Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

first elk hunt

Jchristians

I am going on my first elk hunt this in Wyoming elk unit 56, I am wondering what kind of yardages I should be practicing at?

Congrats! I have not hunted that area, but I have hunted farther north, 54. Will you be doing. Rifle or archery?

As far as you can!

Be realistic on your abilities and honest with the guide if using one. Elk are big and loud and can shake your knees when screaming.

Sounds like I nailed it-midwestern whitetail hunter laughing at people who actually hunt predators in the WEST and personally observe what wolves do. Where do you get all your wolf knowledge CNN? I shoot to 80 yards in practice and have never shot at an elk over 50 most are 30 yards or less. Practice long it makes the average shot feel like a chip shot. Shoot at 10 sounds silly but a lot of my opportunities are very close. I don’t know about 56 or Wyoming but in north Idaho you need to practice at steep angles and uneven footing also shooting through openings in brush. Shooting 80 or more in your yard won’t prepare you for shooting in the mountains

Are you hunting rifle or archery? If rifle, everyone is telling me to get comfortable out to 400 yards.

What ranges are you shooting now? Honestly your question is a little alarming, you need to know your limits in the field and not exceed them, as others said practice out as far as you can, but have a hard limit for live shots based on your actual proficiency.

There's a reason those tags have leftovers every year, it's a tough hunt especially diy. The grizzlies are a serious issue there, I have a friend in Cody and that area is where he sees the most grizzlies, several encounters and had one knock down a meat pole to steal their mule deer. I know the price is high but if it's anything of a possibility I'd be considering a guide, would provide full access to the wilderness portion, which is the best area in September, horses, more security for bears, and they know the area. Talk to the biologist for that area to get a sense of number of elk outside wilderness in September, my understanding is it's pretty limited.

Don't leave your limits up to the opinions of a bunch of guys on a hunting forum. Do what you can do within your limits. Get closer to the elk if you need to to get a shit instead of taking a possible awkward shot and risk wounding an elk. Practice with your limits, shoot within your limits, and go out and give it hell. Do yourself a favor and concentrate more on positional shooting and uncomfortable angles than distance.

400yds? Good Lord man! Get comfy at 200 and practice being a hunter, not a shooter.
You did notice I said "everyone is telling me". I'm not one to shoot further than I'm comfortable with, nor am I one of those goobers that backs up to get their "personal best". I'm with Randy, those guys don't respect the animals and should have their permits taken away. As for me, I love a good 50 yard broad side shot while they're looking away!! But I'm extremely comfortable out to 300yrds if there's no opportunity to get closer. The closer the better in my opinion.

I think a lot of focus gets put on yardage during practice. I elevated my shooting by focusing on mechanics vs. yardage. Shooting blind bales, focus on follow through, mechanics of release. Drawing and focusing on just aiming, no shot, just hold and aim. This opened up my yardage considerably.

Most any sport the athlete does not just grip it and rip it. They work on the mechanics and form. A good practice routine is what you need.

You did notice I said "everyone is telling me". I'm not one to shoot further than I'm comfortable with, nor am I one of those goobers that backs up to get their "personal best". I'm with Randy, those guys don't respect the animals and should have their permits taken away. As for me, I love a good 50 yard broad side shot while they're looking away!! But I'm extremely comfortable out to 300yrds if there's no opportunity to get closer. The closer the better in my opinion.
Everyone is telling you 400 for a good reason. Many western hunting situations there is no chance to get closer than 400 or longer (cross canyon) and ignore the self important "real" hunter. They probably tell you no sense shooting anything bigger than a 6.5 or 270 too. Come home happy with meat and the "guy who learned how to hunt" can eat tag soup or he will shoot a forkhorn mule deer(most vulnerable animal in the woods) and feel ethically superior because he got within 50 yards of it with his 30-30 . After all being superior he knows you cant eat the horns ha ha

You should be practicing out at 60 yards, often. When I start a practice I start 50 most often and should probably start at 60. And then go to 60 or 70 and EXPECT good groups with 5 arrows that all would kill rather than wound at those ranges. If not getting good tight groups at 60 you are doing something wrong: form/bow tune etc and need to get it nailed down to make shorter shots a gimme.

Then when hunting the 20-40 yard shots are a LOT easier and more certain. I have not shot an elk over 45 and don't plan to. Most are 35 yards or a lot less.

Key is justified HIGH confidence in each shot you take or you pass on shooting. So much can and does go wrong (string hits sleeve/binos, unfamiliar footing/shooting position, wind, nerves/buck fever, equipment malfunction, etc without throwing a cavalier attitude into the mix.

Surest way to wreck a hunt is to take a shot you really know was a wing and a prayer instead of thoughtful execution of a shot you have made hundreds of times and successfully 90% of the time.

As a newer archery hunter myself, I did a lot of practice between 20-45 yards. Not just at those distances, but also in different stances, angles, and weather. Learning how to adjust for angle or other challenges will help you become better faster and more confident. Good luck!

Just as important as distance is knowing where to shoot them. Especially the different angles. Elk have a pretty large kill zone, but the further away they are the more likely they are to react to the sound and move before the arrow gets there. I always refresh my memory with vital pics before I go.

Attachments

• C9971255-5CDB-49CF-8354-0D43425EE4AF.jpeg
    C9971255-5CDB-49CF-8354-0D43425EE4AF.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 25
  • CF893106-D62F-413C-AF10-BBF1C89AE7F2.png
    CF893106-D62F-413C-AF10-BBF1C89AE7F2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • F8337031-758F-4A44-B754-65FDA10894E5.jpeg
    F8337031-758F-4A44-B754-65FDA10894E5.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 25
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts