Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First Blacktail hunt

Bambistew

Wyodeerhunter and I made a trip down south to chase some blacktails last month. Quite a fun trip and one I hope to work into the mix every fall.

The planning started about a month before. Surprisingly (or not), the planning was pretty easy and the whole trip went off with out a hitch, minus leaving my trekker poles at one camp site.

We only had 4 days to hunt and travel would cost us a day on both sides. We maximized our exploration by changing locations at night. We also spent a lot of time exploring the area and getting to know the habits of the deer, what they liked, what to look for etc. The one thing I wasn't really prepared for was to hunt in the rain/snow all day long, every day and night. It pretty much rained 22 of 24 hours a day. Quality rain gear was a must, as well as boots... next time I think I'll look into either waist high waders and good boots, or a quality pair of knee high rubber boots. The quintessential "Extra Tough" boots suck to hike in and I've never found how people get around in them in the hills. We both wore our standard leathers. they were soaked through by the end of the first day.

20151114_152440_zpsl9kaq8jg.jpg

We camped out in the back of a rental truck, which was ok... at bit damp, but we managed. We always pack light, and this trip was no exception. I think we had 40lbs of beer, for a total weight of 50lbs in one cooler, a backpack full of gear each and a spare cooler for meat. We had to pick up another one for the ride home. Met a few locals along the way, and learned a lot.

The creeks are DEEP, the woods are thick, and do NOT try to walk through a clear cut.

20151113_152805_zpsqulw6aoa.jpg

I took two small bucks the second morning. The came into the call. Shot distance was about 40 yards. Shot one and a second one popped out.

20151112_110946_zpsm5kpge5c.jpg

The third day Wyo shot a small buck in the morning. We called him and another one in, the small one came into about 5 yards, the other never showed himself. Later that after noon, we called in another buck. I spotted him at about 200 yards, he circled down wind came into about about 40 yards before I sent a warning shot, and then a followup into his neck. He crumpled on the spot.

XefQKetshD0VVv0bp1XYbzYN0iR8B_TXQm_bhTuj5KNonaT2pWXxNkTK_9DScPUUqGVRaOYMrR3qUvfz6-XKAdc0MzKf57jpchD9ZrfVjyjri_ou9KhEnQP5t9KfCxoImzrCimcW1K16AogO7o39xx_MHmVAoaqMUjIWTmj5SZfOzQjtnO4oVANe9C3l7LkqllMEOptac0UAku2dJgKIQ-QwAQ2eDFgEen_0NwV4rhyYdhT2POZhFcx71vVHMRuf0oJp2f1f_dPwxLAw8Dw5wvxXOn2fzPkImCD3sbYbr8XMU3pSTsaz9npkf5Sg6NuQDDrVrLuZIIvtNsa2eWp4-f5Y_x6jBXjpFNNFiozIgUS56Q65lOlqpuPSIyXGHNri-uUgS7vWiMqwYhBZL3oAV7HdhiL3Cdsp5Y1Uof7lIcwHWwtoGc8IZ76dT8phCxZDbGXmb4-8WXxOwViuP-PeOz_8BC0Z4xUzOkCHEKnc0MykwITs3Hyk4N9S1NiBHAskSrjOXGZ0pLBAmgSnRoR_TptfHHx_0yv8WLTQf9x7nKat82m0h_NhEzbsujwAL8wP7FK-OA=w463-h824-no

20151113_125004_zps36qainzr.jpg

We got back to the truck about an hour past dark. Navigating in the dark with a GPS sucked especially hard due to the heavy forest, swamps and rain.

As always I wish I would have taken more pictures. Its hard to when it was raining so much.

Last edited:
Man, those deer have beautiful antlers. Might have to put a blacktail hunt on the bucket list! Congrats on the successful hunt!

You can't use google url links, they only last a short time for other people. Most of your images just show a big minus sign.

Nice! Looks.....wet! I'm sure it was a good time. That's a stud buck you shot.

You can't use google url links, they only last a short time for other people. Most of your images just show a big minus sign.

I get so frustrated with photobucket... half the time the pictures don't edit/rotate.

It seems like the links work for some people and not others? I swapped out most of the links, but some of the pictures are upside down.

Lawnboy based on my experience most people use fawn distress sounding call. They are similar to the call E.L.K. makes that people use for mule deer in Montana.

Works like a charm once they hit the muskeg and beaches.

Earlier I could only see 1 of 5. Now I see 4 of 5. Cool hunt Bambi, thanks for sharing.

You don't say where or what weapon, rifle, bow, muzzleloader? Great hunt it sounds like. I want to go to a state that let's me whack 2 or 3. So give up the location...haha!

Nice photos. 40 pounds of beer sounds a little light though, when it's raining 22 hours a day. Probably dark for about 18 of those also?

Great hunt! How do and what do you use to call a Blacktail in with?

There are lots of different calls. Most are fawn bleets of some sort, but rattling and grunt calls can work too.

Set up where the deer might be, and call. They may come charging in or take a while and circle down wind. Pretty fun and frustrating at the same time. I would say we'd get a response on 1 of 10 set ups? We didn't have a clue what we were doing though, so learned on the fly.

Where did you go,POW??I had a fun time hunting them a couple years back and plan the same trip you made with camp out of the back of a rental truck.I'm stupid and like the early season hunting them up in the alpine instead of down low and in the rut.Never been to a place where it rains so much though,but the blacktails seem to move better in the rain

Great story and pic's. I'm curious about the length of time/sequence in which you are calling. Thanks and good hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dfair2798
Back