least three hands.

View attachment 221746

I've got serious work to do to restore my skills after nearly 50 yrs absence from the spin fishing scene.
The fish of 10,000 casts! Awesome catch! Glad u didn't get caught with any razor teeth. Said it before...nothing I miss more about my home state of PA than muskie fishing in the summers.

Congrats on #1! It can get in your blood.

Not my first ever but my best ever. Also fell to a crappie jig. If you look close enough you can see it in picture. We’ve pulled 2 others through the ice with crappie jigs as well. Nearly as effective as fishing for them on purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Your skills are right on since you got to take a picture of him. Hard to beat a pile of crappie fillets awaiting the frying pan, but that's an impressive fish.

Congrats on #1! It can get in your blood.

Not my first ever but my best ever. Also fell to a crappie jig. If you look close enough you can see it in picture. We’ve pulled 2 others through the ice with crappie jigs as well. Nearly as effective as fishing for them on purpose.
Nice colors on that one!

I couldn't catch a Musky if I tried. Only one I ever caught was on a Walleye rig while jigging on the Wisconsin River. Hell of a fight, and once I got him into the boat, the fight started all over again.

I've recently entered muskie-land and never fished nor seen one in person though looking forward to fishing (difference from "catching") them.

Pretty cool Brent! And holy smokes Thusby and BRoth!
I've caught a 44" pike and that was a beast though that 50" muskie holds the fresh water fear / vision of a tiger shark!

Awesome fish! Funny how stuff like that works. I caught my one and only musky on a 1 oz spoon while waiting for some buddies in another boat to catch up with us. Glad they were running late that day.

Careful! Next thing ya known youll be wanting to catch another! Musky fishing is an addiction to countless hours of boredom🤣. But man when you actually hook up its all forgotten!

I've recently entered muskie-land and never fished nor seen one in person though looking forward to fishing (difference from "catching") them.

Pretty cool Brent! And holy smokes Thusby and BRoth!
I've caught a 44" pike and that was a beast though that 50" muskie holds the fresh water fear / vision of a tiger shark!
If you need any pointers send me a PM.

I couldn't catch a Musky if I tried. Only one I ever caught was on a Walleye rig while jigging on the Wisconsin River. Hell of a fight, and once I got him into the boat, the fight started all over again.
I've had northerns like that. Once had a boated northern thrown a treble into a finger. Then I had a 4# fish hanging off one end of the Lazy Ike and me on the other with a landing net tangled in the mess. Finally unscrewed the hook eyelet and paddled a couple of miles home. Not a great day, but makes for an interesting, and long-lasting memory.
I grew up in Northern MN and musky fished most of my high school years, loved fishing for them but when you loose one of those $20 lures it stings a bit.
Left on is a 41" from Lake of the woods and the right one is a 50 1/2" from a small river system.
Broth82,
I too grew up in Northern Minnesota - looking to go back - but never encountered a musky up there. Never even heard of one up there (Ely area).

I wouldn't mind catching another, but I'm still looking for my first crappie since grad school (late-Pleistocene).

My dad was an avid fisherman who caught all kinds of fish all over North America, but for some reason, this was his favorite picture. It wasn't a great photo, nor was it his biggest, but it was special to him. Was it the fight, the fish, the trip, the day . . . I will never know, but this picture was on his bedside until he passed. This thread brought back memories of Dad on Mother's Day. Thanks for a few tearful but thankful moments.

1652022467194.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back