Yeti GOBOX Collection

First Deer

NM34R

Finaly successful on my fourth deer tag! Got it done with a muzzleloader!
Hiked in about 2 miles and busted out 3 legal bucks but they were headed towards a buddy so I continued on and noticed some legs further up in some trees. Thought I was busted again when he took off until 8 bull elk came crashing in to the area. There was a water hole and they started to jump in and spar until a bugle sounded off up above us and they took off.
When I made it to the water hole there was a makeshift blind set up and a dirt road headed out of the area. Since there was already so much action in the area I decided to stick around. The blind was 52 yards from the far side of the water hole. All the while the bulls were bugling all around, 30 minutes later I hear some rocks rolling down from the ridge on the far side. The cows were first and then the bull came down and layer in the water. After a few minutes I thought I was busted when the cows nose went to the air but they were looking down the valley. They moved slightly away from the water hole and my buck came in and started drinking. More elk were starting to move into the area and I was getting anxious. I finally decided to take the shot the next time his head came up. It wasn’t ideal quartering towards me at a slight downward angle but I was afraid with all the action it was just a mater of time before he took off. He staggered 5 yds and dropped.The elk didn’t move.

396DC750-D23E-4478-82DA-21368E25AB6F.jpg
You can see my deer laying to the left and above the stump
2A693B02-2EAC-4FCF-BE85-EF63C391834B.jpg

3DF0F152-69B4-46DF-ACD1-4144FA53AB67.jpg

6CCEE88C-CE49-48DF-8C20-77D3D0B41825.jpg

EB69F908-0624-4BF9-B73B-6DDFB90515E4.jpg

Very nice first deer ..... scratch that 'first deer' part, that's just a great deer, congrats! Curious about that much velvet and green, was this earlier in the seasons?

Thats a really nice first!

P.s. i like the picture with the bull in the background. Sounds like it was a cool hunt!

Last edited:
Thanks all, the taxidermist said he thought it was a mid 160’s which is real big for this area. I don’t know or really care, I was just happy and relieved to finally get a deer!

Thanks again,
Rod

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back