PEAX Equipment

First ever archery elk!

D-Mac

It’s taken a while to finally set down and write up a report from my archery elk hunt this year. It was a quick hunt, and successful to boot. Let me begin by stating I am by no means a proficient or even good elk hunter. I’ve always attributed what success I’ve had with tenacity. That being said, this hunt wiped me out.
I got into my camping spot mid afternoon on Monday. The season had opened the previous Saturday. The camp set up next to me was just finishing packing out a nice 5x5. They informed me the elk were bulging and still herded all up together. My tag was for either sex. While I said I would be happy with the first legal animal to offer me a shot within 40 yards. I was honestly likely to hold out for a bull at least the first few days, I had four days to hunt. The other hunters were tagged out, so they didn’t mind sharing their intel on the area.
They pointed out some spots on the map where they had heard some bugles, some being heard that morning as they were packing out their elk. I quickly unloaded my camp, which really just consisted of my bivy being placed on a cot and headed out for an afternoon hunt. I made it just over a mile when I happened to look up and see a cow elk skylined as she walked along a ridge line about 300 yards away. I figured that I would try and angle ahead so as to catch her and see what else might be with her.
Of course I lost track of her rather quickly, but things seem to work out if you follow your instincts. About 30 minutes later I caught a glimpse of her working back towards me across a the lip of a fairly open bench. She seemed to be moving fairly quick and I figured something must have spooked her. Sure enough a couple seconds later there was what looked to be a decent 5x5 trailing her. They both looked to be trotting on a route that would bring them right at me!
I was so excited at this point! I couldn’t believe this was actually going to work out like this! Not just seeing elk, but a bull that was trotting towards me! Of course as my emotions are running high and I’m staring (likely with my mouth hung a gape) I never even thought about knocking an arrow, getting a range, or putting in a diaphragm call. At about 30 yards the elk trotted behind a row of bushes. As several hundred pound animals can do they simply disappeared. I have no idea where they went, but they went in a hurry. I never say them again and I never heard them either.
That was my only encounter that night, but seeing as how it was within the first hour of the hunt, I counted it as a resounding success! The next day would be even better.

I began the next day with the plan to get high. I set off well before daylight and was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise from about 8500 feet. I found a bench with an fairly open aspen grove that had been pointed out on the map by the successful hunters the afternoon before. I had also hunted this particular area before and knew this spot was used by elk. I found a spot where I could stand in front of some fir trees on the downwind side of the opening. I figured I could set here and call some, but honestly I was going to use this as an ambush spot. It seemed as though the elk liked to hang out on the bench and then go back and forth over the ridge line which was just about 300 feet above the bench.

Sure enough it wasn’t about 30 minutes before I heard a bull bugling close by. I’m sure my eyes about bugged out of their sockets and my heart began beating faster as the adrenaline hit me even though the elk was likely hundreds of yards away. It was September, I was in woods, I had a tag in my pack, and the elk were bugling! He kept sounding off every few minutes. It sounded like he was getting closer.

Now one of the main reasons I chose this spot to stand, was because I am not a good elk caller. Not at all. I mean I can bugle and mew. However, a.) I do t think they sound very authentic and b.) I don’t think I have the proper cadence or timing. So while I did try to bugle back at the bull, I did so sparingly, hesitating and it was probably even worse than normal due to my lack of confidence and nervousness. But that’s ok, i live pretty close to Rocky Mountain National Park and I’ve heard some actual elk make some bad bugles too.

Anyways, I’m sitting there staring as hard as I can into the direction of the bugles, of course after a while I begin to see elk moving in the trees, several hundred yards off at this point. Cows slipping in the tree trunks, eating and walking, never able to make out an entire elk at any point. I can hear the bull still bugling, but can’t yet see him. I try one of my bugles again, hoping he feels challenged. Probably only resulted in putting him at ease that I was much to weak of a bull to worry about.

At one point I look over 90 degrees to where the cows are and there 30 yards away (thankfully I had the foresight to range some trees when I first set up) is a bull elk staring me down. Perfectly broadside, looking like something out of a magazine. The sun was coming down through the aspens, freshly fallen leaves under his feet. It was amazing. I don’t know why he did not run away. He watched my slowly draw my bow back. I settled the pin just behind his shoulder as best as my shaking hands would allow.

I watched the arrow sail though the air. Whack! It hit him and sounded like all the air had been let out of a drum in one moment. A bright red spot appeared on his side, farther back then where I had intended. I watched as he ran a wide circle around me and into the timber headed downhill. I sat down as a rich rush of emotions overtook me. Amazement, awe, gratitude, disbelief, relief. It is so hard to describe the moments after a shot.

I knew that I had not made the best shot, I somehow waited three hours before trailing him. As it turned out this was unnecessary as he only made it about 100 yards before I found him! Turns out he wasn’t as broadside as I thought and my arrow actually caught the far lung. It looked like he had bedded down and died. I was so ecstatic, this was my first elk with a bow and only my second archery kill! I also learned the pain of solo elk hunting as it took 4 trips to get him off the mountain, for a grand total of 29.8 miles and 2834 feet of elevation gain for each trip (thanks OnX). Can’t wait until next year!77F6DEAF-CF12-43D3-A36D-E320D232769B.jpg 95FACC17-DE4C-45D4-9F73-0ED52BE438D5.jpg

Attachments

• 8A9D535A-7C6E-4AC3-B870-F3EE7C8CE081.jpg
    8A9D535A-7C6E-4AC3-B870-F3EE7C8CE081.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 502
  • 702C94E8-6212-4B92-9533-E16378586382.jpg
    702C94E8-6212-4B92-9533-E16378586382.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 503
Great job! You really had your work cut out for you with packing it out by yourself. Bet you felt it the next day. Congrats on your elk!

Congratulations! Great job solo! That first one with a bow is a wonderful thing..

Great job. There is nothing else like it for me.

congrats !!!! my 1st archery hunt is next year, looking forward to chasing some ROSIES out my way with a bow , 29.8 miles lets round that up to 30 , you earned every part of that elk

Great story! It sounded like an awesome hunt! It's amazing how those big animals can move around like ghosts. Congratulations! Thats a fine bull!

Thank you for sharing this great story. Also I’m glad those hunters were able to share some useful intel about potential spots with you; not many hunters like to share useful information. Now you know how much effort it takes to pack something out. Those experiences make us appreciate the animal more and choose wisely to whom we share the meat :) – ColoradoHunter719

Great job and congratulations on a great bull! Takes some bravery to set yourself up for packing out an elk solo.....kudos.

Thanks guys! It was a great hunt! I prefer to hunt solo, but I’ve always shared a camp, sure makes the pack out much easier! Had a great fall, filled all tags, got my wife on antelope and got some mounts back from last year!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back