Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

First DIY Antelope Hunt Advice

cwormet

Hi,
I am a resident from Wisconsin and am planning an archery antelope hunt with a couple of friends out to South Dakota next year. We are planning on hunting for the opener which is Mid-August. We intend on hunting spot and stalk with decoys for the time we are there. We are not looking for trophies by any means, we are just looking to bring meat back home for the freezer. We have done some research on public land maps and hunting info on forums, but are just looking for any extra advice.

As of now, this is what I have found out and plan to do. Any comments or experiences would be appreciated based on this info.
  • We plan on hunting the NW portion of the state, specifically Harding, Perkins, and Butte County
  • Spot and stalk hunting, from what I understand it will mostly be long shots of 50-80 yards with the bow
  • We plan on mostly just driving around until we see antelope
  • Intend on hunting all public land
  • Camping on BLM Land
  • We also considered Montana in the 700 units, but from maps, it appeared that SD had better access from roads
  • We understand we are going to have to walk far off the road, and that is okay if it means less pressure
There are some things we are unsure about however and have some questions
  • What are the draw odds for archery antelope? We all have 0 preference points.
  • Any tips with decoys?
  • How long were your hunts in the past?
  • We kind of landscape should we be driving around looking for?
  • Any gear at all that you're glad you brought or wish you would've?
  • What did you do for food while out there?
Any other advice or experience is welcome!
Thanks!

Not sure a decoy will help in mid August, the rut is Sept into early Oct , but it may make some animals more relaxed at a waterhole.
Fence crossings would be a good ambush point.

Decoys -- better later in the season when the rutting action picks up. May not be your best bet in August, but bring them. You never know!
Hunt length -- depends! It has been an opening day / hour one success up to a few days. Take the best opportunity you get the first time you get it with archery antelope.
If you are spot and stalking, rolling, broken topography is your best bet. Coulees, draws; basically anything that can hide you while you sneak into range or into an ambush spot. Spend your time glassing, and watching for bucks to bed and then plan your approach. Play the wind, move fast when out of sight, then sloooow down to get into range. Yes, 50-60 yards is common, but don't get antsy and fling 80 yard bombs. A wounded antelope is not worth it.
Gear: great optics, great tripod. Don't skimp here. You will spend a lot of time glassing, picking apart distant hillsides, draws, etc. A good sit pad is nice. A few good coolers loaded with block ice. If you are truck camping, you can make it as comfy or as basic as you like.
Food: Again, if truck camping, go for broke -- steaks, burgers, eggs/bacon, etc. Cold beer is also key!

Good luck!

Antelope are curious critters, bring a white piece of cloth and tie it at the end of a stick to hold over your head. They might just walk right over to you.
Bring a ground blind and have at least one member of your party sit at a water hole in the mornings.
Look for areas with deep washes that you can get into and crawl around. There are areas with interconnecting washes that can get you just about anywhere unseen.
Keep your expectations reasonable. Only 1/3 of archery hunters are going to shoot a buck with a few more shooting does. If you show up in shape and can hunt full days without tiring you have a much better chance. I would plan to walk 10-12 miles a day and be happily surprised if you don't need to.

Last I checked you needed 2 points to draw in SD.

Also, consider the 900 tag in MT. Good statewide, garunteed draw, starts Aug 15.

I tried it this past August in WY. Depending on the terrain and cover available it is very doable. I was able to get within 22 yards of a couple antelope and was at full draw before I realized they had cheek patches. I only had doe tags. We had several other opportunities spot and stalk but all on bucks.

The first animal I took I easily closed the distance to 60 yds. by walking behind a slow moving vehicle. My point is that the decoy can be just about anything that they see as non-threatening like a car. So, an antelope decoy would probably be okay so long as it hides you, the silhouette of a heifer may be better. Also, we found that being an extra fence post along a fence line can work as well.

Lastly a monkey can fill an antelope tag from a blind situated on water and there is no shame in it, so bring a blind in case you need it. That is how I filled my second tag.

Good luck and don't forget to have fun. I almost missed out on that part taking the hunt too seriously.

You asked about gear. I don't know the area you are going to hunt but we had plenty of low lying cactus. Bring knee pads and tweezers.

I hunt that area a fair amount, lots of goats in Butte and Harding county's. Those county's also recieve the most hunting pressure but more then enough ground to get away from most of it. The short grass prairie is pretty wide open, so there's not alot of ground cover to use out there.
Lots of little cactus, definitely bring a tweezers. Good comfortable boots and lightweight breathable clothes, more then likely gonna be hot that time of year.

I really thought that a cow decoy would be of benefit when in WY last fall.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back