Firewood for a wall tent hunt

2rocky

Contemplating buying firewood for my out of state hunt. Price is certainly higher than they used to be, but I like the idea of having cut split and seasoned wood ready to go and not spend a few hours that could be used to scout.

There is a local firewood company in the town near my unit that quoted me $115 for 100 pieces . Seems like overkill for a 4-10 day hunt though.

Lowest low in the 10 day forecast is 20 degrees... Maybe I could get by with 3 big boxes of store wood?

I was actually contemplating the same. For a trip we are constantly looking at ways to save time. Of course there are some variables, size of stove/tent, amount of use, and weather. But let's say for an average wall tent with shitty weather. Curious what long time hunters say. I would think a 1/2 cord would be enough for a week long hunt using only at night.

Good way to spend more time hunting. Do they deliver to the camping spot or do you need to go to town to pick it up?

Chainsaw free pallets to the proper size - usually good wood from oak or other hardwoods. Don’t worry about the nails. Let it season over the summer. Why pay big $ for quality wood thats free? Best of luck, TheGrayRider.

Contemplating buying firewood for my out of state hunt. Price is certainly higher than they used to be, but I like the idea of having cut split and seasoned wood ready to go and not spend a few hours that could be used to scout.

There is a local firewood company in the town near my unit that quoted me $115 for 100 pieces . Seems like overkill for a 4-10 day hunt though.

Lowest low in the 10 day forecast is 20 degrees... Maybe I could get by with 3 big boxes of store wood?

I think you answered your own question. What is a few hours of your time worth? If your schedule is tight,,,saving a half day or more gathering, splitting, and stacking wood seems worth the money.

If you have plenty of time,,, then there is a sort of enjoy gathering wood.

Here is my thought. First, where are you hunting and what is the available of standing dead/down dry wood? If you don't know how much wood you will be consuming depending on the wood you buy could be chancy. I would suggest at least bringing the gear needed to cut/split if necessary. Also remember that "forecast" weather in the mountains is NOT something to bank on.....where we hunt I have had weather between -10 and 65 in the same week. Just food for thought.

I'm surprised no comment on the price....Seemed steep to me... As for the distance...Depending on the trailhead, the firewood place is 30 minutes or an hour from camp. If I brought a saw I could cut a lot of wood in the time it would take to go back and forth. Difference would be dryness, uniformity, etc.

Now scouting, I may cover that stretch of road anyway so it might be a wash if I had the bed of my truck full on the drive in....

Last edited:
Craiglist and search for firewood for the location you a going. You should find everything from boxes to log truck loads way cheaper than what you were quoted.

You haven’t said what state, but between beetle kill or old burns I have never had a hard time finding dead and seasoned standing trees, if there are trees around.

Edit: you could always cut a bunch of six foot logs and take them to camp. Cut and split as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised no comment on the price....Seemed steep to me...
I believe regional pricing, type, and qty play a large factor. For NW MT - We pay $200 per seasoned, quartered, no longer than 16" larch (mainly) / fir cord. We buy 8 cords so it drops the cost maybe $20-30 a cord.
When truck base camp - chainsaw is my friend. First day is typically set for prepping camp and that includes standing dead lodgepole. Drop 12"+ base, 1/2 / 1/4 up and stack in tent.

You haven’t said what state, but between beetle kill or old burns I have never had a hard time finding dead and seasoned standing trees, if there are trees around.

Edit: you could always cut a bunch of six foot logs and take them to camp. Cut and split as needed.
This
Now if you are hunting is some places north of the Yellowstone you might need to pack in any wood.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back