First Elk Hunt

Colorado, thanks. I have been looking at ailitude sickness pills. What’s your take on them. Do they really work.

I just thought bigger animal heavier Bullet. I hunt whitetail here in Georgia with 168 grain Hornady SST. I’m not opposed to going with 168 grain. It would extend my shooting yardage.

Colorado, thanks. I have been looking at ailitude sickness pills. What’s your take on them. Do they really work.

"Do they work"-Me
"Yeah we use it (Acetazolamide) for acute altitude sickness, we typically only do it if your sick or have proven issues, but it's not typically a prophylaxis. Their doctor should dose them for it, don't just take them on your own. They are a medication that among other things are used as a diuretic."- Wife (MD)

Coach. I have read all the hype on the internet about these mask. I know there is no replacing the amount of oxygen in the air at 10,000 feet. But I can tell you that by using the mask while walking at 495 feet while the mask is set for 12,000 feet really makes my lungs work.

It's actually not making your lungs work at all. The physiological changes that must take place will not be created by a mask. They will be created by functioning at higher altitude, where the air is less dense (in conjunction with lower atmospheric pressure), thereby providing less oxygen across the capillary beds and pulmonary membranes. In response to this, your body adapts by producing more red blood cells and more capillaries.

https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/adapt/adapt_3.htm

You could achieve the same thing the mask does by running sprint and/or hill intervals. You are merely learning to breathe in a more efficient manner.

Diamox (acetazolamide) will not be found in the OTC remedies for altitude sickness. It would be a mainstay treatment for patients who presented for urgent care for altitude sickness but generally it is not a longterm drug that is looked upon as safe due to its many side effects. One Major side effect would be dehydration as it causes the body to dump water (as stated above). We use it to manage excess edema (brain and eye) in my practice. Not sure how effective the OTC remedies are but I think the best advice is to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated before and during the hunt. Good luck everyone!
Steve

The masks will make your lungs feel work as will buying a dust mask all they are doing is limiting the amount of atmosphere (21% of which is oxygen).

The problem with them is that at say 10k ft there still is 21% oxygen in the atmosphere. It is just spread out more within the atmosphere (Daltons Law). The partial pressure of oxygen at sea level is 160mm/Hg with total atmospheric pressure of 760mm/Hg. While 10k feet the pressure is 110mm/Hg of oxygen and a total atmospheric pressure of 522.6mm/Hg.

The big thing is there isn't less oxygen at elevation still 21% it's just that the particles are spread out more.

So the mask while it conditions your lungs to work harder it doesn't do anything to make your lungs able to pull more oxygen out of the atmosphere.

As far as the "altitude sickness" pills they are a diuretic (water pill) they work by pulling the fluid out of your body. When you become acidic your vessels will leak fluid and this fluid builds up in the lungs and brain which causes altitude sickness. I also believe they make your body more alkaline (ie raise your pH) altitude sickness is caused by a build up of CO2, making you acidic (lower pH) that is why during sleep is when you get hit with it. As your respiratory rate is naturally slower.

There is more to the process but this is the basics.

Last edited:
My post got long I didn't realize others answered this all previously sorry for the redundancy

I just thought bigger animal heavier Bullet. I hunt whitetail here in Georgia with 168 grain Hornady SST. I’m not opposed to going with 168 grain. It would extend my shooting yardage.

I have killed a couple elk with that exact bullet. Works great. Accuracy trumps bullet size. Water is good, but make sure you take electrolytes with your water. Chlorophyll soft gels help with acclimation. I'm also a jiu Jitsu guy but don't forget leg work outs and strength training for when you get your elk. Good luck.

Altitude seems to affect me more now than when i was younger.
In 1984 I took the cog rail train up Pikes Peak and me and 30 boy scouts played frisbee at the summit.
This June we drove up and I felt horrible once I got to the summit, slightly dizzy and couldn't eat a bite until next day.
2 days later we were climbing the Manitou Steps which must have been in the 8K 10K feet elevation range.
2014 at Keystone Colorado we stayed a week and it took me the 1st couple days to get aclimated.
I guess my point as one of the flatest , flatlanders is to try hard to arrive in the hunt area a couple days early ( even in hotel as tourist ).

At these elevations I usually drink about 80 OZ of water a day.

Good luck on your hunt

Regarding your bullet weight my 06' prefers 150 grain partitions.
In 308 my guess is that the sweet spot for your gun should be between 150 & 165 grains.
Old wisdom was always that if you need more than 150 grains in a 308 "you need more gun"

Get plain old "Rolaids" tabs eat them like candy mints. A retired AF friend used them at the academy when he taught high altitude training to all the cadets and midshipmen from all the service academys at 10,000+ ft and those kids were in shape. Like he told me, "eat them like M&Ms". He had tried all of the various antacid tabs and plain old "Rolaids" controlled the decrease in blood pH (what happens with altitude sickness) better than anything. Cheap and easy to carry too. GJ

Last edited:
Rancho, I picked up some Barnes 168 grain TTXS today. I am going to load them and see how they do. I use 165 grain Hornady SST here in Georgia for whitetail.

.308 will give you plenty punch. Enjoy the experience and good luck!

Thanks for all the info. I’m getting more pumped up the closer it gets.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back