Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

First elk

Bhoesl

Ever since moving to Montana from Michigan 5 years ago I have been trying very hard to get my first elk. Harvested plenty of deer and had some close encounters with elk, but no success (until now). During rifle season last year I found a wallow here in northwest Montana that I went back to this summer and set up a camera and a tree stand.
throughout the summer I had lots of pictures of elk, mostly cows and calves. When I showed up to the stand on opening day of archery season a couple weeks ago I was disappointed to check the camera and see no pictures of elk for the previous 2 weeks. Also disappointing was the presence of cattle which I had never seen here before (National Forest). I saw nothing opening day other than those cattle. I returned to the stand before daylight Sunday morning only to immediately have cattle all around in front of me again. I was about ready to give up when I saw all those cattle stare off into the thick timber in the same direction. EA65CA66-2721-4136-A5AD-1AC2555CD9C3.jpeg5598168E-48BA-4B74-B1E2-44322E3B2760.jpeg7CB0E0BB-73C7-4327-9429-000BCE70C2F2.jpegFollowing their gaze I caught just a glimpse of an elk probably 100 yards behind me. I gave a few cow calls and didn’t see or hear anything until about 10 minutes later this bull stepped out of the trees only 15 yards in front of me!
I made a good shot and he only staggered off about 50 yards before falling. With help from my wife, some friends of the family, and another couple we happened to run into at the trailhead (and graciously offered their help) we managed to get everything packed out in 1 trip.
It was a very memorable and rewarding hunt that I will always remember and I was happy to share that excitement with family and friends!

Ever since moving to Montana from Michigan 5 years ago I have been trying very hard to get my first elk. Harvested plenty of deer and had some close encounters with elk, but no success (until now). During rifle season last year I found a wallow here in northwest Montana that I went back to this summer and set up a camera and a tree stand.
throughout the summer I had lots of pictures of elk, mostly cows and calves. When I showed up to the stand on opening day of archery season a couple weeks ago I was disappointed to check the camera and see no pictures of elk for the previous 2 weeks. Also disappointing was the presence of cattle which I had never seen here before (National Forest). I saw nothing opening day other than those cattle. I returned to the stand before daylight Sunday morning only to immediately have cattle all around in front of me again. I was about ready to give up when I saw all those cattle stare off into the thick timber in the same direction. View attachment 154900View attachment 154901View attachment 154902Following their gaze I caught just a glimpse of an elk probably 100 yards behind me. I gave a few cow calls and didn’t see or hear anything until about 10 minutes later this bull stepped out of the trees only 15 yards in front of me!
I made a good shot and he only staggered off about 50 yards before falling. With help from my wife, some friends of the family, and another couple we happened to run into at the trailhead (and graciously offered their help) we managed to get everything packed out in 1 trip.
It was a very memorable and rewarding hunt that I will always remember and I was happy to share that excitement with family and friends!
Awesome! Nice work!

Great job. Meat packed out bone in. Good for you. I'm no fan of the "boneless" method, especially in dry conditions. Too dirty.

Back